Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Gaming Discussion | Re: Chess Tournament 1

AuthorMessageTime
Invert
[color=Red][size=15pt]Chess Tournament Update[/size] - Aug 23 2005[/color]
[color=yellow]The chess tournament has been suspended for now due to lack of involvement from some participants. You may use this thread to challenge someone and post the results of your match.[/color]

[color=Red][size=15pt]Chess Tournament Rules[/size] - Effective Aug 19 2005[/color]
The chess tournament consists of 5 rounds. The 1st round is the main round where everyone plays, the winners from the 1st round automatically advance to the 3rd round skipping the 2nd round. The losers from the 1st round play in the 2nd round for advancement into the 3rd round. The 3rd round consists of winners from the 1st and 2nd round competing to move on to the Semifinals (4th round). The winners from the Semifinals compete in the final game of chess in the Finals (5th round).

[list]
[li]You must use Yahoo.[/li]
[li]You must log all the moves in your game.[/li]
[li]The game must be under 2 hours.[/li]
[li]You must report your game results including your moves log in this thread. Screen shots are optional but recommended.[/li]
[li]Have fun![/li]
[/list]

[color=Red][size=15pt]Chess Tournament Players[/size][/color]
Rule · Dynobird · Invert
Falcon · Qwerty · Hitmen
Rabbit · Warrior · Tehuser
HisMajesty · Hdx · Shout
Topaz · Blaze · Joe

[color=Red][size=15pt]Chess Tournament Standings[/size] - Aug 23 2005[/color]

[color=Green][u]Round 1                                        [/u][/color]
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?

[color=Green][u]Round 2                                        [/u][/color]
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?

[color=Green][u]Round 3                                        [/u][/color]
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?

[color=Green][u]Semifinals                                    [/u][/color]
? vs ? = ?
? vs ? = ?

[color=Green][u]Finals                                            [/u][/color]
? vs ? = ?
August 15, 2005, 10:22 PM
KkBlazekK
I want to own topaz for beating trust. :)
August 16, 2005, 12:01 AM
Topaz
[quote author=Blaze link=topic=12536.msg124413#msg124413 date=1124150496]
I want to own topaz for beating trust. :)
[/quote]

Bitch, I'll kill you.
August 16, 2005, 12:42 AM
LW-Falcon
TehUser will slaughter all of you -_-
August 16, 2005, 1:16 AM
KoRRuPT
Not sure if I'm going to be available, I've been quite busy.
August 16, 2005, 1:19 AM
Invert
[quote author=Akamas link=topic=12536.msg124425#msg124425 date=1124155147]
Not sure if I'm going to be available, I've been quite busy.
[/quote]

I can have Blaze take your place. Is that ok with you?
August 16, 2005, 4:29 AM
KoRRuPT
Sure.
August 16, 2005, 4:40 AM
Rule
Thanks for keeping things going Invert.  I've been completely tied down with work.

Congratulations on your victory against Dynobird, I've heard he's very good.

I'll try and finish my game with Shout asap.  It's been kind of hard coordinating things because I have had to unexpectedly go out of town without internet access, and will be doing so again soon.

When I made the rules, I didn't have in mind an "elimination" tournament, but more that we would play a certain number of games, and then the top rated players would face off.  This was just incase #1 and #2 happened to face off in the first round, and one eliminated early despite being a great player and capable of defeating #1.

August 16, 2005, 7:13 AM
Invert
[quote author=Rule link=topic=12536.msg124446#msg124446 date=1124176435]
When I made the rules, I didn't have in mind an "elimination" tournament, but more that we would play a certain number of games, and then the top rated players would face off.  This was just incase #1 and #2 happened to face off in the first round, and one eliminated early despite being a great player and capable of defeating #1.[/quote]

I have a unique way of matching people that when it comes to the final the 2 best players will play. I got the system from a soccer turnament I was in, you will see.
August 16, 2005, 10:06 AM
KoRRuPT
[quote author=Invert link=topic=12536.msg124448#msg124448 date=1124186802]
I have a unique way of matching people that when it comes to the final the 2 best players will play. I got the system from a soccer turnament I was in, you will see.
[/quote]

Ohh the suspense...

[size=1]Note: the above isn't a sarcastic comment.[/size]
August 17, 2005, 1:25 AM
JoeTheOdd
Asuming its not too late to sign up, I'm in.
August 20, 2005, 1:11 AM
Invert
We'll see what we can do.
August 20, 2005, 1:34 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
Official note: I forfeit due to lack of time, thus Hdx won.
August 20, 2005, 8:56 PM
Invert
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=12536.msg124796#msg124796 date=1124571409]
Official note: I forfeit due to lack of time, thus Hdx won.
[/quote]

And you lost the 1st game...tipping the king = loss

On another note, I'm going to set a deadline for the 1st round. When a chess tournament was mention you punks were 1st to sign up but when it comes to playing the games you cant get your shit together.
August 21, 2005, 10:40 PM
KkBlazekK
Qwerty forfeited. :(
August 21, 2005, 11:43 PM
QwertyMonster
Girlfriend just got back, and im EXTREMELY busy this week in my life.
August 21, 2005, 11:46 PM
JoeTheOdd
[quote]On another note, I'm going to set a deadline for the 1st round. When a chess tournament was mention you punks were 1st to sign up but when it comes to playing the games you cant get your shit together.[/quote]
Go Invert!

EDIT -
[quote]Girlfriend just got back, and im EXTREMELY busy this week in my life.[/quote]
Yep, told me all about it. Man, I can't believe querty.. nevermind.

Off to yahoo, I be, to train!
August 22, 2005, 5:05 PM
Rule
I'm on vacation at the moment, so playing chess isn't very feasable at least until thursday.  However, I'd like to finish my game with Shout when I can. 

Since some of us have had a hard time coordinating things, why don't we just play with whomever we want "informally," then record the scores and moves on
www.valhallalegends.com/rule -- if you message me the results I have no problem posting them. 

After awhile many of us will accumulate decent records, and from those, we can have a tournament between some of the more active and higher ranked players?
August 23, 2005, 8:31 PM
Invert
[quote author=Rule link=topic=12536.msg125091#msg125091 date=1124829112]
I'm on vacation at the moment, so playing chess isn't very feasable at least until thursday.  However, I'd like to finish my game with Shout when I can. 

Since some of us have had a hard time coordinating things, why don't we just play with whomever we want "informally," then record the scores and moves on
www.valhallalegends.com/rule -- if you message me the results I have no problem posting them. 

After awhile many of us will accumulate decent records, and from those, we can have a tournament between some of the more active and higher ranked players?

[/quote]

Good idea. But why go through all the hassle of reporting things to you and you having to post it on a website, people could just use this thread to challenge others and post their results here.
August 23, 2005, 8:43 PM
Rule
That's fine.  Sometimes it's just nice having all of the information on one page, with all of the stats, etc.  Having a site could prevent us from bombarding people with information, and make it easy for people to get what they want.

It might be nice clicking on your name and looking through who you've played and what moves were made rather than digging through a thread ;).

(As far as challenges and game discussion I definitely encourage the use of this thread -- do NOT use me as a go-between for that stuff).

August 23, 2005, 9:03 PM
Invert
[quote author=Rule link=topic=12536.msg125096#msg125096 date=1124830992]
That's fine.  Sometimes it's just nice having all of the information on one page, with all of the stats, etc.  Having a site could prevent us from bombarding people with information, and make it easy for people to get what they want.

It might be nice clicking on your name and looking through who you've played and what moves were made rather than digging through a thread ;).

(As far as challenges and game discussion I definitely encourage the use of this thread -- do NOT use me as a go-between for that stuff).

[/quote]

If you are willing to take the time to do all that data collecting and recording I'm all for that. You should make your website work in IE, all I see is a blank page when using IE (might be the <pre> tags). It works fine in FF.
August 23, 2005, 9:10 PM
Rule
If anyone wants to share the responsibility, that would be awesome.  Of course, then we wouldn't use the vL site.

August 23, 2005, 9:14 PM
Invert
What would we use? How would we automate the process?
August 23, 2005, 9:17 PM
Rule
[quote author=Invert link=topic=12536.msg125100#msg125100 date=1124831459]
You should make your website work in IE, all I see is a blank page when using IE (might be the <pre> tags). It works fine in FF.
[/quote]

How do you know that wasn't intentional ;). 

It works in IE now.  I could write something that would allow people to submit their own scores+moves, and if it starts to get abused or if there are conflicts, either of us could moderate it.
August 23, 2005, 9:55 PM
JoeTheOdd
It would be rather easy to write a simple HTTP server that has index.html generated off of the statistics passed to report.html.
August 24, 2005, 3:23 AM
Invert
[quote author=Joe[x86] link=topic=12536.msg125141#msg125141 date=1124853786]
It would be rather easy to write a simple HTTP server that has index.html generated off of the statistics passed to report.html.
[/quote]

(idea)Or we can run some forum program and use it to report games for each player. Each thread is going to be the name of the player and each post in that thread is going to be their results and moves and screenshots etc... from each game. A player would only be able to post in his own thread.

That is a lot of functionality w/o a lot of effort involved.
August 24, 2005, 3:46 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
I could probably get something like that made in a few hours (though I can't actually start working on it for a couple days).
August 24, 2005, 7:00 AM
shout
[quote author=powered by nissan link=topic=12536.msg126148#msg126148 date=1125430761]
chess tournament? could these forums get any nerdier
[/quote]

We could have a forum-based Dungeons and Dragons game.
August 31, 2005, 3:39 AM
Newby
[quote author=powered by nissan link=topic=12536.msg126148#msg126148 date=1125430761]
chess tournament? could these forums get any nerdier
[/quote]

Yes they could. You could be not [s]posting[/s] flaming here and they'd be that much nerdier without you.
August 31, 2005, 5:18 AM
JoeTheOdd
If I've left anyone out contact me.

Poke.
September 12, 2005, 7:20 PM
Topaz
It's been over a week. Anyone actually do their games?
September 12, 2005, 11:35 PM
Invert
Teh, Dyno, myself and some others did play.

Time to un-sticky this.
September 13, 2005, 2:20 AM

Search