Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Private school fired unwed pregnant woman

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/22/pregnantteacher.suit.ap/index.html

Legal or not?
November 22, 2005, 7:04 PM
Arta
Probably legal, but completely stupid.
November 22, 2005, 7:38 PM
Explicit[nK]
It's very stupid, and that school needs to get over it.
November 22, 2005, 9:04 PM
CrAz3D
Stupid, yeah, but its their right to have their school put forth a certain image
November 22, 2005, 10:10 PM
Forged
That is a really bad idea though.  This women is haveing a baby, a life form that requires her care for it, and they take away her source of income?
November 22, 2005, 11:35 PM
CrAz3D
I think they're making her accept the consequences to her actions.
November 22, 2005, 11:36 PM
Explicit[nK]
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13322.msg135064#msg135064 date=1132702589]
[/quote]

Just because her belief structure isn't the same as the school's?  If that were the case, the school should have saved this woman all the trouble and not have hired her to begin with.  She'd have established herself elsewhere.
November 22, 2005, 11:51 PM
Forged
[/quote]

And the babie,  as a christian you would think they would forgive and forget.  She could have simplly aborted the baby and they would have never known, however after making a mistake she decided not to make another one, and look at where she is now; an unwed jobless mother to be...

However from the looks of it she is going to win her case.

http://www.sidley.com/news/pub.asp?PubID=134716252001

[quote]
Enforcing employment contracts that prohibit extra-marital sex

Some religious institutions require their employees to agree — as a condition of employment — to abstain from sexual relations outside of marriage. While such policies can be enforced without violating federal discrimination laws, religious institutions can avoid unnecessary risks by focusing on the misconduct itself, and not on the resulting pregnancy, when responding to instances of non-compliance.

As amended by the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 ("PDA"), Title VII prohibits employment discrimination "on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or [any] related medical condition." 42 U.S.C. § 2000e(k). Because Title VII’s so-called "religious exemption" extends only to discrimination on the basis of religion, see 42 U.S.C. §§ 2000(e)-1(a) & 2000(e)-2(e), a religious institution that terminates an unwed female employee because she is pregnant can be held liable for discriminating on the basis of pregnancy. That is true, moreover, even if the discrimination is linked to a religious prohibition on extra-marital sex. Consequently, a religious institution should avoid taking any adverse action against an employee who is pregnant — even if that employee is suspected to have violated a policy prohibiting extra-marital sex — unless the institution is prepared to show that the employee’s misconduct, and not her pregnancy, was the cause of that action.

Two recent cases from the Sixth Circuit illustrate the legal significance of this distinction. In Cline v. Catholic Diocese of Toledo, 206 F.3d 651 (6th Cir. 2000), an unmarried school teacher who had agreed to abstain from extra-marital sex was terminated after she became pregnant. See id. at 656. The teacher filed suit under Title VII, alleging that the school had engaged in unlawful pregnancy discrimination. Reversing the district court’s order granting summary judgment to the diocese, the Sixth Circuit concluded that the plaintiff had presented "sufficient evidence to call into question [the defendant’s] proffered reason for her [dismissal]," and was therefore "entitle[d] . . . to make her case before a trier of fact." Id. at 669. Specifically, the panel pointed to evidence suggesting (1) that the plaintiff’s "pregnancy alone had signaled [school officials to the fact] that she engaged in premarital sex," (2) "that the school does not . . . inquire as to whether male teachers engage in premarital sex," and (3) that the school "enforces its policy solely by observing the pregnancy of its female teachers." Id. at 667. According to the panel, this evidence created a genuine issue of material fact as to the legitimacy of the school’s explanation for its decision, and therefore precluded summary judgment. Id. at 668.

When confronted with a similar lawsuit, the defendant in Boyd v. Harding Academy of Memphis, Inc., 88 F.3d 410 (6th Cir. 1996), avoided liability by demonstrating that its efforts to enforce its extra-marital sex policy were gender-neutral, and focused exclusively on the underlying misconduct. Affirming the district court’s judgment in favor of the defendant, the Sixth Circuit found it significant that the defendant had "provided uncontroverted evidence at trial that [the defendant] had terminated at least four individuals, both male and female, who had engaged in extramarital sexual relationships that did not result in pregnancy." Id. at 412-413.

In light of these two cases, religious institutions should exercise caution in drafting, implementing, and enforcing policies prohibiting employees from engaging in extra-marital sex. The policies themselves should focus on the sexual misconduct, not on its consequences. Similarly, they should be enforced without regard to gender or pregnancy. See Cline, 199 F.3d at 860 (suggesting that "gender-neutral enforcement of [a] premarital sex policy" does not violate Title VII).

To prepare for possible litigation, religious institutions that have such policies should consider keeping records of their efforts to enforce them. Such records might include, for example, statistics on the number of (1) married employees who have remained employed during and after pregnancies, (2) male employees who have been terminated for violating the policy, and (3) non-pregnant female employees who have been terminated for violating the policy. By focusing on employee misconduct (rather than pregnancy), religious institutions will minimize their vulnerability to federal discrimination lawsuits.

Nevertheless, because state discrimination and employment laws vary, a policy that may be enforced freely in one state may be unlawful in another. Consequently, institutions should independently evaluate their extra-marital sex policies, as well as the procedures they use to enforce those policies, under state law.

Finally, when faced with a lawsuit under state or federal law, religious institutions should consider whether the plaintiff can be considered a minister for purposes of the "ministerial exemption." See e.g., EEOC v. Catholic University of America, 83 F.3d 455, 461 (D.C. Cir. 1996). Where it applies, the ministerial exemption gives religious entities a defense in civil rights lawsuits involving the selection of ministers. See Sidley Austin Brown & Wood Religious Institutions Law Alert, Recent Decisions Show That Scope of Ministerial Exemption Remains Uncertain (Feb. 23, 2000).

This Alert is published by the Religious Institutions Practice Group of Sidley Austin Brown & Wood. Jeff Berman, a member of that group, has extensive experience litigating cases similar to those described in this Alert. See Arriaga v. Loma Linda University, 10 Cal.App.4th 1556 (Cal.App.1993). For additional information about Sidley Austin Brown & Wood’s religious institutions practice, or about the subject of this Alert, please contact Jeffrey A. Berman or Amy Lally of the firm’s Los Angeles office, or Gene Schaerr or Mike Lee of the firm’s Washington, D.C. office.
[/quote]
November 23, 2005, 12:59 AM
Adron
[/quote]

For what we know, she may have been raped. Is being raped a sin? Would having an abortion be better?
November 23, 2005, 5:07 AM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=topic=13322.msg135100#msg135100 date=1132722438]
[/quote]

For what we know, she may have been raped. Is being raped a sin? Would having an abortion be better?
[/quote]

Yes, as far as I know, being raped is a sin :-P
November 23, 2005, 5:10 AM
CrAz3D
To my knowledge she wasn't.  I'm sure the story would've mentioned that.  I'm sure the church would support an abortion because of rape
November 23, 2005, 6:52 AM
Adron
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13322.msg135116#msg135116 date=1132728723]
To my knowledge she wasn't.  I'm sure the story would've mentioned that.  I'm sure the church would support an abortion because of rape
[/quote]

The article also does not mention her living together with a man without being married... She might have been raped without telling her employer, I could see someone not wanting to tell everyone in the world that she had been raped.

And, what if she did not want an abortion? What if she wanted to keep her baby? Would that be sinful?
November 23, 2005, 8:45 AM
iago
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13322.msg135116#msg135116 date=1132728723]
[/quote]

Would they?  Could you find a source on that?
November 23, 2005, 1:14 PM
CrAz3D
"Even when a child is conceived through rape or incest, the fault is not the child's, who should not suffer death for others' sins."

Wow, crazy Catholics.  As I've read most churches would support abortion due to rape, not them Catholics though, eeks.
November 23, 2005, 4:08 PM
St0rm.iD
I think this is illegal.
November 24, 2005, 12:47 AM
Invert
In my opinion I think it's wrong for the school to do that but...

I was listening to a report about this today and like all the teachers in that Catholics school this teacher signed an agreement with this school to uphold the Catholics believes by teaching them and by example (this was in her contract). The school fired her because she did not fulfill that part of the agreement as Catholics do not believe in pre marital sex. It was also reported that all of the teachers including the principle liked this teacher and said that she was a good teacher.

It was also reported that this baby is her ex-boyfriends. She was not raped.
November 24, 2005, 2:06 AM
Arta
I think it's wrong, but probably not illegal. AFAIK, religious schools get quite a bit of leeway with this kind of thing.
November 24, 2005, 2:13 PM
shout
It's perfectly fine on a legal level, but it is terrible on a moral level.
November 24, 2005, 2:45 PM
QwertyMonster
That IS wrong, and pretty much stupid!
November 24, 2005, 3:41 PM
Forged
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=13322.msg135204#msg135204 date=1132841586]
I think it's wrong, but probably not illegal. AFAIK, religious schools get quite a bit of leeway with this kind of thing.
[/quote]

They are going to lose the lawsuit.
November 24, 2005, 9:49 PM
hismajesty
I don't think this is wrong. She signed a contract. What's the big deal? If George Bush signed a contract saying he was going to give a billion dollars to welfare, and then he didn't do it, lord knows you'd be all over that. It's the same thing, except it deals with a religious aspect of the contract. But that shouldn't matter, seeing as how the contract was legally binding.
November 24, 2005, 10:21 PM
Adron
[quote author=Invert link=topic=13322.msg135191#msg135191 date=1132797979]
It was also reported that this baby is her ex-boyfriends. She was not raped.
[/quote]

Well, then it sounds like a religiously correct thing to do. Maybe a little late, if she is no longer even with that boyfriend, but... And what about Mary and Jesus? Do they know that she has had sex just because she is pregnant?

Morally, wrong, since they are effectively also punishing her unborn child.

And legally, probably wrong as well. Since they are firing her over the pregnancy, not over having a private detective snoop into her private life to detect her actually having sex before marriage. Discriminating against women, obviously.

November 24, 2005, 10:26 PM
Arta
[quote author=Forged link=topic=13322.msg135238#msg135238 date=1132868965]

They are going to lose the lawsuit.
[/quote]

Good.
November 25, 2005, 12:36 AM
iago
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=13322.msg135241#msg135241 date=1132870885]
I don't think this is wrong. She signed a contract. What's the big deal? If George Bush signed a contract saying he was going to give a billion dollars to welfare, and then he didn't do it, lord knows you'd be all over that. It's the same thing, except it deals with a religious aspect of the contract. But that shouldn't matter, seeing as how the contract was legally binding.
[/quote]

If George Bush signed a contract saying he'd make sure all non-Catholic behaviour was outlawed, they probably wouldn't hold him to it. 
November 25, 2005, 1:59 PM
Forged
Those are two way diffrent things though iago.  This woman teaches at a private religous instituion, George Bush is running a religouslly liberated country.  In theory I agree with the school, but other variables need to be taken into account.
November 25, 2005, 8:28 PM
iago
[quote author=Forged link=topic=13322.msg135309#msg135309 date=1132950490]
Those are two way diffrent things though iago.  This woman teaches at a private religous instituion, George Bush is running a religouslly liberated country.  In theory I agree with the school, but other variables need to be taken into account.
[/quote]

I was just just arguing against what Trust said. 

Of the situation, if it's a religious private school, then I agree with their expectations.  If it's not religious, then I don't.  I don't know if they're religious or not, I didn't read the story :)
November 25, 2005, 9:57 PM
hismajesty
It's religious.
November 25, 2005, 11:32 PM

Search