Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Elections

AuthorMessageTime
kamakazie
What does everyone think? In California, it looks like every measure on the ballot is going to be defeated. The election is now a costly, unnecessary paper weight. I see in Virginia Kaine won, even with Bush back his opponent. Red turning blue?
November 9, 2005, 6:38 AM
hismajesty
In response to Virginia:

It's not very worrysome, we always go red and that's why, for example, Bush didn't even come here during his campaign (or maybe he did like...once, I don't know.) The margin of victory was pretty slim, and true, I would have much prefered Kilgore win, but at least Kaine is pretty moderate. I think he looks weird though, like an evil dwarf or something. Anyway, our last govenor, Warner, was a Democrat too, but we still went red for Bush - both times, no problem.

Our Lt. Govenor went Republican too, Bill Bolling. And, with 99% of precincts reporting so did our Attorney General, though they're still waiting for a few more votes to come in.

Unfortunately, my districts delegate went to the Democrats. After Ed Schrock resigned, our delegate Thelma Drake took his congressional position and we had a special election to fill it. The Democrat candidate took it, and then this year she took it again in the real election. :(

Oh, and gogo Texas @ gay marriage ban! :)
November 9, 2005, 9:30 AM
Forged
"Oh, and gogo Texas @ gay marriage ban!"

I don't think I know anyone that voted on that.  The general consensus between my friends, family, and I was that there are far too many ignorant rednecks to even bother voting against a ban on gay marriage.
November 9, 2005, 4:06 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=13186.msg133285#msg133285 date=1131528610]
In response to Virginia:

It's not very worrysome, we always go red and that's why, for example, Bush didn't even come here during his campaign (or maybe he did like...once, I don't know.) The margin of victory was pretty slim, and true, I would have much prefered Kilgore win, but at least Kaine is pretty moderate. I think he looks weird though, like an evil dwarf or something. Anyway, our last govenor, Warner, was a Democrat too, but we still went red for Bush - both times, no problem.

Our Lt. Govenor went Republican too, Bill Bolling. And, with 99% of precincts reporting so did our Attorney General, though they're still waiting for a few more votes to come in.

Unfortunately, my districts delegate went to the Democrats. After Ed Schrock resigned, our delegate Thelma Drake took his congressional position and we had a special election to fill it. The Democrat candidate took it, and then this year she took it again in the real election. :(

Oh, and gogo Texas @ gay marriage ban! :)
[/quote]

The big news is that Bush went to support Kilgore last minute. Some are even saying that hurt Kilgore's campaign!
November 9, 2005, 4:27 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Forged link=topic=13186.msg133299#msg133299 date=1131552393]

I don't think I know anyone that voted on that.  The general consensus between my friends, family, and I was that there are far too many ignorant rednecks to even bother voting against a ban on gay marriage.
[/quote]Something like 76% of the votes passed the gay marriage ban.  I don't think Texas is 76% conservative
November 9, 2005, 6:00 PM
Stealth
[quote author=dxoigmn link=topic=13186.msg133300#msg133300 date=1131553658]
The big news is that Bush went to support Kilgore last minute. Some are even saying that hurt Kilgore's campaign!
[/quote]

This is really not big news at all -- it's being bandied about with glee by people like you who don't like George Bush. See James Taranto's comments on it: Virginia had a Democratic governor previously. My home state of Wisconsin has a Democratic governor and yet the legislature is Republican-controlled. California is a very liberal state -- you need only to look at their elected senators to know that a pair of Republican initiatives would be defeated there.
November 9, 2005, 6:28 PM
St0rm.iD

[/quote]

Good use of that democracy you guys are all so fond of supporting.
November 10, 2005, 1:13 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Banana fanna fo fanna link=topic=13186.msg133356#msg133356 date=1131585209]

[/quote]

[/quote]*chuckle chuckle*
Yay for liberal hypocricy (more so than what exists on the right, WAY more)
November 10, 2005, 1:54 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=Stealth link=topic=13186.msg133315#msg133315 date=1131560938]
[/quote]

This is really not big news at all -- it's being bandied about with glee by people like you who don't like George Bush. See James Taranto's comments on it: Virginia had a Democratic governor previously. My home state of Wisconsin has a Democratic governor and yet the legislature is Republican-controlled. California is a very liberal state -- you need only to look at their elected senators to know that a pair of Republican initiatives would be defeated there.
[/quote]

If everyone is talking about and almost every newspaper is writing about it, it is big news. Just because someone writes an opinion article saying it is not really big news doesn't suddenly change what everyone else feels. The initiative in California were not really Republican per-se; they were just plain stupid and poorly drafted.
November 10, 2005, 3:51 AM
Stealth
[quote author=dxoigmn link=topic=13186.msg133379#msg133379 date=1131594703]
[quote author=Stealth link=topic=13186.msg133315#msg133315 date=1131560938]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If everyone is talking about and almost every newspaper is writing about it, it is big news. Just because someone writes an opinion article saying it is not really big news doesn't suddenly change what everyone else feels. The initiative in California were not really Republican per-se; they were just plain stupid and poorly drafted.
[/quote]

There's an important distinction here -- it's big news to those who decide what's big news. Many of them think like you do. That's evidenced by the fact that today, just over 2 days after the stories broke originally, they're totally absent from any major news source: The websites for CNN, Fox News, MSNBC make absolutely no mention of governor races, California referendums and the like. It was clearly not as important as it was made to seem.
November 11, 2005, 6:45 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=Stealth link=topic=13186.msg133562#msg133562 date=1131734737]
There's an important distinction here -- it's big news to those who decide what's big news. Many of them think like you do. That's evidenced by the fact that today, just over 2 days after the stories broke originally, they're totally absent from any major news source: The websites for CNN, Fox News, MSNBC make absolutely no mention of governor races, California referendums and the like. It was clearly not as important as it was made to seem.
[/quote]

Oh please. If a lot of people are talking about (even those who don't "think like me" whatever that means) then it is big news. Just because something else happened and it no longer on the front page does not mean it was big news when I posted this topic. I don't even know why I am arguing this because it is such a stupid thing to argue over. It was news, it was happening, people were talking about it; it was big news. Whether or not it was a big deal is an entirely different argument.
November 11, 2005, 7:08 PM
Forged
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=13186.msg133360#msg133360 date=1131587660]
[quote author=Banana fanna fo fanna link=topic=13186.msg133356#msg133356 date=1131585209]

[/quote]

[/quote]*chuckle chuckle*
Yay for liberal hypocricy (more so than what exists on the right, WAY more)
[/quote]
I'm really not that liberal, I just don't see the point in something like this.  If marriage where a completlly religous ceremony and had nothing to do with goverment benifits I do not think the goverment should require a church to marry a homosexual.  However, this is not the case, and on top of that there are churches that would choose to marry a gay couple.  There for, I fell it to be a violation of the first amendment; "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"
Clearlly the goverment is not allowing the free excercise of religon...
November 11, 2005, 11:57 PM
St0rm.iD
Unfortunately, I agree with you, Forged.
November 12, 2005, 1:24 AM
CrAz3D
The gov should support unions, not marriage.  Marriage is religious & therefore the government would be recognizing religion.
November 12, 2005, 1:33 AM

Search