Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Should I make multiple Hashes?

AuthorMessageTime
bethra
Ok, so I'm going to have like 2 bots try and connect simultaneously and they are both going to be locally hashing.  Since there is a chance that they will be hashing the files at the same thing, should I make two separate folders for hashes?

I'm thinking that there might be some conflict when each bot is trying to hash using the same files...

I'm in the process of thinking of all the possible mishaps that might occur in advanced.
July 16, 2005, 1:07 AM
Tass
You can use hashes at the same time.. with one bot but I'd suggest making a object array of your winsocks and other things.
July 16, 2005, 1:13 AM
HdxBmx27
I haave never had any problems with this. I run, JBLS, TestBNCS, quite a few bots, all running off the same hashes (E:\Hashes\) You shouldnt get any errors, your just reading file, not writing to them or anything.
~-~(HDX)~-~
July 16, 2005, 1:14 AM
Kp
Just remember to pass 0 for the third parameter to CreateFile when you open the files.
July 16, 2005, 2:23 AM
Lenny
Would it be necessary to prohibit read access to a file while another handle is still open?
July 16, 2005, 4:17 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12243.msg120971#msg120971 date=1121487442]
Would it be necessary to prohibit read access to a file while another handle is still open?

[/quote]
Only if the other file handle is open for write access.  You can cause synchronization issues if the file is being written-to.

I guess it's not a big deal in hashing scenarios (btw, for the record, FILES ARE NOT HASHES.  HASHES ARE VALUES CALCULATED BY PROCESSING THE FILES IN A PREDETERMINED MANNER.  It's like people are really Caboose and I just want to call them "Bluetard"), when you're just reading the files.
July 16, 2005, 4:22 AM
LoRd
If both bots are on the same server, you could simply cache the results from CheckRevision() and use them for the second bot.
July 16, 2005, 4:23 AM

Search