Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | UDP

AuthorMessageTime
laurion
Does anyone know where I can find information about UDP? (i.e. what the format is to send it in?)

Thanks.
May 2, 2003, 8:24 PM
Grok
This looks meaty.

UDP Decomposition: http://mike.passwall.com/networking/udppacket.html

Networking site: http://mike.passwall.com/networking/
May 2, 2003, 8:57 PM
laurion
[quote author=Grok link=board=17;threadid=1213;start=0#msg9002 date=1051909037]
This looks meaty.

UDP Decomposition: http://mike.passwall.com/networking/udppacket.html

Networking site: http://mike.passwall.com/networking/

[/quote]
Heh, thanks.
May 2, 2003, 9:07 PM
Yoni
[quote author=laurion link=board=17;threadid=1213;start=0#msg9001 date=1051907086]
Does anyone know where I can find information about UDP? (i.e. what the format is to send it in?)

Thanks.
[/quote]Your question isn't specific enough.
Are you asking about...
* The UDP protocol itself, and how it's implemented over IP? (Follow the URLs Grok posted.)
* General guidelines for sending a UDP message? (There are no special rules. Each datagram retains its size as it is not a streaming protocol like TCP, and unlike TCP, the protocol does not guarantee datagrams arriving at all, arriving in the right order or the integrity of sent datagrams - although it naturally tries to maximize those.)
* The format of Battle.net-related UDP messages? (BnetDocs might have some minimal info on this.)
May 2, 2003, 11:20 PM
Grok
Actually RFC 1180 looks quite educational as well.

May 3, 2003, 3:03 AM
MesiaH
UDP is a faster, but smaller protocol designed mostly for internet games. Because the packets are small and it is so fast, it helps reduce the wait and connection procedure used with TCP. a UDP socket just sits and waits for data from anywhere, and just sends it back, therefore, if you wanted to block somebody, it would have to be implemented into a protocol or something of the sort.
May 4, 2003, 12:57 AM
tA-Kane
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=17;threadid=1213;start=0#msg9097 date=1052009832]if you wanted to block somebody [on UDP], it would have to be implemented into a protocol or something of the sort.[/quote]You're assuming that somebody would be willing to simply not send you packets. No, the best way to block somebody in a protocol-less environment is to simply ignore them on your end (disregard packets coming in from their IP). There's not much you can do elsewise.
May 4, 2003, 8:48 PM
Grok
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=17;threadid=1213;start=0#msg9097 date=1052009832]
UDP is a faster, but smaller protocol designed mostly for internet games.[/quote]

Revisionist history is never pretty.
May 4, 2003, 8:57 PM
Arta
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=17;threadid=1213;start=0#msg9097 date=1052009832]
UDP is a faster, but smaller protocol designed mostly for internet games.[/quote]

Are you kidding? UDP was designed when pong was revolutionary...

[quote]
This protocol provides a procedure for application programs to send
messages to other programs with a minimum of protocol mechanism.
The
protocol is transaction oriented, and delivery and duplicate protection
are not guaranteed. Applications requiring ordered reliable delivery of
streams of data should use the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP).
[/quote]

rofl @ "Revisionist history is never pretty", btw :)
May 5, 2003, 6:34 PM
MesiaH
im no good with explaining things the way i mean to, with text anyways :-\
May 5, 2003, 7:47 PM
Grok
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=17;threadid=1213;start=0#msg9206 date=1052164046]
im no good with explaining things the way i mean to, with text anyways :-\
[/quote]

Come on, relax :) You're going to have to laugh at yourself occasionally to hang with this crowd. We'll catch most every little detail.

What you meant to say was internet game programmers tend to prefer UDP, because it is smaller and faster than TCP, where speed is a big factor.
May 5, 2003, 10:09 PM
MesiaH
yes thats exactly what i meant..
May 9, 2003, 3:28 AM

Search