Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | What laptop should i buy?

AuthorMessageTime
BaDDBLooD
I am going to be buying a laptop and was wondering what laptops you all use, and what you think i should buy.

Thank You

- Joel
July 26, 2005, 10:13 PM
Maddox
I just got an Acer TravelMate 8100, suits me.
July 26, 2005, 10:17 PM
BaDDBLooD
[quote author=Maddox link=topic=12335.msg122061#msg122061 date=1122416230]
[/quote]

What do you use yours for?
July 26, 2005, 10:18 PM
hismajesty
What's your price range and intended use?
July 26, 2005, 10:28 PM
Maddox
[quote author=BaDDBLooD link=topic=12335.msg122062#msg122062 date=1122416305]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I shopped around for a while looking at different computers. I bought the notebook for its gaming capabilities. It has a 128MB ATI X700 graphics card. I also use it for programming, graphic work, and just general office stuff. I bought the 8103 version and put another 1GB stick of ram in it, so now I have 1.5GB of DDR2 ram. It's worked out pretty well, no regrets on the purchase.
July 26, 2005, 10:30 PM
BaDDBLooD
[quote author=Maddox link=topic=12335.msg122066#msg122066 date=1122417048]
[quote author=BaDDBLooD link=topic=12335.msg122062#msg122062 date=1122416305]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I shopped around for a while looking at different computers. I bought the notebook for its gaming capabilities. It has a 128MB ATI X700 graphics card. I also use it for programming, graphic work, and just general office stuff. I bought the 8103 version and put another 1GB stick of ram in it, so now I have 1.5GB of DDR2 ram. It's worked out pretty well, no regrets on the purchase.
[/quote]

I want it for the exact same reasons.  Price range, uh.... 1,500 or so give or take a few hundred :P
July 26, 2005, 10:34 PM
nslay
Thinkpad all the way :)
It's the most durable and secure laptop I've ever had.
Now they even have biometrics (which is not THAT much more secure)

The one I have has a security chip that stores the encryption key so its next to impossible to retrieve.  It encrypts/decrypts the data on the harddrive transparently.  It also has the option to store commonly used passwords so you don't have to keep them on your drive or type them in.

The only other models I know that have the security chip technology are HP laptops, but Hostile told me they have power problems.  My former room mate's HP laptop's screen started to malfunction and go white within 6 months of purchase.

With near 100 patents on the design, you can rest assured that they are very well built and very durable.  There was a commercial I saw that they "brace for impact" when dropped.

One note, I recommend the Pentium M over the Pentium IV, just for battery power purposes...a new Lithium battery and Pentium M can operate at around 6 hours depending on what you're doing.

I also recommend a warranty because laptop parts are very pricey if they do break.  The CD RW/DVD drive on mine can cost up to $300.

I'm not sure about Linux, but many versions of *BSD will run without a problem on Thinkpads (FreeBSD recognizes all my hardware).
July 27, 2005, 12:44 AM
BaDDBLooD
[quote author=nslay link=topic=12335.msg122072#msg122072 date=1122425052]
Thinkpad all the way :)
It's the most durable and secure laptop I've ever had.
Now they even have biometrics (which is not THAT much more secure)

The one I have has a security chip that stores the encryption key so its next to impossible to retrieve.  It encrypts/decrypts the data on the harddrive transparently.  It also has the option to store commonly used passwords so you don't have to keep them on your drive or type them in.

The only other models I know that have the security chip technology are HP laptops, but Hostile told me they have power problems.  My former room mate's HP laptop's screen started to malfunction and go white within 6 months of purchase.

With near 100 patents on the design, you can rest assured that they are very well built and very durable.  There was a commercial I saw that they "brace for impact" when dropped.

One note, I recommend the Pentium M over the Pentium IV, just for battery power purposes...a new Lithium battery and Pentium M can operate at around 6 hours depending on what you're doing.

I also recommend a warranty because laptop parts are very pricey if they do break.  The CD RW/DVD drive on mine can cost up to $300.

I'm not sure about Linux, but many versions of *BSD will run without a problem on Thinkpads (FreeBSD recognizes all my hardware).
[/quote]

Thanks for the information.
July 27, 2005, 1:26 AM
Topaz
Dell Insipiron. The battery runs for about 3 hours under heavy load, probably 5 hours with regular use. I have one, and it rocks :-)
July 27, 2005, 1:35 AM
Lenny
Laptops shouldn't be used for gaming, therefore you shouldn't consider that factor in buying a laptop.  Laptops never perform nearly as well as a desktop (even one at a much lower cost) as far as gaming is concerned.

Laptops are perfect for productivity and mobility.  It really depends on how you use the laptop which determines what brand you should buy.

But I would probably recommend Dell, since they have great deals.

Thinkpads are good laptops as well, but I personally don't think they're worth the price.
July 27, 2005, 1:54 AM
hismajesty
When I get a new laptop before college gaming is certainly going to be a factor. Sure, I probably won't game as much then as I do now, but I'm going to want it to be able to run the games I do want to play decently.
July 27, 2005, 2:54 AM
warz
Most new laptops now can run games similarly as well as desktops.
July 27, 2005, 3:04 AM
Lenny
IMO, its better to have a cheap laptop and a good desktop rather than just a good laptop.

Remember, laptops are nowhere near as expandable as desktops.  One or two years down the line, the laptop won't even be able to run any of the newest games.
July 27, 2005, 4:27 AM
iago
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12335.msg122100#msg122100 date=1122438473]
IMO, its better to have a cheap laptop and a good desktop rather than just a good laptop.

Remember, laptops are nowhere near as expandable as desktops.  One or two years down the line, the laptop won't even be able to run any of the newest games.
[/quote]

IMO, it's better to have a cheap desktop and a good laptop rather than just a good desktop.

Why?  Because my laptop goes everywhere with me.  I can bring it to work, my dad's, my friend's, and I can still play the same games there.  I bought mine almost a year ago, and it's still in good shape. 

At the rate technology is increasing, most computers end up being junked in 1-2 years anyway, and totally replaced (maybe with some salvaged parts like video card).  Your motherboard won't support the newest technology in 2 years.

But back to the subject at hand: I really like Intel's Centrino.  The Pentium-M processor runs cool and fast, and the onboard ipw2200 network card runs great with Windows or Linux, although both OS's require you to have drivers.  My drivers are stored on my iPod. 
July 27, 2005, 1:18 PM
laurion
Plus dell has that warranty thing, accidental damage or whatever, drop it and they will send you a new one  :D
July 27, 2005, 2:27 PM
BaDDBLooD

[/quote]

I Have used my 866 desktop for a very, very, very long time.  So i'm sure a 1.8 ghz~ won't expire for a very very long time as well.
July 27, 2005, 4:31 PM
BaDDBLooD
i am thinking about buying http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834146044
July 28, 2005, 12:09 AM
Yegg
That's a pretty good offer. It's also about the same price as a PowerBook G4.
July 28, 2005, 12:19 AM
Topaz
That's a terrible looking laptop :( I don't think you'd be able to play games on a 1.5 Pentium, either.
July 28, 2005, 2:03 AM
BaDDBLooD
[quote author=Topaz link=topic=12335.msg122214#msg122214 date=1122516216]
That's a terrible looking laptop :( I don't think you'd be able to play games on a 1.5 Pentium, either.
[/quote]

I can play Counter Strike: Source on my 866 Desktop.

I think i can play it on a 1.7 Ghz Laptop...
July 28, 2005, 2:46 AM
Lenny
[quote author=iago link=topic=12335.msg122121#msg122121 date=1122470335]

[/quote]

IMO, it's better to have a cheap desktop and a good laptop rather than just a good desktop.

Why?  Because my laptop goes everywhere with me.  I can bring it to work, my dad's, my friend's, and I can still play the same games there.  I bought mine almost a year ago, and it's still in good shape. 

At the rate technology is increasing, most computers end up being junked in 1-2 years anyway, and totally replaced (maybe with some salvaged parts like video card).  Your motherboard won't support the newest technology in 2 years.

But back to the subject at hand: I really like Intel's Centrino.  The Pentium-M processor runs cool and fast, and the onboard ipw2200 network card runs great with Windows or Linux, although both OS's require you to have drivers.  My drivers are stored on my iPod. 
[/quote]

I'm not sure how many people can afford to junk a desktop in 1-2 years.  IMO, thats horribly wasteful.  And as far as motherboards supporting new technologies, it really depends on the kind of motherboard you get.  And if you're looking to buy the newest techonology for any kind of gaming, you wouldn't be looking at a laptop.  As you've shown, laptops are meant for productivity.  You can do your work anywhre.

Also, you have to consider the loss factor, having an expensive laptop stolen or broken won't be easy to get over.  You can implement all the security features you want to prevent someone from seeing what you've stored on the laptop, but that still doesn't prevent someone from walking up and taking it.  The person who stole it won't be giving it back because they can't login to it.

I'm not suggesting you get a cheap hand-me-down laptop, I'm telling you not to buy a $2400 system.  It would be better to buy a $900 laptop and build a $1500 desktop (which would easily outperform the $2400 laptop).

If you're patient, Dell often has $750 off $1499+ laptop deals about once every month.  I don't think the laptop you're looking at (IBM T42) is a very good deal at all.  You definetly won't be doing any high end (or probably even second generation) gaming on that.  You could easily get a much better laptop for a much lower price from Dell.
July 28, 2005, 3:53 AM
crankycefx
Tweak up the Dell 700m.

It's a sweet laptop.

My buddy has a 600m, and it's tight.  My brother's friend when he visited had a ***m (only got a glimpse of it) but it looked sweeeeeet.

Our Inspiron 8200 has been pretty good to us.  I have no complaints.

Just get a Centrino M one, and maybe keep an eye open for video card expansion.  You don't have to do the upgrades from their site, either.  Take your laptop to a PC shop that knows what they are doing (local, not big corporate ones) and either buy from them or get them to help you.

good luck.
July 28, 2005, 4:06 AM
BaDDBLooD
Very good information, thank you.
July 28, 2005, 4:52 AM
Stealth
I have a Latitude D505 (equivalent to the D510) and love it. Runs WoW well considering it was a cheap buy.. the best part about it is that as long as you stay off the CD drive it gets around 5 hours of battery life. :)
July 28, 2005, 6:52 AM
iago
Incidentally, when you see "Pentium M 1.5ghz", that's not actually 1.5ghz.  It runs at about the same speed as a ~2.8ghz CPU.  Pentium M's have a different scale.

They are also scalable, so when they're plugged in and cool they run faster, but when they're unplugged and hot they'll slow down. 
July 28, 2005, 1:12 PM
hismajesty
Thinkpads are hideous.

How about a Tablet PC? That's what I would get if my budget was ~$1600ish, and it's probably what I will get.

Example
July 28, 2005, 2:04 PM
Topaz
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=12335.msg122261#msg122261 date=1122559443]
Thinkpads are hideous.

How about a Tablet PC? That's what I would get if my budget was ~$1600ish, and it's probably what I will get.

Example
[/quote]

/cough
July 28, 2005, 2:58 PM
hismajesty
Was that a good cough or a bad cough?
July 28, 2005, 3:55 PM
Topaz
It looks like one of those etch-a-sketch things I used to play with as a kid.
July 28, 2005, 4:24 PM
nslay
[quote author=Topaz link=topic=12335.msg122214#msg122214 date=1122516216]
[/quote]
Ha!  That T42 can play anything!
I have a T40 and that didn't stop me from playing games like Warcraft III or Quake III...I use my T40 as heavily as you (in general) use your desktop!  Well, and that's because I don't have a desktop.
May I mention one thing, Laptop : Pentium M :: Desktop : Pentium IV
Just keep that in mind...
July 28, 2005, 8:14 PM
nslay
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12335.msg122230#msg122230 date=1122522813]
[quote author=iago link=topic=12335.msg122121#msg122121 date=1122470335]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not sure how many people can afford to junk a desktop in 1-2 years.  IMO, thats horribly wasteful.  And as far as motherboards supporting new technologies, it really depends on the kind of motherboard you get.  And if you're looking to buy the newest techonology for any kind of gaming, you wouldn't be looking at a laptop.  As you've shown, laptops are meant for productivity.  You can do your work anywhre.
[/quote]

[quote]

Also, you have to consider the loss factor, having an expensive laptop stolen or broken won't be easy to get over.  You can implement all the security features you want to prevent someone from seeing what you've stored on the laptop, but that still doesn't prevent someone from walking up and taking it.  The person who stole it won't be giving it back because they can't login to it.

I'm not suggesting you get a cheap hand-me-down laptop, I'm telling you not to buy a $2400 system.  It would be better to buy a $900 laptop and build a $1500 desktop (which would easily outperform the $2400 laptop).

[/quote]

That's why you don't leave it lying around!  I've been carrying laptops around for nearly a decade, I travel quite a bit...and I've never had even one stolen.

[quote]
If you're patient, Dell often has $750 off $1499+ laptop deals about once every month.  I don't think the laptop you're looking at (IBM T42) is a very good deal at all.  You definetly won't be doing any high end (or probably even second generation) gaming on that.  You could easily get a much better laptop for a much lower price from Dell.
[/quote]

Err...I've had bad experience with Dells (just personal opinion).  Umm, that T42 can play any "high end" games...I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are laptops known as "desktop replacements" and believe me, they do just that.
Look, Intel's mobile technology resets what most people used to think of laptops.
July 28, 2005, 8:22 PM
Lenny
Warcraft III and Quake III are not high end games.  High end games are Battlefield 2, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc.

And the laptops which are as you call them 'desktop replacements' cost well over 2x the amount of the desktop they replace.
July 28, 2005, 8:27 PM
Topaz
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12335.msg122303#msg122303 date=1122582473]
Warcraft III and Quake III are not high end games.  High end games are Battlefield 2, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc.

And the laptops which are as you call them 'desktop replacements' cost well over 2x the amount of the desktop they replace.
[/quote]

No.
July 28, 2005, 10:01 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12335.msg122303#msg122303 date=1122582473]And the laptops which are as you call them 'desktop replacements' cost well over 2x the amount of the desktop they replace.[/quote]Only if you get overpriced stock shit.
July 28, 2005, 10:12 PM
nslay
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12335.msg122303#msg122303 date=1122582473]

[/quote]

Alright, I've been out of the game loop, but trust me, that T42 can play anything
Go look at the specs

Yes, desktop replacements cost well over 2x...and they also come with 2x more, as well as a wider screen, tv capturing devices, and larger harddrives...all of which are not needed to play "high end" games.
July 28, 2005, 10:17 PM
Lenny
No, I don't trust you :P
Video Specs:
Dedicated 64MB

I would expect a desktop equivalent which costs half as much as the laptop which replaces it to come with more than the laptop.  This is because such parts as hard drives and memory cost less for a desktop.

And a TV tuner card would probably get more use on a desktop.  When I'm going places with a laptop, I wouldn't be looking to watch TV.  And there's a good chance that wherever I am with a laptop, any TV cable I find will have a TV on one end.

I'm not suggesting him to just buy a desktop.  I'm suggesting you to buy both a desktop and a laptop.  It's better than investing all in one laptop.  And I would deifnetly not go with that laptop on newegg for that price.
July 29, 2005, 2:43 AM
Topaz
Never mind what I said about Dell's Insipiron 600m for gaming - I tried playing CS on a wireless connection, and it was terrible.
July 29, 2005, 2:53 PM
nslay
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12335.msg122376#msg122376 date=1122605003]
No, I don't trust you :P
Video Specs:
Dedicated 64MB

[/quote]

And?

[quote]

I would expect a desktop equivalent which costs half as much as the laptop which replaces it to come with more than the laptop.  This is because such parts as hard drives and memory cost less for a desktop.

And a TV tuner card would probably get more use on a desktop.  When I'm going places with a laptop, I wouldn't be looking to watch TV.  And there's a good chance that wherever I am with a laptop, any TV cable I find will have a TV on one end.

I'm not suggesting him to just buy a desktop.  I'm suggesting you to buy both a desktop and a laptop.  It's better than investing all in one laptop.  And I would deifnetly not go with that laptop on newegg for that price.
[/quote]

On second thought, my former roommate who had a desktop replacement actually heavily used his laptop for watching TV and he played a "first generation" (assuming you actually meant to say "new") game NBA Live 2005 without a problem.
I don't see anything valid to your claims that a laptop (even the T42) can't play "first generation" games.
July 29, 2005, 3:47 PM
nslay
[quote author=Topaz link=topic=12335.msg122408#msg122408 date=1122648814]
Never mind what I said about Dell's Insipiron 600m for gaming - I tried playing CS on a wireless connection, and it was terrible.
[/quote]

I guess your router had collisions with other routers...usually this happens when two routers in the area are using the same channel or you were too far from it.  The latter can be corrected by tweaking the DTIM, preamble, and fragmentation values.
July 29, 2005, 3:50 PM
Lenny
Battlefield 2 requirement:
[quote]
VIDEO
Video card must have 128 MB or more memory
[/quote]

[quote]
On second thought, my former roommate who had a desktop replacement actually heavily used his laptop for watching TV and he played a "first generation" (assuming you actually meant to say "new") game NBA Live 2005 without a problem.
I don't see anything valid to your claims that a laptop (even the T42) can't play "first generation" games.
[/quote]

On a third thought, a friend of mine as well as myself have heavily used the tv tuner cards in their desktop for watching TV.  You can't use anecdotal evidence. 
July 29, 2005, 5:37 PM
Topaz
I was right next to the router, I'd thought about that beforehand. When the blips got out of control and I kept dying, I hooked it up to the modem and I still had the same issue. I'm quite sure its the graphics card, not my internet connection.
July 29, 2005, 9:45 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=12335.msg122261#msg122261 date=1122559443]
Thinkpads are hideous.
[/quote]OMG!  YOU SUCK0ZRZ!

K, but yeah, Tablet's are cool, but the whole hinge scares me...what if it busts off (which look very possible)
July 29, 2005, 9:54 PM
nslay
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12335.msg122428#msg122428 date=1122658621]
Battlefield 2 requirement:
[quote]
VIDEO
Video card must have 128 MB or more memory
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

On a third thought, a friend of mine as well as myself have heavily used the tv tuner cards in their desktop for watching TV.  You can't use anecdotal evidence. 
[/quote]

Alright, I'll give into serious gaming...but 64MB video memory should be enough for many many other games.
Laptop technology is always a little behind the desktop technology in some things.  Then again, I see no real difference between a laptop and desktop...the modern laptop certainly has outdone itself in performance.  Suffice to say, I've seen compact desktops from just a monitor looking thing, to a small box that sits under the monitor...it seems to me that we're moving away from bulky boxes and perhaps to laptops or something even more formidable.

On a fourth thought, the X series Thinkpad has an Intel graphics chip that is rated to as high as 128MB memory (according to Intel...though IBM makes no mention of the memory rating)

If I had a desktop, I would have it do backups, logging, personal file sharing, and VPN for my wireless network...make it nice and secure :)
I'd probably keep it in the closet or something...I did that with a really old computer some years back.  It was a dinky little thing, but I ran a battle.net bot on it and forgot it even existed hehe.
July 29, 2005, 11:39 PM
Lenny
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=12335.msg122456#msg122456 date=1122674063]
Thinkpads are hideous.
[/quote]OMG!  YOU SUCK0ZRZ!

K, but yeah, Tablet's are cool, but the whole hinge scares me...what if it busts off (which look very possible)
[/quote]

I recall reading somewhere that Microsoft Tablet PC had an unresolved memory leak issue.  The memory leak would continue until the system would crash. Not sure if it's been fixed yet....

The Inspiron 600m doesn't have very good display options (maximum of 64MB Video).  But then again, CS isn't exactly the newest game.  But you shouldn't expect too much from a $800-900 laptop.  If you have the time, you should as I said before wait for dell to release a $750 off $1499+ coupon.  You could get a laptop worth $2499 @ Dell for the same price of the T42 you found on newegg.

I by no means believe that a desktop is better than a laptop.  But I believe both have their advantages and disadvantages.  If I could afford it, I would probably get 2 laptops.  But that just seems silly, a more affordable/practical solution would be a laptop and a desktop.
July 30, 2005, 12:57 AM
nslay
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12335.msg122474#msg122474 date=1122685053]

The Inspiron 600m doesn't have very good display options (maximum of 64MB Video).  But then again, CS isn't exactly the newest game.  But you shouldn't expect too much from a $800-900 laptop.  If you have the time, you should as I said before wait for dell to release a $750 off $1499+ coupon.  You could get a laptop worth $2499 @ Dell for the same price of the T42 you found on newegg.

[/quote]

The IBM site sells the T43 with its optimal configuration (plus it has biometrics) for $1599.  Much better than newegg price...if you can, the on-site warranty is excellent (it even has overnight shipping of replacements parts, the 'on-site' part means if you need something major replaced, they will send a technician out to do it for you, if you don't want to send it in or do it yourself)

See: T42/T43

IBM's PC website:
[url]http://www.pc.ibm.com/[/url]

July 30, 2005, 1:41 AM
nslay
The real question is, what are you looking for?  What do you need a laptop for?
Reasons a laptop benefits me:
1) I travel a lot with it
2) I can bring it to class and meetings with a professor I work with
3) Overall, the wireless and portability is a conveniant mixture whether at home or on the go

I mostly work with desktop applications and not so much gaming.

The T series Thinkpad is also very slim (maybe not as slim as the X series), durable and light which makes a noticeable difference from carrying around a 10-15 lb brick.

Now if you're looking for a gaming station as well as portability, maybe a desktop replacement fits your needs, or maybe a combonation of a laptop and desktop works.  If you're looking for portability and are working with desktop apps mostly, then a laptop is probably just fine. If you carry it around quite a bit, maybe a T or X series Thinkpad is for you...not sure what Dell has in terms of lightweight, but you could look there too.  Although, I think Thinkpads are much more durable and secure, their keyboard is more comfortable and their tracker mouse (the red thingy in the middle of the keyboard) is famous for its comfort and control, in fact a set of different tracker rubber thingies come with it for your taste.  Personally I like the touchpad or I use a regular mouse.  The keyboard may not be worth a lot monetarily but the touch and feel of the thinkpad's keyboard is much better than the Dell or HP laptop keyboards. 
July 30, 2005, 2:03 AM

Search