Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | BRAND NEW

AuthorMessageTime
Archilus
Act like I just got a computer, I want to learn Visual Basics and Everything I need to knwo to build a bot from THE GROUND UP. NO SHORTCUTS.

Like what program should I serch for on kazaa, and what should I read to get me started.

Remember I know NOTHING... "what's a 'Return' key?"

-==System==-

256 MB ram
8Gigs free on my HD
a few bots on my system that I wanna tear apart, and learn how to put back together. (What bot should I disect?)

I leave for marine Bootcamp june 1st, so PLZ HURRY.
May 9, 2003, 11:09 PM
Camel
you're not going to be able to make an entire bot in a month. even if you were a total guru, that would be a rediculous deadline. true programming skill comes with experience mesaured in years, not hours.
May 9, 2003, 11:39 PM
Arta
[quote author=Camel link=board=17;threadid=1284;start=0#msg9583 date=1052523549]
you're not going to be able to make an entire bot in a month. even if you were a total guru, that would be a rediculous deadline.[/quote]

Nonsense. For a guru, it's a perfectly worable deadline. Someone with sufficient background knowledge who was supplied with the necessary documentation could easily write a working (if simple) bot in a fraction of that time.
May 10, 2003, 3:23 AM
iago
But he specifically said that he doesn't know anything about anything.
May 10, 2003, 3:26 AM
Arta
Which makes it a moot point, but a point nonetheless :)
May 10, 2003, 3:56 AM
Archilus
So what's the hold up? Gimme proper documentation and point me in the right direction.
May 10, 2003, 10:33 AM
Yoni
If you want to learn VB/programming in general just for Battle.net, I suggest to not even bother.
May 10, 2003, 10:39 AM
Archilus
No, I'm doing this for a career, Not all marines play with guns, I want to be able to do something before i go in so it wont be that hard, and plus, I want to talk on bnet without having to have sc on a laptop.

Yah anyway, I'm gonna be in the marines for 20 year suntil i retire at 38 if all goes well, So a litttle help plz?
May 10, 2003, 12:39 PM
Archilus
I just installed Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0

What next?

And where Can I go to get a clena slate bot and/or an A.L.I.C.E. Brain?
May 10, 2003, 1:12 PM
drivehappy
www.valhallalegends.com/cuphead is where you can find the CleanSlateBot.ocx. Read his directions as well.
May 10, 2003, 2:34 PM
Arta
If you're not going to join the computer industry for 20 years, learning things now is pointless. It will probably all be wrong/obselete by then.

Battle.net documentation is available at here.
C++ help is easily found on Google.

But I think you're setting yourself an unworkable goal. Programming is a skill that takes time and patience to learn. Learning VB just to write a bot is, as Yoni mentioned, silly. If you want to be any good at it, you should start from the ground up - don't try to run before you can walk. You should take on some simpler projects and then attempt a bot properly (without CSB) in a few months.

Just my $0.02.
May 10, 2003, 6:10 PM
Archilus
Arta, In the marines People do visual basics... Duh

HEY THANKS FO RTHTA LINK!
May 10, 2003, 9:03 PM
Yoni
[quote author=Archilus link=board=17;threadid=1284;start=0#msg9647 date=1052600614]
Arta, In the marines People do visual basics... Duh
[/quote]
No... I don't quite think they do.
May 10, 2003, 9:20 PM
Crypticflare
I found it funny because the fact that my father was in the core, my uncle was in the core, I have two best friends enlisted that leave within the month for it, my two best friends are both into computer sciences and I hate to see it I've never seen a Visual Basic application written yet.. Now I know there very well could be some, but somthing like VB in the army just doesn't sound like it would work out well

[Edit: Wrote Army when I meant Military]
May 10, 2003, 9:29 PM
Yoni
That's not what I meant. I don't have a clue about what the US army uses. For all I know, they might use VB.
May 10, 2003, 11:25 PM
Eibro
[quote] I need to knwo to build a bot from THE GROUND UP. NO SHORTCUTS.[/quote]
[quote]And where Can I go to get a clena slate bot and/or an A.L.I.C.E. Brain?[/quote]
Am I missing something here? If you want to build a bot from the ground up, you don't use csb.
May 11, 2003, 1:17 AM
K
But apparently my AliceBot concept is popular!
May 11, 2003, 2:24 AM
St0rm.iD
I wrote SphtAIBot first remember ;)
May 11, 2003, 3:04 AM
Barumonk
Air Force/Navy have computer programmer as a possible MOS, the Army *may* have it and I know the Marines don't. If a recruiter told you otherwise he is lying. Also for reference they use C/C++, Cobal and Fortran.
May 11, 2003, 7:17 AM

Search