Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | An interesting twist in b.net chatting...

AuthorMessageTime
Lenny
It's been a little project I had spent my spare time on...
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~madc0w/ServlerBot/ServlerBot.html

100% Server Driven (Servlet, java's equivalent to PHP, CGI, ASP)
0% BNLS (Binary Connection)

SourceCode:
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~madc0w/ServlerBot/

*Note that a stream is possible, but the capability depends on the server which hosts the servlet.  In this case, the server does not support this ability.

It was a small project designed to show an interesting implementation of my core classes for a connection to battle.net via legacy clients (BNCC - Battle.net Connection Core).  
July 4, 2005, 5:47 AM
Lenny
The connection time is determined by the servlet container which varies tremendously.  A connection may last from a few minutes to a few days depending on when the server decides to restart the container...

However, everytime a page is requested a servlet container will exist.  If the servlet container needs to be recreated, a new instance of the servlet will be initialized.  This will result in a new connection to Battle.net.
July 4, 2005, 8:42 AM
### Teh Gnube ###
Wow... That is genuinly neat. Chatting remotely to Battle.net, through a website... I like that idea. I like that a lot. With the correct applications, this could probably help many hangout channels to hold 24/7 channel moderation... Maybe. I don't know, but that's a very nice application, right on.
July 4, 2005, 7:59 PM
Lenny
With so many proposals/requests of a way to reach Battle.net on mobile devices, it seemed like something many would find worthwhile.

It also might take away the hassle for Webbot requests/request handling.  All you need is a host which supports servlets (google.com).
July 4, 2005, 8:33 PM
KkBlazekK
Could you make it a zip? I'd like to host one. :P
July 4, 2005, 8:40 PM
### Teh Gnube ###
I would too. =D
July 4, 2005, 8:48 PM
KkBlazekK
After four minutes of draging and dropping clicking and renaming I go this:

http://blazenet.servebeer.com/site/BNCSApplet.zip
July 4, 2005, 8:51 PM
Lenny
Note, it's not an applet, its a servlet.  Applets run locally, servlets run remotely...

To host one, you'll need a server which supports servlets.  AFAIK, the most popular http server which supports servlets is Apache Tomcat.

As far as setting it up, it really depends on how the server is setup.
July 4, 2005, 8:58 PM
Mephisto
Do I have to compile this to use it?  Can't you just give us the compiled format ..
July 8, 2005, 5:42 AM
Lenny
At the moment, the source is specific for that server.  One unfortunate aspect of servlets is that many servers which support servlets have their own specific requirements for running servlets.

But at the moment I am working on making a version which is as portable as possible. 
July 8, 2005, 6:02 AM
Lenny
Another twist:  ;D

Generated images of Bnet chat. 
(See my signature)
If you want to give it a test, simply do a '/whois Servler' @ USEast and chat in the channel Servler is currently in.  The last chat msg will be displayed in my signature.

At the moment, much of the code of ServlerBot.java is sloppy/hardcoded.  The original intentions of the project had been to show an example use of my BNCC package.  But if enough are interested, I could continue on with the ServlerBot project.
July 8, 2005, 6:56 AM
Newby
Awesome. :)
July 8, 2005, 8:17 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=12062.msg119608#msg119608 date=1120802558]
At the moment, the source is specific for that server.  One unfortunate aspect of servlets is that many servers which support servlets have their own specific requirements for running servlets.

But at the moment I am working on making a version which is as portable as possible. 
[/quote]

So basically you're telling me that I can't use this because you haven't made it portable to other systems nor made it usable by only giving us the source ...
July 8, 2005, 9:29 PM
Lenny
Well if you read the first post in the entire thread, the source is available.  In fact, those class files will ALWAYS be the files used by the server.

The reason the portability is questionable on other machines is because I have never tested this on any other server capable of running servlets.  If anyone minds adding the servlet ability to their server, it would be greatly appreciated if you provide me with some hosting.

The server which I'm presently using is a development server for servlets.  It has some slight differences than a normal server which has servlet support.  Thus, my source has to be modified to comply with these differences.

If anyone wishes to add servlet support to their server or already have hosting to a servlet supporting server, I would appreciate the help.

Also, if you need help adding such support, simply ask....
July 8, 2005, 10:10 PM
Kp
As a side note, I would highly advise that anyone who makes patches for this consider submitting them back in -D format (instead of the more common unified format used when reverting the change is considered extremely unlikely), so that the changes can be conditionally included/excluded, thereby allowing the same sources to build on both Lenny's development server and a more typical non-developer server.
July 9, 2005, 2:54 AM
Null
As a side nite, kp u need to get out more and concetrate less on trying to impress 13 year old kids on a forum mmk.

loser much?
July 9, 2005, 8:55 AM
DarkMinion
This has been done before
July 9, 2005, 2:41 PM
Mephisto
why hasn't he been banned yet?
July 9, 2005, 3:48 PM
Lenny
[quote author=DarkMinion link=topic=12062.msg119812#msg119812 date=1120920092]
This has been done before
[/quote]