Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Substituting UDP support

AuthorMessageTime
Lenny
Is it possible to bypass a firewall which doesn't allow UDP?  Could it be possible to substitute a UDP socket with a TCP socket?
September 6, 2005, 1:08 AM
Kp
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12724.msg127017#msg127017 date=1125968904]Is it possible to bypass a firewall which doesn't allow UDP?  Could it be possible to substitute a UDP socket with a TCP socket?[/quote]

Sure, but it won't do you much good if the other end isn't expecting the substitution.  What're you trying to accomplish?
September 6, 2005, 1:16 AM
Lenny
Well I'm mainly trying to enable some form of UDP support for my current network.  As most know, it's the main protocol used by most games. 
September 6, 2005, 1:21 AM
LoRd
Enable UDP?
September 6, 2005, 3:19 AM
iago
On Starcraft, unless your firewall/router is broken, you should be able to join games.  If you send the initial packet, an "associated" rule will be around for the connections, and it will be smart enough to NAT them at you.  You won't be able to receive packets out of the void, so you can't create a game, but that's ok. 

I don't think there's any way to get around it, unless everybody agrees to tunnel it over tcp. 

Why don't you forward UDP-6112?
September 6, 2005, 2:00 PM
Lenny
Well I can't access the the firewall permissions.  Outgoing UDP is also blocked...

I may have to VPN with a more 'open' connection to get around this, if it's even possible.
September 6, 2005, 4:26 PM
iago
If you can't send any UDP what-so-ever, life sucks.  There are ways to get around it, but none of them are pretty.  Either use an axe to destroy your firewall, or change to a different ISP.  Or write an angry letter to your ISP. :)
September 6, 2005, 7:22 PM

Search