Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Pluralisation and corporate names

AuthorMessageTime
Arta
When you pluralise a verb, I'm pretty sure that the noun must be singular, which is rather unintuitive. Perhaps there's a different rule here? Intransitive verbs perhaps? This might not be anything to do with pluralisation, but I'll assume it does for now.

Example:

Citizen decides to paint house. (Citizen: singular. Decides: plural (?))
Citizens decide to paint house. (Citizens: plural. Decides: singular (?))

So, how should this work with corporate names? A corporation has legal identity, making it a 'person' (and thus, singular, in theory). That said, when one speaks about the actions of a corporation, one is generally referring to the actions of a group of people, making it plural. So, which of the following is correct?

IBM decide to paint headquarters.
IBM decides to paint headquarters.
July 17, 2005, 4:28 PM
Newby
IBM decides. =P

That's like asking, why do people say "a used car show" when it should be "an used car show"
July 17, 2005, 4:35 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=Newby link=topic=12257.msg121061#msg121061 date=1121618125]
IBM decides. =P

That's like asking, why do people say "a used car show" when it should be "an used car show"
[/quote]

No it shouldn't.  "a used car show" is correct.
July 17, 2005, 6:05 PM
iago
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=12257.msg121068#msg121068 date=1121623507]
[quote author=Newby link=topic=12257.msg121061#msg121061 date=1121618125]
IBM decides. =P

[/quote]

No it shouldn't.  "a used car show" is correct.
[/quote]

Mephiso is *gasp* correct.  If the u is long, like "you", it's not pronounced.  Just like if the first letter is a silent constant: "It's an historic monument".

Since IBM is a single entity:
IBM decides to eat chicken
Just like Joe is a single entity:
Joe decides to eat chicken

It's just like when you talk about "juice".  Although "juice" refers to all the juice in the world, when you talk about it you're treating it as one entity,
juice tastes good

That all makes sense to me.  If there was more than one IBM that you were talking about, you'd say
IBMs decide to eat chicken

Just like if you're talking about more than one juice:
Juices taste good.

July 17, 2005, 6:16 PM
Arta
[quote author=iago link=topic=12257.msg121069#msg121069 date=1121624172]
[/quote]

... unless IBM is already plural without the s! If you think of it as a group of people with a name, rather than a single organisation, it feels weird.

I think they both sound right :)
July 17, 2005, 6:22 PM
iago
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=12257.msg121071#msg121071 date=1121624542]
[/quote]

... unless IBM is already plural without the s! If you think of it as a group of people with a name, rather than a single organisation, it feels weird.

[/quote]

What about juice, though?

You wouldn't say, "Juice taste good" because "juice" is referring to more than once individual juice!
July 17, 2005, 6:23 PM
Arta
Juice isn't plural. Sure, there are many different kinds of juice, but the word itself isn't plural.

For example, you wouldn't say, "I tried 15 juice yesterday". You'd say, "I tried 15 juices yesterday". A better analagy would be sheep: the same word is used for the plural and the singular. Thus, you can say "sheep decides to eat grass" (1 sheep), or "sheep decide to eat grass" (>1 sheep) but never "sheeps decide to eat grass".

I think IBM is plural and signular, depending on whether you're referring to the corporate entity (singular) or the group of people comprising the corporation (plural). And, with that, I think I've answered my own question :)

IBM decide on new policy (the corporation has decided)
IBM decides on new policy (the employees/shareholders decided)

Thoughts?
July 17, 2005, 6:36 PM
iago
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=12257.msg121075#msg121075 date=1121625403]
Juice isn't plural. Sure, there are many different kinds of juice, but the word itself isn't plural.
[/quote]

Neither is IBM.  Problem solved!

[quote]
I think IBM is plural and signular, depending on whether you're referring to the corporate entity (singular) or the group of people comprising the corporation (plural). And, with that, I think I've answered my own question :)

IBM decide on new policy (the corporation has decided)
IBM decides on new policy (the employees/shareholders decided)
[/quote]

I think you have it backwards there, the plural version is the first one.

But in any case, I still disagree.  I don't think there's every a plural version of a corporation.  If you want plural, "IBM Employees" or "IBM Shareholders" or "IBM buildings", not just "IBM".  But when you do that, you're no longer talking about IBM, you're talking about a part of it. 

Another example is a person.  "John is slimy" -- John is singular, even though he's made up of many parts.  "John's organs are slimy", "John's hairs are pointy", "John's manners are deadly", etc. -- you're talking about a part of John, just like you're trying to talk about a part of IBM..

John decides to turn off -- John is a single person
John decide to turn off -- makes no sense
John's organs decide to turn off -- His organs are plural

July 17, 2005, 6:45 PM
shout
I think this is not a pluralization issue, this is a verb conjugation issue.

Ex:

He goes to the mall.
Neither he nor mall is plural. The 'es' is appended during conjugation.

They go to some malls.
Both they and malls is plural, no 'es' is present.

'S' or 'es' is appended when verbs are conjugated in the 3rd person singular.

[code]
    | singular | plural
1st | I go    | we go
2nd | you go  | ----
3rd | he goes  | they go
      she goes
      it goes[/code]
July 17, 2005, 7:13 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=12257.msg121059#msg121059 date=1121617716]
When you pluralise a verb, I'm pretty sure that the noun must be singular, which is rather unintuitive. Perhaps there's a different rule here? Intransitive verbs perhaps? This might not be anything to do with pluralisation, but I'll assume it does for now.

Example:

Citizen decides to paint house. (Citizen: singular. Decides: plural (?))
Citizens decide to paint house. (Citizens: plural. Decides: singular (?))

So, how should this work with corporate names? A corporation has legal identity, making it a 'person' (and thus, singular, in theory). That said, when one speaks about the actions of a corporation, one is generally referring to the actions of a group of people, making it plural. So, which of the following is correct?

IBM decide to paint headquarters.
IBM decides to paint headquarters.

[/quote]

No, no.  S-V agreement dictates that singular verb conjugations must match singular subjects.  You pluralize a verb by removing the "s".  Singular verbs have an S.

[edit] generally.
July 17, 2005, 7:51 PM
shout
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=12257.msg121083#msg121083 date=1121629910]
No, no.  S-V agreement dictates that singular verb conjugations must match singular subjects.  You pluralize a verb by removing the "s".  Singular verbs have an S.

[edit] generally.
[/quote]

View the table in my first post.
July 18, 2005, 1:15 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=12257.msg121071#msg121071 date=1121624542]
[/quote]

[/quote]It's singular because it's one group of people.  Think like teams.
Team decide to eat chicken <- wrong
Team decides to eat chicken <- right

Teams decide to eat chicken <- right
Teams decides to eat chicken <- wrong

Same thing for IBM, since it's one group of people.
July 18, 2005, 4:04 PM
Arta
Hmm, well, I used decides, so it looks like I'm ok :)

Interesting distinctions being made though. I agree that 'decides' is right, but I'm not sure I agree about the rules involved: congugation or pluralisation, for example? I think I'm leaning towards congugation.

We need a grammar expert :)
July 18, 2005, 4:09 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
You forget that people suck at their native language.  Most people probably don't know how to conjugate english words (rather they just sort of do it).
July 18, 2005, 4:17 PM
Rule
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=12257.msg121135#msg121135 date=1121702959]
Hmm, well, I used decides, so it looks like I'm ok :)

Interesting distinctions being made though. I agree that 'decides' is right, but I'm not sure I agree about the rules involved: congugation or pluralisation, for example? I think I'm leaning towards congugation.

We need a grammar expert :)
[/quote]

Myndfyre (and Shout -- yes you only get your name in ellipses, sorry) are right - adding 's' to a verb often puts it in a singular form.  So you are matching a singular noun to a singular verb.  It is "singular by definition," and seeing as though it works the opposite way with nouns, I can see why this would be counter-intuitive. 

I don't see the distinction between "pluralisation" and "conjugation" of these verbs.  The form of the verb is conjugated to reflect whether the noun it is referring to is in singular or plural form. 

The same rules apply to intransitive verbs, I think.

Modification -->  In the (in)complete sentences where you do have verbs that don't refer to nouns, when used imperatively or otherwise, they seem to take the "plural" form.

e.g. Go make me an apple pie!    ;)

Different examples, using verbs in the infinitive form -->

And from then on, I decided it was best to let him do all the cleaning.

I'm tempted to say that unless the verb isn't in the infinitive form yet refers to a noun, it takes the plural form.

July 18, 2005, 4:38 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
Only when the subject is singular.
July 18, 2005, 7:41 PM
iago
(19:53:15) Arta: poke
(19:53:25) Ron: hey
(19:53:28) Arta: Hey
(19:53:52) Ron: How are England today?
(19:53:59) Arta: Shaddup :P

:-)
July 18, 2005, 9:22 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
How is Canadas today?
July 18, 2005, 10:47 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Rule link=topic=12257.msg121139#msg121139 date=1121704709]
Modification -->  In the (in)complete sentences where you do have verbs that don't refer to nouns, when used imperatively or otherwise, they seem to take the "plural" form.

e.g. Go make me an apple pie!    ;)

Different examples, using verbs in the infinitive form -->

And from then on, I decided it was best to let him do all the cleaning.

I'm tempted to say that unless the verb isn't in the infinitive form yet refers to a noun, it takes the plural form.
[/quote]
That's an interesting set of examples, although I would venture further to say that in using the infinitive, you're actually creating an adjective clause (the same goes with a participle or gerund).

In your first example, the phrase "to let him do all the cleaning" is the noun -- the subject of the sentence (the sentence could have been "And from then on, I decided to let him do all the cleaning was best").

In terms of the command form, "Go make me an apple pie (woman)," I would suggest that the verb is conjugated correctly, with the subject removed.  What is the subject of a command?  You.  Plural or singular, 2nd-person conjugations are always the same ("You go" is the same as "You all go").  Hence the singular or plural command forms always take the second-person conjugation.
July 18, 2005, 11:14 PM
Rule
[quote author=MyndFyre]
"And from then on, I decided to let him do all the cleaning was best").
[/quote]

You're starting to sound like Yoda....

oops... Yoda, you're starting to sound like :p

July 19, 2005, 2:55 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Rule link=topic=12257.msg121184#msg121184 date=1121741751]
[quote author=MyndFyre]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Still wrong!

Like Yoda, starting to sound, you are.
July 19, 2005, 3:46 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=12257.msg121186#msg121186 date=1121744790]
[quote author=Rule link=topic=12257.msg121184#msg121184 date=1121741751]
[quote author=MyndFyre]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Still wrong!

Like Yoda, starting to sound, you are.
[/quote]Nope!
Yoda like sound to start are you.
July 19, 2005, 5:13 AM
shout
The ownage, I am.
July 19, 2005, 5:18 AM
Myndfyr
OT

As I sit here and look at the sigs of the last 3 posts, it occurs to me that I should note that *I* stole the sig pic from Distant.Echo at StealthBot.net.  :)
July 19, 2005, 6:32 AM
shout
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=12257.msg121208#msg121208 date=1121754775]
OT

As I sit here and look at the sigs of the last 3 posts, it occurs to me that I should note that *I* stole the sig pic from Distant.Echo at StealthBot.net.  :)
[/quote]

...!
July 19, 2005, 9:16 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=12257.msg121208#msg121208 date=1121754775]
OT

[/quote]Meh..I stole it from you, not DE.
July 19, 2005, 9:28 PM
Arta
http://musingsofharry.blogspot.com/2005/07/disney-decides-to-abuse-valued.html

:)
July 20, 2005, 1:10 AM

Search