Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Playing Sounds out of the HD [VB] or [C++]

AuthorMessageTime
laurion
How do you play sounds (different beeps) out of the HD in vb or c++? I
've seen many programs do it, and I think it's very neat and would be nice to have it on my program. Thanks!
May 10, 2003, 11:06 AM
Yoni
Ehh?? Hard drives are supposed to keep silent... If they make strange noises, that's a very bad sign ;)

If you meant the PC speaker instead of HD, you can do it in WinNT using the Beep function (kernel32.dll). But note that many users find these beeps annoying - use them only where appropriate.
May 10, 2003, 1:24 PM
Arta
I think he means playing wav files.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/multimed/mmfunc_9uxw.asp

Example:

[code]
PlaySound("c:\mysound.wav", NULL, SND_ASYNC);
[/code]

Query: Do you also need to specify SND_FILENAME? I never have in the past but MSDN implies that you do.
May 10, 2003, 6:03 PM
Yoni
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=board=5;threadid=1291;start=0#msg9631 date=1052589784]
Query: Do you also need to specify SND_FILENAME? I never have in the past but MSDN implies that you do.
[/quote]
Yes... But it might work without it.
May 10, 2003, 6:13 PM
laurion
Yes, I meant different 'beeps'. All (most) old dos games use this, they use beeps as the sound. How can I get a different toned beep than just 'beep'?
May 11, 2003, 12:11 PM
K
Like Yoni, said, use the Beep API.

[code]BOOL Beep(
DWORD dwFreq,
DWORD dwDuration
);[/code]
Bearing in mind that it wont work well or at all on any non-NT based platforms.
[code]dwFreq :Frequency of the sound, in hertz. (0x25 through 0x7FFF).
Windows Me/98/95: The Beep function ignores this parameter.

dwDuration: Duration of the sound, in milliseconds.
Windows Me/98/95: The Beep function ignores this parameter.[/code]
May 11, 2003, 2:13 PM
Yoni
[quote author=K link=board=5;threadid=1291;start=0#msg9687 date=1052662406]
Bearing in mind that it wont work well or at all on any non-NT based platforms.
[/quote]At all. It will just play the default Windows sound.
May 11, 2003, 7:50 PM
MesiaH
[code]

Declare Function Beep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwFreq As Long, ByVal dwDuration As Long) As Long

How to use this:

Dim X%
X% = Beep(1500, 300)

[/code]

This will make the analogue speaker in your computer (used for bios errors and startup confirmations) beep at the specified frequency, for a specified amount of time.
May 13, 2003, 1:53 AM

Search