Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Java Programming | AP Comp. Sci. 'A' Scores are in!

AuthorMessageTime
Networks
Since it's on Java, I put it in this forum, What did you guys get?

I got a 4. :D
July 12, 2005, 1:12 AM
K
[quote author=Networks link=topic=12181.msg120282#msg120282 date=1121130733]

[/quote]

I took the AB several years ago when it was still C++.  Damn young whipersnappers.
July 12, 2005, 1:31 AM
Networks
[quote author=K link=topic=12181.msg120285#msg120285 date=1121131894]
[quote author=Networks link=topic=12181.msg120282#msg120282 date=1121130733]

[/quote]

I took the AB several years ago when it was still C++.  Damn young whipersnappers.
[/quote]

You're just old, grandpa.
July 12, 2005, 1:40 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=K link=topic=12181.msg120285#msg120285 date=1121131894]
[/quote]

I also took the old AB test. Wonder how it compares to the new Java test. [Censor]. As for the AB, it is a little more challenging and actually covers topics you will see in college.

Edit: Censored valid opinion.
July 12, 2005, 4:13 AM
Tuberload
Constructive criticism at it's best!

Networks, if you come to realize that human nature will never allow you to prosper, and let your will to take over, you will go far. Be proud of your achievements and carry on!
July 12, 2005, 4:51 AM
Rule
Yeah..  what dxoi wrote was uncalled for, and probably untrue.
July 12, 2005, 5:44 AM
K
[quote author=dxoigmn link=topic=12181.msg120303#msg120303 date=1121141609]
I also took the old AB test. Wonder how it compares to the new Java test. Personally, I think the A test is a joke and if you don't get at least a 4 then good luck in college. As for the AB, it is a little more challenging and actually covers topics you will see in college.
[/quote]

[quote] Yeah..  what dxoi wrote was uncalled for, and probably untrue.[/quote]

You may dislike this reply, but at least at my university you will get no credit hours for a score below a 4 on the A exam, so it's entirely correct.  If you get a 5 on the AB you can exempt two classes for a total of 8 credits; if you get a 4 or 3 on the AB, you can exempt one 4 credit class.

A 5 on the 'A' exam is the same as a 4 or 3 on the AB.
July 12, 2005, 6:28 AM
Rule
[quote author=K link=topic=12181.msg120317#msg120317 date=1121149716]
You may dislike this reply, but at least at my university you will get no credit hours for a score below a 4 on the A exam, so it's entirely correct.  If you get a 5 on the AB you can exempt two classes for a total of 8 credits; if you get a 4 or 3 on the AB, you can exempt one 4 credit class.
A 5 on the 'A' exam is the same as a 4 or 3 on the AB.
[/quote]

I am well aware of the grading standards used by the college board in its AP examinations, thank you very much.  Many years ago I wrote quite a few AP exams.

At my university, you won't get credit for any AP exam if you score less than a 4.  So what?  My previous comment is about as irrelevant as yours was in regards to your university.  Maybe you didn't read his reply very carefully.

Just because most universities don't give credit for AP exam scores lower than 4 doesn't mean the statement
"Personally, I think the A test is a joke and if you don't get at least a 4 then good luck in college." is entirely correct. 

Networks was happy to have been deemed "well qualified" by the college board to receive credit for 1 semester of comp sci, while still in high school.  Dxoi's response was snide and unconstructive; it really served little purpose but to belittle Networks' feelings.   

Also, a '5' on the A exam is not the same as a '4' or '3' on the AB.  That's like saying an "A" in 1st semester comp sci is the same as a "B" or a "C" as a composite grade for 1st year comp sci.

Even when we treat your particular university's credit-granting procedures as gospel instead of using the college board's guidelines, they aren't equivalent.
July 12, 2005, 7:39 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=Rule link=topic=12181.msg120320#msg120320 date=1121153976]
I am well aware of the grading standards used by the college board in its AP examinations, thank you very much.  Many years ago I wrote quite a few AP exams.

At my university, you won't get credit for any AP exam if you score less than a 4.  So what?  My previous comment is about as irrelevant as yours was in regards to your university.  Maybe you didn't read his reply very carefully.

Just because most universities don't give credit for AP exam scores lower than 4 doesn't mean the statement
"Personally, I think the A test is a joke and if you don't get at least a 4 then good luck in college." is entirely correct. 

Networks was happy to have been deemed "well qualified" by the college board to receive credit for 1 semester of comp sci, while still in high school.  Dxoi's response was snide and unconstructive; it really served little purpose but to belittle Networks' feelings.   

Also, a '5' on the A exam is not the same as a '4' or '3' on the AB.  That's like saying an "A" in 1st semester comp sci is the same as a "B" or a "C" as a composite grade for 1st year comp sci.
[/quote]

The whole reason for taking AP classes is to receive credit for college (as they say). It seems unusual to pay the $60 or what ever outrageous sum of money it is to take the test if it is not going to help with college. Dartmouth does not even recognize the A test as even a legitimate test and thus will offer no credit for even a 5! Now if that doesn't say something about the test then I must be stupid.

Edit: Interestingly enough, MIT does not recognize either test.
July 12, 2005, 7:53 AM
K
[quote author=Rule link=topic=12181.msg120320#msg120320 date=1121153976]
Even when we treat your particular university's credit-granting procedures as gospel instead of using the college board's guidelines, they aren't equivalent.
[/quote]

my entire reply was in reference to my universities' credit granting procedure, not gospel.  I wasn't attempting to imply that every university applies AP credits the same way, since that's definently not true.  What I was stating was how the university of colorado, which is a major public university, treats grades on the AP computer science exam.  Of course other colleges will treat it diferently -- that's a given.

[quote]
Also, a '5' on the A exam is not the same as a '4' or '3' on the AB.  That's like saying an "A" in 1st semester comp sci is the same as a "B" or a "C" as a composite grade for 1st year comp sci.[/quote]
Again, you missed the point, which is probably my fault for seperating from my other text -- Receiving a 4 or 3 on the AB at the university of colorado gives you same credit hours as receiving a 5 on A.

Certainly just because you got less than a 4 on whatever AP exam doesn't mean "good luck in college" -- that wasn't the point I was trying to make.  What I was  saying is that dxoigmn's comments are not "uncalled for and completely untrue."  A lot of state universities with good engineering programs will not accept less than a 4 as equivalent to an entry level class.
July 12, 2005, 8:00 AM
Rule
I don't care whether Dartmouth recognizes the test or not.  My point was that your comment was snide and rather unsupportive.  Regardless of whether you think his score is an achievement or not, it was something he was happy about and you belittled -- that bothered me.

By the way, the college board wouldn't put the exam out and claim it was worth 1 semester of comp sci if it were a useless test.  Also, Cornell recognizes the test.

July 12, 2005, 8:10 AM
Lenny
Regarding AP courses, many colleges do not see these as college equivalents and in a majority of cases, they aren't.  There have been many cases where students use their AP credit to enter a more difficult class and end up failing.

But APs are definetly great ways to skip course requirements  ;D
July 12, 2005, 8:19 AM
hismajesty
I took the test for fun, as I have no intention of majoring in anything computer related. I got an A in the class (super easy class) but I'm afraid I might have gotten a 3 or 2 on the AP exam. I spent too much time on one of the written examples and did it in a very elegant way, but then when I finally got to the fourth written response, I only had 3 minutes left. I haven't gotten my score yet, but if it's decent I'll post it!
July 12, 2005, 1:34 PM
Networks
You all most realize one thing. If you're going to a tech school and majoring in that type of feild it's usually not best to skip it anyhow as you cannot compare a high school based class to a college class, I am sure many of you will agree. I know I'd skip computer science at my local university but I'd think twice about doing so at MIT for example, Dartmouth is a good tech school I think as well. AP tests are really just good for the option to be open if I decide later on, there's nothing wrong with it. If you have the money take it, if not be careful what you take so you don't waste more money instead of actually saving.

dxoigmn, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, someone can easily say the same at a subject you completely suck at. I took the A test because I had only studied Java for about a month to a month and a half and my school doesn't even offer an AP Computer Science class, not to mention I was the first one ever to take the test in my school's history. I  believe there will be an AP class starting next year though. I figured why bomb the test? Yes I'd say it was really easy though, Zorm probably knows why I got a 4 :P (Damn Zig Zag fish).
July 12, 2005, 2:31 PM
shadypalm88
I got my scores by phone on July 1.  I took the AB exam and got a 5.
July 12, 2005, 4:08 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=Networks link=topic=12181.msg120342#msg120342 date=1121178701]
You all most realize one thing. If you're going to a tech school and majoring in that type of feild it's usually not best to skip it anyhow as you cannot compare a high school based class to a college class, I am sure many of you will agree. I know I'd skip computer science at my local university but I'd think twice about doing so at MIT for example, Dartmouth is a good tech school I think as well. AP tests are really just good for the option to be open if I decide later on, there's nothing wrong with it. If you have the money take it, if not be careful what you take so you don't waste more money instead of actually saving.

dxoigmn, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, someone can easily say the same at a subject you completely suck at. I took the A test because I had only studied Java for about a month to a month and a half and my school doesn't even offer an AP Computer Science class, not to mention I was the first one ever to take the test in my school's history. I  believe there will be an AP class starting next year though. I figured why bomb the test? Yes I'd say it was really easy though, Zorm probably knows why I got a 4 :P (Damn Zig Zag fish).
[/quote]

I wasn't trying to belittle you as Rule is trying to make it out to be. When I was taking the AP tests I thought taking the A would be good enough but after checking my prospective schools and what they would offer me, I noticed many of them did not even think the A test was worthy of credit. So I opted to take the AB test (my high school didn't offer an AB class only an A, which even then was lacking since most of the students only received 3 in previous years).

I have a grudge against the College Board only because it seems like the kind of organization that was setup to take unsuspecting kid's money (and many of the students at my high school were "AP whores," that is they only learned enough to get a 4 or better on the test; many of them ended up like the students Lenny described). You take all these courses for AP credit only to find out later that your college won't recognize your achievement. And rightfully so, after looking over many of the AP tests, it is hard to say many of them are college equivalent (except for many the Calc AB/BC tests which helped me immensly with my math credits and higher courses).

What the case study still the same-old marine biology?
July 12, 2005, 6:08 PM
shadypalm88
[quote author=dxoigmn link=topic=12181.msg120362#msg120362 date=1121191713]What the case study still the same-old marine biology?
[/quote]Yup.
July 12, 2005, 6:28 PM
hismajesty
The zig zag fish question was easy, but it's the one I spent the most time on I think.
July 12, 2005, 6:51 PM
The-FooL
Got a 5 on the AB last year.  Real easy except that the case study was a pain in the ass.
July 13, 2005, 2:16 AM
hismajesty
I'm an AP Whore, so are some of my friends. It's OK, the school pays for our tests as of this year (well, year that just ended.)
July 13, 2005, 3:46 AM
zorm
I took the A exam and got a 5. The school I want to goto gives credit for 1 class for a 4/5 on the A test and 2 classes for a 4/5 on the AB test.

I'm not in a huge rush to skip through lots of college classes. I consider the fact that schools even give credit for the AP Computer Science classes lucky. Most of the year in my AP class was spent playing Doom3 and UT2004. We never had a graded assignment and the only time we really ever went over anything was when we spent 3 days going over the case study. Maybe this was for the best as some of the people in the class spent time coding for other projects not related directly to the AP exam, I bet they learned more than the people who worked directly out of an ap study book.

Looking at the people who claimed to have gotten a 5 on the AB exam and then looking at some of the last posts they've made really makes me wonder too.

July 13, 2005, 7:02 AM
hismajesty
Still no score.
July 14, 2005, 5:16 AM
zorm
Must mean you did so poorly it wasn't worth sending you a score :p (just kidding for those who didn't pick up on it).

Have faith and tell the mailman you want your scores!
July 14, 2005, 6:10 AM
hismajesty
Or I did so awesome they're reviewing the test again to make sure. =)
July 14, 2005, 12:59 PM
The-FooL
[quote author=Zorm link=topic=12181.msg120482#msg120482 date=1121238145]
Looking at the people who claimed to have gotten a 5 on the AB exam and then looking at some of the last posts they've made really makes me wonder too.

[/quote]
Who exactly are you referring to buddy?
July 14, 2005, 10:50 PM
Networks
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=12181.msg120674#msg120674 date=1121345994]
Or I did so awesome they're reviewing the test again to make sure. =)
[/quote]

Reviewing it because they know you failed definetly. :P
July 14, 2005, 11:38 PM
darkxir
[quote author=The-FooL link=topic=12181.msg120744#msg120744 date=1121381410]
[quote author=Zorm link=topic=12181.msg120482#msg120482 date=1121238145]

[/quote]
Who exactly are you referring to buddy?
[/quote]

I can't speak for zorm, But I assume you.
July 15, 2005, 10:18 AM
hismajesty
I had a dream I got a 3. Still haven't gotten my score, though.
July 15, 2005, 2:04 PM
hismajesty
Score came. I got what I expected (but I always expect the worst) but not what I hoped for. I'm really wishing I had done t he AP exam reviews, or done work period second semester. After I realized that people will give me all the answers if I just help them with a few problems here and there, I just talked during class.
July 18, 2005, 4:50 PM
St0rm.iD
July 21, 2005, 3:19 AM

Search