Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Who Keeps...............

AuthorMessageTime
Tontow
  Who keeps deleteing my posts?  I made one earlyer this morning titled "I need Packet help" that is now gone, and about 2 or 3 replys to other topics are gone also.  :-\

It would be different if there was a reason, but I've seen nothing of the sort. - No PMs, no topic saying that the thred was deleted, nothing, and to my knolage I have not broaken any of the rules.....
July 4, 2005, 11:35 PM
KkBlazekK
https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/phpbbs/index.php?topic=12056.msg118613#msg118613

Lets add some more you just made me notice..
[list]
[li]Wrong Board[/li]
[li]Whining[/li]
[/list]

Starting topics like this isn't helping either.  Don't expect when you make a bad post to be notified about it, just expect it to be gone, and if you keep posting bad, expect yourself to be gone. :)
July 4, 2005, 11:38 PM
Tontow
[quote]
Popular reasons why posts are deleted:

They make no sense
They flame someone
They are spam
They are off-topic
They are begging for someone elses work
They are just stupid in general
[/quote]
The topic "I need Packet help."  didn't break any of those and it concerned packets that pretain to bots, so I don't beleve that it was the wrong board.

[quote]
-The post is just plain wrong.  For instance, you complained about a deleted post when it was not deleted.
-It invites a thread-hijack.  Posts should be on topic for the thread in which they occur, as well as for the forum in which that thread is posted.  Thread hijacks usually just get broken out into a new thread, like this one did.
-It inquires about the status of deleted posts.  If Blaze hadn't responded to you already,
[/quote]
And I wouldn't normally bother "about inquireing about the status of deleted posts",  but the post "I need Packet help." didn't break any of the rules what-so-ever; and there is no admin complaint forum to report the possability of a moderator abuseing there powers.
July 4, 2005, 11:49 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
Off-Topic: You need English lessons.

On-Topic: this thread is whining, so please go away now.
July 5, 2005, 1:00 AM
Tontow
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=12073.msg118914#msg118914 date=1120525206]
Off-Topic: You need English lessons.
[/quote]
And your point is????  (Note: Most people that I know could care less about it.)

[quote]
On-Topic: this thread is whining, so please go away now.
[/quote]
Whine:
-To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
Complain:
-To express feelings of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.

I'm sorry if I have come to expect a certain level of responsibility from all forum moderators all over the internet; it seems that legitimate complaints are to considered whining no matter what.  I've just gotten used to the style of forum moderation that PGTour had; complaints where never meet with the words, "Please Die"..........
July 5, 2005, 2:41 AM
Kp
While we haven't said that yet, I can assure you that is on many of our minds.  Many of the posters on this forum value clarity in posts, hence rabbit's comment.  His point is that your posts are messy and that you should make an effort to make cleaner posts.

As to whining - do you have any concept of the history behind these forums and this clan?  Have you read any of the guide for visitors?
July 5, 2005, 2:57 AM
Tontow
I try my best to make it a point to read all stickys that have something along the lines of, "Read this", "Forum Rules", or "Information for newcomers ". 
And no, I really don't know anything about the history of Valhalla Legends; Aside from the sticky threads that concern forum rules, I’ve been keeping to threads that concern programming.  All I know about Valhalla Legends is that the programming forums have been a valuable resource when I need help or advice about programming; Several people here are more experienced programmers and I welcome there advice.

I also apologize if any of my posts have not been clear; I tend to type fairly fast and if you combine that with the lack of sleep…….
July 5, 2005, 4:41 AM
Myndfyr
The following website pages are what Kp was referring to (they're well-known to most of the long-time forum members):
About [vL]
Visitor Guide
Of particular interest in the Visitors Guide is:
[quote]What To Do If You Get Banned
Live with it; whining will usually make things worse. Bringing your grievance to the forum is considered whining. Members of Valhalla Legends have complete discretion with respect to how they treat non-members. 
[/quote]
Generally, and I won't speak for other forum members, but I've observed that you can replace "Banned" with "X" where "X" is any activity that would result in you whining.  Pretty much, they don't want to hear you whining.  This post is whining, as a couple people have remarked.
July 5, 2005, 3:35 PM
Networks
I did!
July 5, 2005, 4:15 PM
Tontow
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=12073.msg118981#msg118981 date=1120577743]
The following website pages are what Kp was referring to (they're well-known to most of the long-time forum members):
About [vL]
Visitor Guide
Of particular interest in the Visitors Guide is:
[quote]What To Do If You Get Banned
Live with it; whining will usually make things worse. Bringing your grievance to the forum is considered whining. Members of Valhalla Legends have complete discretion with respect to how they treat non-members. 
[/quote]
Generally, and I won't speak for other forum members, but I've observed that you can replace "Banned" with "X" where "X" is any activity that would result in you whining.  Pretty much, they don't want to hear you whining.  This post is whining, as a couple people have remarked.
[/quote]

So the policy here is to ignore any grievance irregardless  of weather or not its legitimate? 
That just doesn’t seem right to me, but its not like I can do anything about it seeing as any complaint/grievance is to be considered whining no matter what…
July 5, 2005, 5:57 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Tontow link=topic=12073.msg119002#msg119002 date=1120586234]
So the policy here is to ignore any grievance irregardless  of weather or not its legitimate? 
That just doesn’t seem right to me, but its not like I can do anything about it seeing as any complaint/grievance is to be considered whining no matter what…
[/quote]
You're missing the point.  All of the Bnet BotDev moderators are vL members.  The only other people who could remove your posts are admins, the vL leaders.  Therefore, they're all vL members who could modify or remove your posts.

vL was created for members, not non-members.  The members can screw with you any way they want.  That's the price you (potentially) pay for coming here.  If you don't like it, then leave.
July 5, 2005, 6:20 PM
Archangel
Its easy to understand this,
this is a VL members forum, we are just the visitors.
July 5, 2005, 9:25 PM
Quarantine
How about letting topics die and hoping the problem goes away instead of all of us trying to be moderators?
July 5, 2005, 9:32 PM
Kp
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=12073.msg119074#msg119074 date=1120599143]How about letting topics die and hoping the problem goes away instead of all of us trying to be moderators?[/quote]

Well, the regulars are doing a pretty good job of explaining the situation.  Grievances are welcome, but whining is not.
July 6, 2005, 3:50 AM
Tontow
Ah, but:
[quote]Bringing your grievance to the forum is considered whining. Members of Valhalla Legends have complete discretion with respect to how they treat non-members. 
[/quote]

Where then, dose a non-member bring a grievance to?  Anwser: you don't, because

[quote]The members can screw with you any way they want. [/quote]

Therefor, there is nothing that I , a non-member, can do about it irregardless of the reasons or lack there of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now then;
Is there any objection to my reposting the topic "I need Packet help"?  Or did I do something wrong in it; if I did do somthing wrong, then please tell me so that I wont repeat that mastake.
July 6, 2005, 4:18 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Tontow link=topic=12073.msg119184#msg119184 date=1120623482]
Ah, but:
[quote]Bringing your grievance to the forum is considered whining. Members of Valhalla Legends have complete discretion with respect to how they treat non-members. 
[/quote]

Where then, dose a non-member bring a grievance to?   Anwser: you don't, because

[quote]The members can screw with you any way they want. [/quote]

Therefor, there is nothing that I , a non-member, can do about it irregardless of the reasons or lack there of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now then;
Is there any objection to my reposting the topic "I need Packet help"?  Or did I do something wrong in it; if I did do somthing wrong, then please tell me so that I wont repeat that mastake.

[/quote]

"Irregardless" isn't a word.  "Irrespective" is.  But your usage of the non-word "irregardless" means the same in context as the real word "regardless."
July 6, 2005, 4:19 AM
Tontow
Actually, it is a word. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Irregardless
[quote]
Irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously
[/quote]

July 6, 2005, 4:31 AM
Kp
[quote author=Tontow link=topic=12073.msg119184#msg119184 date=1120623482]Ah, but:
[quote]Bringing your grievance to the forum is considered whining. Members of Valhalla Legends have complete discretion with respect to how they treat non-members.[/quote]Where then, dose a non-member bring a grievance to?  Anwser: you don't, because[/quote]

That was originally written with regard to usage of the battle.net channel operated by Valhalla Legends, where non-members never managed to come up with a legitimate grievance.  Here, there are legitimate ones such as "X is posting flames with no useful content" or "X is deliberately misleading people about Y."  However, complaining that your posts vanished usually isn't considered a legitimate grievance. :)

As a general rule, if you can figure out a nice and linguistically correct way to express a problem which you think a reasonable member will take seriously, you can try posting it.  If you're just complaining about a member's action, it's almost certainly not going to go over well.  As previously noted, the bot development forum is adminstered entirely by vL leaders and members.  Complaints about members were the main reason we wrote the rule you quoted: people would get banned from our channel (which is completely within its rules), then complain that they weren't doing anything wrong.
July 6, 2005, 4:38 AM
Myndfyr
OT:

[quote author=Tontow link=topic=12073.msg119188#msg119188 date=1120624315]
Actually, it is a word. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Irregardless
[quote]
Irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously
[/quote]
[/quote]
Same link:
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in [u]nonstandard speech[/u] or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an [u]improper yoking[/u] of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been [u]considered a blunder for decades[/u] and will probably continue to be so.
(Underlined emphasis my own).
July 6, 2005, 5:24 AM
Tontow
Re OT:
Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or [u]casual writing.[/u] Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. [u]Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone[/u] and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

I consider forums to be casual writeing; I didn't read anywhere that forum posts had to be in essay format. 
And even if it is considered a blunder, its still a word.  :P

Re Kp:
[quote]If you're just [u]complaining about a member's action, it's almost certainly not going to go over well. [/u]  As previously noted, the bot development forum is [u]adminstered entirely by vL leaders and members[/u].[/quote]

That is exactly the point; any action, such as editing or deleting a post, is still an action.  If you complain about that action, then it is "almost certainly not going to go over well" and be called whining.

July 6, 2005, 5:58 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
Definitions of irregardless on the Web:

* Do not use. The word is a mistaken fusion of irrespective and regardless.

* an erroneous redundancy for regardless.

* Irregardless is nonstandard. Use regardless instead.

* regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously

(links removed (they caused errors))

That aside, "Who keeps deleteing my posts?" is whining.  You should have posted something along these lines:
[quote]I have noticed that several of my posts/replies have been deleted, and I would like to know why so as not to repeat any offenses.  Thank you.[/quote]
July 6, 2005, 1:07 PM
Kp
[quote author=Tontow link=topic=12073.msg119201#msg119201 date=1120629523]That is exactly the point; any action, such as editing or deleting a post, is still an action.  If you complain about that action, then it is "almost certainly not going to go over well" and be called whining.[/quote]

Fine, then stop complaining and learn to live with it.  My point was that non-deleted posts are fair game for comment (particularly if they're nothing but a flame).  You seem unwilling or unable to grasp the distinction, so just drop it, sit down, and shut up.
July 6, 2005, 11:21 PM
Archangel
*it smells like elitism*
July 7, 2005, 3:13 PM
shout
Omg let this garbage die.
July 7, 2005, 3:20 PM

Search