Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | This kid took his A64 IHS off WoW!!!

AuthorMessageTime
NocBrute
he overclocked it to 2.88ghz, and his temperature decreased. :) amazing, never seen anyong do this before.

[quote]my suspicions about the IHS making poor thermal contact both with the die and the heatsink were totally founded tonight when i took OFF the ihs on my new champion A64 3500+ (currently at 2.88 GHz)

the only thing holding it back from further overclocking and even full load processing at it's current oc is the INSANE heat build up at load (>65°C)

i have OCCT set to cancel at anything above 65°C so i never got a graph... shame... but anyway i used to run like 44°C idle / >65°C load

now... guess what? it's like 35°C idle / 43°C load... which tallies with the 7 or 8°C delta i'm used to with my slk-948u (i'm SO so glad i bought this heatsink)... i originally bought it to bolt down onto an A64 752 3200+ DTR mobile... it was out of stock but i'd already bought the heatsink...

so... in summary... my new AWESOME cpu now runs at a blisteringly fast 2.88GHz FULL LOAD at a mere 43°C !!!!! biggrin.gif

before (with crappy IHS / IHS thermal compound)

idle: 44°C
load: >65°C

after (naked cpu die with AS5)

idle: 35°C
load: 43°C

MAN! i'm so happy i didn't f' it up... i almost died and shat myself like 27 times, my hands were shaking all over the place...

i'm ecstatic! smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

now i can burn away (well, simmer away now hehe) at 2.88 and then soon push for 3 gigs on air! whoop whoop! biggrin.gif[/quote]
September 9, 2005, 7:41 PM
Lenny
This falls under the category of common sense. 

Of course removing the barrier between the CPU core and heatsink is going to improve cooling.  And of course it voids the warranty as well as exposes the CPU to the likely possibility of damage.

It's also likely that there are several other factors that lowered the temperature reading.  Until he shows a better overclock, his results are meaningless.
September 9, 2005, 7:55 PM
NocBrute
why would you lock it?
he now overclocked it to 3009mhz.  this is my logic, its lik ebeing naked you become cooler. just like a case i fyou leave it open its more cool at some points unless the room temperature is really high.
September 9, 2005, 8:37 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=NocBrute link=topic=12756.msg127567#msg127567 date=1126298269]
why would you lock it?
he now overclocked it to 3009mhz.  this is my logic, its lik ebeing naked you become cooler. just like a case i fyou leave it open its more cool at some points unless the room temperature is really high.
[/quote]

I think the point of the heatsink, though is different --

Primarily, it increases the surface area heated by the same amount of energy.  For example, the average adult human male has 25 square feet of skin.  Suppose the body wants to maintain the surface area at a constant temperature.  The body is a remarkable machine, granted -- much more sophisticated than a heat sink.  But let's say that at constant conditions, the body produces x calories energy to maintain constant surface temperature on your skin, assuming normal convection processes remove heat from your body (heat energy is generally released by increasing the total energy of particles directly in contact with your body).

Now, raise the total amount of surface area of your skin, to say, 30 square feet.

Your body will either have to produce a proportionately higher amount of energy to maintain the constant temperature of the skin, or else the skin surface will reduce to a proportionately lower temperature relative to the conditions currently surrounding your body.

Similarly, a heat sink is designed to increase the total surface area the processor contacts to cool.  Since the heat sink is metal and (supposed to be) an excellent conductor of heat, it makes sense that a heat sink with higher surface area would be able to pull the heat off the chip more easily to attain equilibrium with the ambient air inside your case.  Your processor will generate (relatively) a constant amount of heat given chip speed and electricity used.  It can use the roughly 1.25 square inches on the chip to cool, or the significantly larger heat sink surface area.

Being naked is different -- clothes are infrequently a good conductor of heat energy.  Rather, the heat is trapped inside the cloth shell.
September 10, 2005, 8:34 AM
Adron
Yes, but adding multiple layers of not-so-well conducting thermal compound between the cpu die and the surface area of the heatsink will obviously increase the temperature of the die. It is like putting on more layers of clothes.... ;)
September 10, 2005, 12:49 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Adron link=topic=12756.msg127636#msg127636 date=1126356590]
Yes, but adding multiple layers of not-so-well conducting thermal compound between the cpu die and the surface area of the heatsink will obviously increase the temperature of the die. It is like putting on more layers of clothes.... ;)
[/quote]
I was just trying to point out how it's supposed to work *in theory*.  :P
September 10, 2005, 7:15 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=NocBrute link=topic=12756.msg127567#msg127567 date=1126298269]
why would you lock it?
[/quote] If you open a case it will not be cooler if you are air cooling because opening the thing up will kill your air flow....
September 11, 2005, 5:39 PM

Search