Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | FreeBSD binary chat client

AuthorMessageTime
nslay
If I committed such a port or hosted it...does this violate the TOS with blizzard?

Edit: This isn't skywing's Binary Chat...the "binary" refers to its ability to login into bnet via their games' binary protocols
August 22, 2005, 12:07 AM
Newby
Uh, yes.

tmp wrote slackchat if anybody is interested: www.x0r.ca/slackchat

All that is necessary is a modification of the Makefile, and it works wonders. I use it on my shell!@
August 22, 2005, 4:34 AM
Topaz
x0r? h@x0r.ca?
August 22, 2005, 4:59 AM
nslay
[quote author=Newby link=topic=12582.msg124908#msg124908 date=1124685282]
Uh, yes.

tmp wrote slackchat if anybody is interested: www.x0r.ca/slackchat

All that is necessary is a modification of the Makefile, and it works wonders. I use it on my shell!@
[/quote]

Thanks, going to read his source to learn :)
I was hoping to make this chatclient exactly the same as ChatterBot was in its day...
I was thinking of 3 optional interfaces, gtk interface, ncurses, and no interface, all of which the user can choose.
I'll certainly credit tmp for the learning...
August 22, 2005, 6:07 AM
GameSnake
Quick question: do must bots that work with Linux also work on BSD/Unix-like platforms?
August 22, 2005, 2:19 PM
Yegg
[quote author=GameSnake link=topic=12582.msg124957#msg124957 date=1124720340]
Quick question: do must bots that work with Linux also work on BSD/Unix-like platforms?
[/quote]
I don't think so. They may have to be compiled for the necessary system.
August 22, 2005, 2:37 PM
nslay
[quote author=GameSnake link=topic=12582.msg124957#msg124957 date=1124720340]
[/quote]
Well, most *BSDs have linux emulation and can run linux binaries pretty well, however, for native support, the code must be compiled.  Not all Linux source is compatible with *BSD.  While building ports that may have been designed for Linux, you might notice that FreeBSD applies patches to the source.
August 22, 2005, 3:38 PM
laurion
Newby, how do I modify the makefile to make it FreeBSD compatible?
August 23, 2005, 1:18 AM
JoeTheOdd
[quote author=Topaz link=topic=12582.msg124912#msg124912 date=1124686768]
x0r? h@x0r.ca?
[/quote]

No, thats my email address.
August 23, 2005, 2:56 AM
Newby
I forget what modification it is, but you type something like:

[quote]cd src && mv ./*.o include && gcc main.o include/conf.o include/cdkey.o include/checkver.o include/packet.o include/isock.o -o ../slackchat -lncurses[/quote]

After you type "make" and it errors out to finish compiling it.
August 23, 2005, 3:29 AM
laurion
@slackchat:
No color support on this terminal!
lol
August 23, 2005, 4:54 AM
mynameistmp
[quote]
I was thinking of 3 optional interfaces, gtk interface, ncurses, and no interface, all of which the user can choose.
[/quote]

The way I setup my ncurses interface is pretty complicated, you'll want to investigate the Forms library. When I wrote slackchat's interface I didn't have access to the internet, so I had no external references. I had to implement an entire command line, including arrow keys, backspace, etc. Time consuming.

If you're looking for something like a gtk interface, I'd write a plugin for xchat. I've thought about doing this a few times but havn't really had the time to do it. Feel free to just rip all of slackchat's login code (which is fairly simple to do, by design). All of the interface design is done for you by xchat, it's cross-platform compatible, AND you've got IRC/bnet rolled into one ;P I figured with slackchat's login code already in C it could be done in a week of spare time.

Let me know if you have any design or technical questions.

August 23, 2005, 7:21 AM
nslay
[quote author=mynameistmp link=topic=12582.msg125031#msg125031 date=1124781710]
[quote]
[/quote]

The way I setup my ncurses interface is pretty complicated, you'll want to investigate the Forms library. When I wrote slackchat's interface I didn't have access to the internet, so I had no external references. I had to implement an entire command line, including arrow keys, backspace, etc. Time consuming.

If you're looking for something like a gtk interface, I'd write a plugin for xchat. I've thought about doing this a few times but havn't really had the time to do it. Feel free to just rip all of slackchat's login code (which is fairly simple to do, by design). All of the interface design is done for you by xchat, it's cross-platform compatible, AND you've got IRC/bnet rolled into one ;P I figured with slackchat's login code already in C it could be done in a week of spare time.

Let me know if you have any design or technical questions.

[/quote]

Yes, I could write a plugin for xchat, however, I'd like to be able to use it while building a new system or when I'm forced to use the virtual terminals.  GTK doesn't look terribly difficult anyways.
I was thinking about making it multi protocol (with IRC as base for practicality) and then adding a mechanism to read some sort of ruleset to deal with other protocols (ie, bnet).
As for my progress, I've been out of the loop in programming for a while, however I did write a very flexible configurations parser class.

The overall design and plan I have is
1) Design a configurations parser for a desired format (done)
2) Design an easy to use network handler (although TehUser told me about ACE, I could look it up)
3) Design a UI dispatcher (it determines what to do with window operations, for example, if I wanted a gui, it would use GTK, if curses,it would use curses, if console, it would write it out as text)
4) Sew the above together into a chat client.

#2 It would be a plus to make this a class, then I could easily support multiple connections...though I would have make the GUI XChat or mIRC-like
August 23, 2005, 10:58 AM
mynameistmp
[quote author=Tazo link=topic=12582.msg125005#msg125005 date=1124759916]
[/quote]

I don't use FreeBSD, but along with the Starcraft 1.13c update I released a version for FreeBSD (any BSD really) just for guys like you ;P Just download the source and it'll compile/run right out of the tarball, no modification necessary.

www.x0r.ca/slackchat/slackchat.htm
August 24, 2005, 8:57 AM
nslay
[quote author=mynameistmp link=topic=12582.msg125192#msg125192 date=1124873841]
[quote author=Tazo link=topic=12582.msg125005#msg125005 date=1124759916]
[/quote]

I don't use FreeBSD, but along with the Starcraft 1.13c update I released a version for FreeBSD (any BSD really) just for guys like you ;P Just download the source and it'll compile/run right out of the tarball, no modification necessary.

www.x0r.ca/slackchat/slackchat.htm
[/quote]

You should commit a port :)
Although right now, FreeBSD 6 is almost out and we're in a ports freeze until its released
...they do that to make sure all the ports work correctly with the new release
you can check the status here:
http://www.freshports.org/
or subscribe to the FreeBSD ports mailing list...ooo and they have a native Quake III port now :O
August 24, 2005, 4:23 PM
laurion
how would I go about removing colors?
August 25, 2005, 2:57 AM
mynameistmp
You would probably be better off getting a terminal with colour support.
August 25, 2005, 7:12 AM
laurion
link seems to be dead..anyone got a copy?
September 25, 2005, 4:57 PM
iago
His sites down for a few days, it should be back up shortly, don't worry. 
September 25, 2005, 6:14 PM
mynameistmp
Site moved.

www.javaop.com/~tmp/ is the new location. Thanks to iago.
September 26, 2005, 5:31 AM
laurion
The requested URL /~tmp/slackchat_fbsd.tar.gz was not found on this server.
September 27, 2005, 11:59 PM
Newby
Edit your Makefile (on the original one)'s "slackchat" target to this:

[pre]slackchat : main.o isock.o conf.o packet.o checkver.o cdkey.o
        $(CC) main.o isock.o conf.o packet.o checkver.o cdkey.o -o ../slackchat -lncurses[/pre]
September 28, 2005, 12:04 AM

Search