Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | C/C++ Programming | C++ Compilers

AuthorMessageTime
FrOzeN
I want to get some perspectives on what people define as the best compiler, for certain purposes.

For example what compilers do companies use to compile there games, or do they use makefiles etc..

Please elaborate on this and discuss what compilers are best for what, etc.. :)

Thanx
November 15, 2005, 5:47 AM
Mangix
i think most companies use the Microsoft C++ compiler mainly because it was invented by the company that made Windows which is what the games use(obviously).

and im not sure i understand your "what a compiler is best for" question. it's best for compiling c++ code on the platform that it was made to compile on
November 15, 2005, 11:38 PM
Kp
If you want the absolute best performance on an x86 chip, the Intel compiler is probably the way to go.  Just be prepared to spend a long time sitting, because it optimizes very thoroughly (and therefore the optimization passes can take a long time).  If you want really neat extensions and the ability to compile almost anywhere, go with g++.  If you want to use a Microsoft product, use Visual C++ (there's nothing nice I can say about it, sorry).  VC++'s internal implementation of make is terribly slow compared to GNU make on a Linux system.
November 16, 2005, 12:42 AM
Yegg
On a Windows environment, Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta is a great choice for IDE and compiler. GNU also seems to be quite promising as well.
November 16, 2005, 1:51 AM
Quarantine
GCC on cygwin or MinGW.
November 16, 2005, 2:19 AM
FrOzeN
ATM the next major C++ application I plan on making with be a bot (FrOzeNBoT, yes that thing I've ranted on now and then before).

As it will be using alot of GUI api's for skinning I need something that can optimize this well.
I currently have Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Enterprise Edition.
November 16, 2005, 3:44 AM
Quarantine
I'm pretty sure the already offered optimizations are all you'll need. Just code pretty like and I don't think you will suffer a performance decrease.
November 16, 2005, 3:48 AM
Mangix
[quote author=FrOzeN link=topic=13242.msg134194#msg134194 date=1132112665]
ATM the next major C++ application I plan on making with be a bot (FrOzeNBoT, yes that thing I've ranted on now and then before).

As it will be using alot of GUI api's for skinning I need something that can optimize this well.
I currently have Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Enterprise Edition.
[/quote]why are you using win32 APIs when you have MFC at your disposal?
November 16, 2005, 4:20 AM
Dyndrilliac
Is that a joke?
November 16, 2005, 4:25 AM
FrOzeN
Because I want the bot to work on all platforms and MFC doesn't like that.

Also I dislike MFC, it's just another thing like the .NET Framework. It's there to make things simpler, but in doing so it makes computers need that Framework (or required files for it) and can be achieved in alternative measures which result in better outcomes.
November 16, 2005, 4:25 AM
Mangix
then you're gonna want GTK+, wxWidgets, or some other cross-platform libraries. not the win32 API ;)

edit:you dont need the .NET Framework for MFC cept in newer versions of it(namely 8.0)
November 16, 2005, 4:26 AM
FrOzeN
Thanx for that info. However, please let's get back ontopic.

As this program will preferably will turn out to be about between 1-2Mb's compiled, I think picking a compiler is one of the major factors in this.

[quote]edit:you dont need the .NET Framework for MFC cept in newer versions of it(namely 8.0)[/quote]
I know, I was just using the .NET Framework as an example of 'how it trys to make things easier' when I'd much prefer using a program which relys of resources and .dll's a computer already has, rather than a user having to obtain them thereself, or get the installer to. Eg, a .NET Framework based program would require the user to download the 20Mb Framework.
November 16, 2005, 4:31 AM
rabbit
I like gcc/c++ on MinGW.
November 16, 2005, 4:38 AM
FrOzeN
Any thoughts on Dev-C++ or should it only be used as an IDE while writing your program.

Seeing I'll be learning extensive amounts of C++, I don't mind the difficulty required to setup the compiler or run MakeFiles, just w/e produces the finest .exe's. :)

Also rabbit, I remember back in the 'Crack Fofo Bot' topic on StealthBot.net ages ago. You mentioned something about compacting programs etc.. could you elaborate on this and it's purpose.. thanx
November 16, 2005, 4:54 AM
Quarantine
Dev-C++ used MinGW and he used UPX to compress his bot.
November 16, 2005, 5:01 AM
St0rm.iD
Get a good texteditor you like (emacs, scite, etc) and a command prompt.

But in reality, I think you best option would be VC8 Express.
November 16, 2005, 8:27 PM
Quarantine
Emacs, good? Naaahh. :) Actually it's a little too complex for my liking nothing against it personally.
November 16, 2005, 10:50 PM
K
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=13242.msg134298#msg134298 date=1132181415]
Emacs, good? Naaahh. :) Actually it's a little too complex for my liking nothing against it personally.
[/quote]

Lately I find myself frustrated when I try to use visual studio right after coming home from work (where I use emacs) because none of the cool keyboard shortcuts will work (or I do them without thinking and they do something completely different.)
November 16, 2005, 10:57 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=K link=topic=13242.msg134299#msg134299 date=1132181870]
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=13242.msg134298#msg134298 date=1132181415]
[/quote]

Lately I find myself frustrated when I try to use visual studio right after coming home from work (where I use emacs) because none of the cool keyboard shortcuts will work (or I do them without thinking and they do something completely different.)
[/quote]

I've had the same problem :P Visual Studio 2005 has emacs key bindings though.
November 17, 2005, 3:06 AM

Search