Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Guys, I seriously don't know what to do.

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
[me=MyndFyre]sighs.[/me]

I'm tempted, really tempted, to go to law school.

On the other hand, I know I have skills working with computers, and am tempted to go get an MS or MCS (master's in computer science).  Plus, I could go to a California college and land a job at a Silicon Valley company or something.

I just am really passionate about programming and computer work.  It's evidenced by my mounds of gadgets.

Same time, I really have fun doing law stuff and political analyses.

Thoughts?  I need to decide *really* soon.
October 12, 2005, 5:27 AM
Explicit[nK]
If you really enjoy doing both, then you can't go wrong with either decision. If I were you, I'd shoot for law school because it'd be the thing I'd learn the most from. For computers, you could always pursue it if you decide that law school isn't really for you.
October 12, 2005, 5:43 AM
Grok
Law School.  Primary reason:  cannot be outsourced.  The major trend in computer science is outsource everything to India, China, and Russia.  This includes project management all the way down to coding.  Law does not have that problem, as far as I know.
October 12, 2005, 3:37 PM
Invert
[quote author=Grok link=topic=13018.msg130800#msg130800 date=1129131442]
Law School.  Primary reason:  cannot be outsourced.  The major trend in computer science is outsource everything to India, China, and Russia.  This includes project management all the way down to coding.  Law does not have that problem, as far as I know.
[/quote]

I would have to agree with Grok. And you can make more money. :)
October 12, 2005, 6:15 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Invert link=topic=13018.msg130804#msg130804 date=1129140917]
[quote author=Grok link=topic=13018.msg130800#msg130800 date=1129131442]
[/quote]

I would have to agree with Grok. And you can make more money. :)
[/quote]Depends on yoour work ethic.  Gates isn't a lawyer ;), he just was in the right place @ the right time & did the right things.

Law is fun for me & I was thinkin about the outsource thing, good stable job so long as you dont get hit w/a malpractice suit
October 12, 2005, 6:25 PM
Arta
Both. Can't you major in one and minor in the other? Or do one for your degree, and study another postgrad?

A legally trained computer person is a rare and useful creature.
October 12, 2005, 9:20 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=13018.msg130813#msg130813 date=1129152011]
Both. Can't you major in one and minor in the other? Or do one for your degree, and study another postgrad?

A legally trained computer person is a rare and useful creature.
[/quote]If he isn't a very ambitious lawyer he could do both, or he could not sleep & do both.  I'm quite sure lawyers' jobs aren't 9-5 5 days a week.

I've seen my boss @ the office as late as 9pm on a friday night.  He comes in for a few hours on holidays too (4th of July, Columbus day, etc. [not Christmas])  I've seen his car here (I'm at work) quite a bit.
October 12, 2005, 9:25 PM
Topaz
Yeah, minor in computer science. You can always learn on your own with computers, but law school isn't easily replacable like that.
October 12, 2005, 10:32 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=daRktYpE link=topic=13018.msg130823#msg130823 date=1129156348]
Yeah, minor in computer science. You can always learn on your own with computers, but law school isn't easily replacable like that.
[/quote]
ASU doesn't have a minor in computer science, and I've not seen a postgrad program that offered a "minor" in it either.

Rarely do departments mingle in graduate study, and only do they do so in specialized situations, e.g., American's Washington College of Law and the School of International Studies collaborate to present the JD/MA combination.  But since they're wildly different topics... it'd be hard to pull off.
October 12, 2005, 10:51 PM
hismajesty
From what I've heard, these days, minors are pretty useless - that's why there's an upward trend of double majors.
October 12, 2005, 11:12 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=13018.msg130832#msg130832 date=1129158761]
From what I've heard, these days, minors are pretty useless - that's why there's an upward trend of double majors.
[/quote]
Hehe, that means I'm trendy!

(Obviously they taught me how to make lame jokes in college.  ;))
October 13, 2005, 12:32 AM
jigsaw
My advice is quit school, work at McDonalds, great benefits, and you get medical/dental after 90 days on the job, and you get like a 25% off all the time even with coupons! It's totally a win win situation - duh.
October 13, 2005, 12:56 AM
KkBlazekK
Law school, for the reasons Grok stated.

[quote author=jigsaw link=topic=13018.msg130846#msg130846 date=1129164987]
My advice is quit school, work at McDonalds, great benefits, and you get medical/dental after 90 days on the job, and you get like a 25% off all the time even with coupons! It's totally a win win situation - duh.
[/quote]
Thats what all the rich people do, and those idiots that were in my school!
October 13, 2005, 2:59 AM
peofeoknight
The problem with comp sci and software engineering is no matter how passionate you are, if you loose creative control your dreams will be stepped on and you will start to hate what you do. Sure it was tons of fun when you decided what to code, how to code it, what it will look like, but now you are working for some big corporation designing the next version of word or something like that. If you get stuck in an area like that you will get bored really fast. You might say I will never go down that road, I will be on the design team, or I will be in management, or something, but the job market might not allow that. This is why I am not going down the software road so much. Because I do not want to be the next office developer.
October 13, 2005, 5:34 AM
Networks
Myndy, I'd go with what you're most passionate about and what you feel you can do the best in. However it does take careful consideration to know where you career is going, I'd suggest talking with someone in the field and how hard it is to get a job (or easy). Talk to people that are lawyers and computer science majors and ask for there input on the field. It's not ALWAYS about the money.

If both pique your interests equally then go with the one that has the best advantage to you.
October 13, 2005, 5:37 AM
Networks
[quote author=UserLoser link=topic=13018.msg130919#msg130919 date=1129243729]
Suicide saves you all the trouble.  Won't have to worry about what's next
[/quote]

So..why aren't you dead yet?
October 13, 2005, 10:55 PM
UserLoser.
[quote author=Networks link=topic=13018.msg130920#msg130920 date=1129244150]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Shut it, pale white boy
October 13, 2005, 11:33 PM
dRAgoN
[quote author=Networks link=topic=13018.msg130877#msg130877 date=1129181860]
Myndy, I'd go with what you're most passionate about and what you feel you can do the best in. However it does take careful consideration to know where you career is going, I'd suggest talking with someone in the field and how hard it is to get a job (or easy). Talk to people that are lawyers and computer science majors and ask for there input on the field. It's not ALWAYS about the money.

If both pique your interests equally then go with the one that has the best advantage to you.
[/quote]

Computer feild is a pain in the ass to find work because there are somany people in that line of work allready, to get into the areas you most likly want, you either have to know somone within the company your aiming for, or start your own buisness it's costly but I would make a guess and say you could have a 50/50 chance of success pending on what you would be doing. (yes I have heard this story to many times too and it almost makes me sick just typeing it)

Law, and or Accounting would probably be the better choices of these times.

My choices if i were to actually go back to school: if not CS/gfx then to go for a major in Accounting.
October 13, 2005, 11:43 PM
JoeTheOdd
I'm in the same situation as MyndFyre, except the having to do anything at all. =p

I can't dream of doing anything except programming for a living (working at mcdonalds during high school is not a living =p), but I'd still like to study law. I probably wouldn't do that right out of high school, though.

MyndFyre, I'd go for programming, personally.
October 13, 2005, 11:45 PM
rabbit
Co-major and get a dregree in digital law, or whatever they are calling it these days.  Not exactly programming, but still dealing with computers.
October 14, 2005, 12:55 AM
Forged
[quote]Law, and or Accounting[/quote]
I know quite a few accountants, and none of them like their job.
October 14, 2005, 4:26 AM
hismajesty
Accounting looks boring.

I want to be an attorney or something in business (CEO!) or maybe even in the stock market (doubt it though, ew @ math.) So, anyway, of course I'm going to say go law!
October 14, 2005, 10:06 AM
Networks
[quote author=UserLoser link=topic=13018.msg130926#msg130926 date=1129246392]
[quote author=Networks link=topic=13018.msg130920#msg130920 date=1129244150]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Shut it, pale white boy
[/quote]

I am actually indian so..that doesn't apply to me =\

My mom is a financial analyst which is basically accounting and it's...boring. Pharmacy! lmao
October 15, 2005, 1:47 AM
CrAz3D
Too much pressure & instability as a CEO.  It could be good fore a while.
October 17, 2005, 6:04 PM
Lenny
Why not patent law?  Most of you don't know it yet, but you don't necessarily like programming itself, but more the engineering/creative aspect of it.

But I'm not sure how many of you want to actually want to spend 8hrs in front of a computer coding something that you have no creative input in...

If you don't know what do to yet, I would suggest you go with engineering.  From that point on, you can basically go anywhere.  It's a very general field.  But make sure you go to grad school...
October 17, 2005, 6:15 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=13018.msg131345#msg131345 date=1129572909]
Why not patent law?  Most of you don't know it yet, but you don't necessarily like programming itself, but more the engineering/creative aspect of it.

But I'm not sure how many of you want to actually want to spend 8hrs in front of a computer coding something that you have no creative input in...

If you don't know what do to yet, I would suggest you go with engineering.  From that point on, you can basically go anywhere.  It's a very general field.  But make sure you go to grad school...
[/quote]
Someone did mention patent law to me recently.  I hear that in Phoenix, 2 guys who just finished law school went into work and were both millionaires by their late 20s.  Doesn't sound that interesting, though.
October 17, 2005, 11:16 PM
Elneroth
Whoa, I, myself, have also been pondering the decision between those two fields for some time now.

Gotta catch em all! Gotta catch em all! (jk)
October 17, 2005, 11:30 PM

Search