Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Random Windows Problem

AuthorMessageTime
deadly7
Ok. So today I was deleting a file (Fuunni.exe) because it was virused. I did so in safe mode. After I Rebooted, NONE OF MY WIDNOWS THINGS WORK.
I cannot use the internet. I do not get any audio. I cannot get a windows skin. Trend Micro does not work.

Help, PLEASE.

Note, if you're going to suggest formatting or installing linux, please don't.
July 3, 2005, 10:47 PM
Kp
Reinstall over the existing image (does not require formatting, though that generally is a good idea when Windows is involved!).  Alternately, perhaps you could tell us a bit more about the problem.  For instance, what does work?  Is the system even bootable?  Are you able to access the CD drive once the system is up?
July 3, 2005, 11:08 PM
Myndfyr
Use Recovery Console to restore an older version of the registry.  If that is not accessible, try to import this:

http://www.jinxbot.net/pub/hkcr_exefile.reg.0 -- rename this to hckr_exefile.reg (chop off the .0).
(if that doesn't work, use the zip file -- I'm not sure if my host will let you get a .reg file).

I've seen virii that overwrite that setting so that you have to run them any time you run an application (it's a propagation method).  Import this and restart your computer -- you should be good to go.
July 3, 2005, 11:40 PM
deadly7
[quote author=Kp link=topic=12058.msg118688#msg118688 date=1120432124]
Reinstall over the existing image (does not require formatting, though that generally is a good idea when Windows is involved!).  Alternately, perhaps you could tell us a bit more about the problem.  For instance, what does work?  Is the system even bootable?  Are you able to access the CD drive once the system is up?
[/quote]

Well, a Windows reinstall would mean I'd have to find CD's for all of my hardware, which I assure you is quite impossible.

Everything but: Internet, Windows Styles, Sound, work fine as far as I know.
I am pretty sure I can access my CD Drive.

Myndfyre, mind telling me how to use "Recovery Console" (ie: Where is it?) and what that file does?

Edit

Everything is basically like it would be in SAFE MODE with no networking options enabled.
July 4, 2005, 12:34 AM
Kp
Recovery Console is a stripped down NT kernel that looks vaguely DOS-ish, but is even more braindamaged than true DOS in many ways.  It's primarily used for when you've managed to screw up a Windows system so thoroughly that you cannot even load the GUI, though it's also useful if something has managed to infect safe mode (since RC loads even fewer things than safe mode).  You can get it from your Windows CD.
July 4, 2005, 12:53 AM
Networks
I am more curious on how this even happened to deadly7.
July 4, 2005, 2:21 AM
deadly7
[quote author=Kp link=topic=12058.msg118707#msg118707 date=1120438429]
Recovery Console is a stripped down NT kernel that looks vaguely DOS-ish, but is even more braindamaged than true DOS in many ways.  It's primarily used for when you've managed to screw up a Windows system so thoroughly that you cannot even load the GUI, though it's also useful if something has managed to infect safe mode (since RC loads even fewer things than safe mode).  You can get it from your Windows CD.
[/quote]

All right. Which registry keys does it edit over?

@Networks: I don't know... It confuses me too. One minute I'm running regular XP, the next I boot into safe mode, delete fuunni.exe, hhjapr.exe, rrka.exe (all Adware* not virused files, sorry) and reboot into regular windows, and boom.
July 4, 2005, 3:57 AM
Kp
[quote author=deadly7 link=topic=12058.msg118744#msg118744 date=1120449452][quote author=Kp link=topic=12058.msg118707#msg118707 date=1120438429]Recovery Console is a stripped down NT kernel that looks vaguely DOS-ish, but is even more braindamaged than true DOS in many ways.  It's primarily used for when you've managed to screw up a Windows system so thoroughly that you cannot even load the GUI, though it's also useful if something has managed to infect safe mode (since RC loads even fewer things than safe mode).  You can get it from your Windows CD.[/quote]All right. Which registry keys does it edit over?[/quote]

Recovery Console doesn't edit any registry keys, nor have I advocated doing so at any point in this thread.  Perhaps you quoted the wrong person?

If you're referring to Myndfyre's .reg file, the easiest (and most reliable) answer would come from opening it up in an editor and checking it yourself.

[quote author=deadly7 link=topic=12058.msg118744#msg118744 date=1120449452]reboot into regular windows, and boom.[/quote]

Isn't that how all Windows systems work? ;)
July 4, 2005, 4:50 AM
deadly7
Whoops yeah, sorry Kp.

Meant to quote this:

[quote] Use Recovery Console to restore an older version of the registry.  If that is not accessible, try to import this:[/quote]
What is this "Older Version of the Registry"? Is it like the thing that pops up saying "Last Known Working Configuration" when you hit F8 during load (turn on, wait for computer to beep, hit F8, pick which mode to use)? If it is, I've already tried that and it doesn't work.
July 4, 2005, 4:14 PM
deadly7
Never mind. Brother reformatted C:\. Now it just doesn't pick up my other three hard drives.
Damn-nation!

It works! :)
July 4, 2005, 8:33 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=deadly7 link=topic=12058.msg118744#msg118744 date=1120449452]
All right. Which registry keys does it edit over?
[/quote]

For the record, that registry key is a non-infected version of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile and its subtree -- hence being named HKCR_exefile.reg.  :P
July 5, 2005, 1:34 AM

Search