Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Sharing a printer

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
Ok, I have this thing installed correctly, I think (it works & all).  When I click Share Printer it says it is sharing, but I cant find it on my laptop. 

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?
November 1, 2005, 3:11 PM
crashtestdummy
[url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx[/url]
You need to search for the printer in the control panel.
November 1, 2005, 3:50 PM
CrAz3D
I've been searchin, it isnt showing up.  A friend said something about making sure everything is in th esame workgroup (I dont see ANY work groups popping up when searching for my printer either).

I'll mess some more when I get home, with regards to the workgroup thing
November 1, 2005, 10:09 PM
crashtestdummy
Is there a possibility that a firewall could be blocking it?
November 1, 2005, 11:17 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=muert0 link=topic=13122.msg132528#msg132528 date=1130887068]
Is there a possibility that a firewall could be blocking it?
[/quote]I highly doubt that.  Windows firewall is on the desktop & Norton Internet Security is on the laptop
November 2, 2005, 2:09 AM
Null
(1) Desktop | Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer > Local Printer

(2) Laptop | Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer > Network Printer

Doesnt work after that either kill your self or disable the firewall and try like somebody else suggested.

EDIT: The above  assumes that u have successfully set up your own LAN and the 2 machines can communicate via tcp/ip with each other.
November 2, 2005, 3:11 AM
CrAz3D
how would I check to ensure that TCP/IP settings are enabled & set correctly?  is there an easy way to test this?
November 2, 2005, 6:21 AM
MrRaza
Well, open a command prompt, use the net view command. you should be able to see other computers that are in your workgroup. To change your workgroup right click My Computer -> Properties -> Computer name Tab -> Click Change... then name the workgroup you wish to be in. There might be more to this, tomorrow i'll go into greater detail since it is past 1:30am.

need help?

NET /?
NET VIEW /?
November 2, 2005, 6:36 AM
Charlie
Just to push on to what MrRaza said.
Right click My computer, Properties, Computer Name, then thers a change button in the middle of the page. Click Change Should pop up with your computer name and the Workgroup, Make sure to read this part though.
[quote]
You can change and the membership of this computer."Changes may affect access to network resources.
[/quote]

Then you hit ok.
After you change it a window should pop that says "Welcome to the "workgroup" workgroup.

--Charlie.
November 2, 2005, 7:19 AM
CrAz3D
[quote]1: enable TCPIP, Netbios, and IPXSPX in the network properties setup thingy. (right click my network places-got to properties, right click local area connection "whatever"- properties, install-protocall, select what you want) Make sure this is done on all relevant machines on the network that you want to communicate.

2. make sure your printer/folder is shared on whatever machine you are trying to reach. It might not show up if there is nothing shared. One thing F'd up since win2k. right click device/folder-share.

3. make sure all computers have the same workgroup name. right click My Computer-properties, network identification, Properties. Change the workgroup to be the same everywhere and make sure the machines are named differently.

4. make sure you have the drivers available and installed on the machine you are trying to remotely connect to the printer. This may or may not require the printer to be hooked up to the machine first before you remotely connect through another machine (if that makes sense). Sometimes on a rare occasion windows will already have the drivers you need. The printer should show up on the network even without drivers installed on the remote machine.

5. once you can see the printer right click on it and hit "connect". That "should" do it.

Hope that helps. It "should" work with all that done.[/quote]

I think that may help me, assuming I can get my print reinstalled :(
November 2, 2005, 7:39 AM
crashtestdummy
You might want to update the drivers from the manufacturers website aswell.
November 2, 2005, 12:21 PM
CrAz3D
Hmm, I'm encountering a problem with a "required section of usbprint.inf" missing :(

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00270078#solution_3

Let's see if this works
November 2, 2005, 2:09 PM
CrAz3D
Ok, still receiving an error saying that there is a required section missing from usbprint.inf, any ideas?
November 2, 2005, 6:50 PM
Charlie
Try searching it into google and downloading it before hand. ;\ Thats what I did for one of my games, it said it was missing required "..." so I searched it on google.

If that dosn't work maybe call the manufactor of your printer, sometimes they have a tip line or somthing or a faq, alot more people have probably had the same problem as you.
November 2, 2005, 9:12 PM
CrAz3D
The link I posted is how to fix the problem, only it doenst fix the problem.  I may just reformat our desktop...too bad I don't have an XP disc so I could TOTALLY clean the ENTIRE computer of every umbass program it came with.

Oh well
November 2, 2005, 10:08 PM
CrAz3D
Freakin Windows & its corrupt files!  I gave up, I installed the printer on my laptop & am just gonna have to plug it in everytime I guess.  Downside is that there is no longer a printer on our desktop...servers my stupid sister right, i dont know why, but it does
November 3, 2005, 1:57 AM
Charlie
Lmao, did you try calling the manufactor of the Printer? They could probably tell you whats wrong with it. Tech support is sexeh. Lol  ::)
November 11, 2005, 3:01 AM
CrAz3D
Its installed on the desktop now, I just cant get my laptop onto the wireless network i setup on the desktop, I guess.  Ran the network wizard & the wireless network wizard (only step I skipped here was plugging the USBflash drive into the internet device as I dont have a usb port on the router)
November 11, 2005, 5:55 AM
Charlie
Did you ever get it fixed crazed? To where it works on both, I got a new friend that knows alot about that kinda stuff and I'll ask him
November 28, 2005, 3:47 AM
CrAz3D
I installed it on both, however, I cannot find it over the wireless network
November 28, 2005, 3:59 AM

Search