Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | College Orientation

AuthorMessageTime
bethra
It was gosu... lol.  There is a 5:1 Girl:Guy ratio!  It rox!  And A LOT of the girls there are HAWT!

I'm going to Longwood University, a small in-state Virginia public university.

I was slacker in Highschool...  I could have applied myself more and recieved scholarships and gone to some top VA school or out-of-state institution... but I didn't.

I only applied to one college and that was Longwood.  I applied for early action which is basically sending in your application and essays in December instead of March to be processed.  Only select students who meet their criteria get picked and the rest who applied for early action get queued for the March one.

I felt a huge relief when I got accepted and therefore didn't apply to any other colleges... laziness is a virtue... kekeke

Any how, it was a nice Orientation.  It is a small University with only about 4000 students.  It was originally an all girls college for teachers.

The reason why I picked it was because of its statistical information... such as

- 90% of undergrads are employed after graduation
- EVERYONE is required to have an internship.  Faculty and staff will go way out of their way to help you find one.
- Computer Science majors have no problem getting an internship and land jobs easily after graduation.

In October when I went to Open House I talked with the head professor of the computer science department and he said most of the recent internships have been with government organizations and companies like the National Security Agency (NSA) and Northrop Grumman.  My dad also works with a guy who has a son who was a CS Major at Longwood and now works with the NSA and makes 80k a year.

I liked Longwood.  Small campus in a small town.  Great prices.  Friendly staff and faculty willing to go out of their way to help you.

I learned that they even get the textbooks for your first semester courses and put them in a box for you to pick up when you move in... they try to find used ones for you first.  (Used textbooks cost 25% less than new ones)

I also learned that students can be a Residential Technology Assistant (RTA).  RTAs bascially help other students with their computer problems like spyware, viruses, hardware problems, etc.  RTAs get their your own room and are assigned to a specific dormitory to assist students at almost anytime.  They are like always On Call and can be summoned to help someone even at midnight and on the weekends.  One  of the major cool benefits of being an RTA is that you get FREE Room and Board for each semester you are one.  You just need to have a 2.5 GPA and meet some other small requirements to be one!

I spoke with the lady in charge of the program and got an application for being an RTA.  I'm not eligible for this fall but next semester in the Spring I'll be able to be one.  My mom and dad said it was best to go talk with her first thing at orientation and "get your name out and put a face to the name" because it is better... for some reason...

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this fall.  I can't wait.  There are going to be like only two girls from my High school going there that I know of... one was in the Key Club with me so that is good to know.

I get to start all over again.  Fresh new start.  No quiet nerd kid from High School.

EDIT:  Its not best place in the world, and I'm wasn't the best student in HS, but I'm pleased with where I'm going.

So what schools you guys go to?
June 29, 2005, 1:30 AM
hismajesty
I've gotten some stuff from Longwood, be sure to keep us (or at least me) posted on how you like it after the year starts. I'm looking for a safety school other than ODU or TCC.
June 29, 2005, 1:35 AM
CrAz3D
So you're gonna be a loud drunken none-nerdy kid?  Sounds fun!
June 29, 2005, 4:51 AM
warz
I go to Texas Tech. I drink. I learn sometimes.
July 1, 2005, 4:06 AM
peofeoknight
I am going to be the only kid not drinking at AU it seems, lol. I am sXe... I don't think I am going to be popular.
July 1, 2005, 4:57 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=12019.msg118315#msg118315 date=1120193861]
I am going to be the only kid not drinking at AU it seems, lol. I am sXe... I don't think I am going to be popular.
[/quote]You don't drink?...not even ocassionally/socially?
July 1, 2005, 5:55 AM
DrivE
When you say things like "Gosu" to describe something, that 5:1 :: Male:Female ration means precisely dick.
July 1, 2005, 12:24 PM
hismajesty
sXe? sexy?

Edit: Oh, straight edge.
July 1, 2005, 12:33 PM
Nabeshin
College life is great.  Had a week long seminar (can't remember what about) at UW-Whitewater the beginning of the month (only went because I got to live away from home for a while with an awesome school laptop).  Thought it would have been a sausage fest, but almost every girl there was beautiful, and there was about a 1:1 ratio.  It was great, free food, free internet (required a bit of hacking), lounging, Pump-It-Up (crappy rip-off of DDR), sleeping in presetations, getting 4 hours of sleep, loads of pizza at 1:30 in the morning, and did I mention hot girls?  Can't wait 'till college, will be a million times better than High School in a small farm town.  Too bad no girls were allowed in the guys dorm :'(.
July 1, 2005, 1:59 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=12019.msg118337#msg118337 date=1120220665]
When you say things like "Gosu" to describe something, that 5:1 :: Male:Female ration means precisely dick.
[/quote]sorc said girl:guy was 5:1
July 1, 2005, 5:02 PM
hismajesty
Whatever, CrAz3D, that's not what Hazard was talking about. He's saying that someone who uses the word "gosu" to describe something isn't going to get a date no matter the odds.

Unless maybe if he went to Hampden-Sydney, it's a big all-guys school in the south. Playboy voted it the #1 place to get laid.
July 1, 2005, 5:51 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=12019.msg118321#msg118321 date=1120197356]
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=12019.msg118315#msg118315 date=1120193861]
[/quote]You don't drink?...not even ocassionally/socially?
[/quote] Nope, but I used to. I have had vodka, wiskey, beer, everything really. I just never liked it. It isn't my thing. I used to drink before I was christian... and I am christian now which is a big part of why I am straight edge.
July 1, 2005, 6:36 PM
bethra
[quote author=Sorc.Polgara link=topic=12019.msg117994#msg117994 date=1120008628]
It was gosu... lol.  There is a 5:1 Girl:Guy ratio!  It rox!  And A LOT of the girls there are HAWT!
[/quote]

@Hazard

......huh..... why so hostile.... I said 5:1 Girl:Guy ratio... =\
July 2, 2005, 1:09 AM
hismajesty
Speaking of Longwood, I got more stuff in the mail from then today. Apparently, I'm Hired! :P

"You're Hired!

Whether you're going for a career in a Wall Street boardroom or a hometown classroom, you'll want to know that you'll be hired. Sure, you'll have solid grades and a resume filled with numerous leadership activities, but will you have the experience necessary to land taht first job?

Longwood graduates do."
July 2, 2005, 3:58 PM
bethra
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=12019.msg118504#msg118504 date=1120319882]
Speaking of Longwood, I got more stuff in the mail from then today. Apparently, I'm Hired! :P

"You're Hired!

Whether you're going for a career in a Wall Street boardroom or a hometown classroom, you'll want to know that you'll be hired. Sure, you'll have solid grades and a resume filled with numerous leadership activities, but will you have the experience necessary to land taht first job?

Longwood graduates do."

[/quote]

That is one of the MAIN REASONS I choose Longwood.  Because it has like a 90% Job rate after one graduates...  The main reason this happens is due to the fact the EVERYONE is required to have an INTERNSHIP.  They will go way out of their way to help you find one.  Like I said earlier, one of the recent internships for CS Majors has been with the National Security Agency.  Again, my dad's co-worker has a son that graduated from Longwood as a CS Major and now makes 80k a year working for the NSA!!!!
July 2, 2005, 9:17 PM

Search