Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | BnetDocs Research and Discussion | New Bnetdocs :x

AuthorMessageTime
PaiD
Hm. Someone else has decided to rip Arta's BnetDocs. But this is even worse
www.bnetdocs.com is the site
June 26, 2005, 3:30 AM
Quarantine
rofl@stolen name "Open BnetDocs"
June 26, 2005, 3:51 AM
darkxir
This is obviously a cele type stunt!
June 26, 2005, 4:13 AM
HdxBmx27
Eww, it's imcompleet. And it's a nasty setup!
Pages are formatted badly.
~-~(HDX)~-~
June 26, 2005, 5:33 AM
Fapiko
l0l Art, what a tardcake.

In my defense, I would like to point out a few things.  Everybody can complain about Microsoft monopolizing the PC market, well, I wish to complain about vL monopolizing the bnet market :p

Nah, not really.  It's more of the fact that vL seems to have ever increasing amounts of problems, so I figured I would create my own Wiki with the same stuff as bnetdocs.  Also, when I was starting out, I found that nobody wanted to teach me how to do a lot of stuff.  Of course they could easily rudely link me to hundreds of pages of bullshit to read, that really didn't teach me a whole lot of anything.  Lol, I'd prefer that rather than having to look at the source of tons of old bots that don't even work anymore, new developers be able to look at how each individual packet can be handled, which is something we're doing in OBD.  I would also like to make it clear that I am not taking credit for the name Open BnetDocs or BnetDocs, I am simply using it as a place to post what information Arta has, along with handling for packets as I get them put into my bot.

I am putting the information out there for the public to use, not for my benefit.  Please don't get angry with me because I wish to make things a little bit easier on people like myself.  I just want to offer a facet for newcomers to be able to see code snippets for Visual Basic, and how to handle packets.  As for the domain www.bnetdocs.com, well, I recently purchased hosting from pein servers and needed a domain for my new account, so it sounded like a good choice :p Easier than going to www.fapiko.com/openBnetDocs/tiki-index.php eh.

Anybody wishing to further flame me for attempting to help out the botdev community, my email = Fapiko AT Gmail DOT com, AIM = Fapiko, MSN = Fapiko AT Fapiko DOT Com, Yahoo = Fapiko.  Let the flames begin!
June 26, 2005, 6:11 AM
darkxir
[quote]Also, when I was starting out, I found that nobody wanted to teach me how to do a lot of stuff[/quote]
I suppose that's a problem when you obviously have no ambition to learn.
Now, I could go on and flame..but I wont, I'll stick to one attack per thread.
June 26, 2005, 6:25 AM
Arta
Thanks for pointing this site out to me. I will be taking the appropriate action.

I have no objection to other sites that exist to provide Battle.net documentation, but I strongly object to sites that simply steal my content and claim it as their own. BnetDocs represents a significant investment of my time and energies, and I did not undertake the task simply for others to rip it off. I also object to the name of the site being copied.
June 26, 2005, 7:56 AM
Fapiko
Nowhere did I claim the content as my own, and, may I add, you are being used by Art.  l0l Why else do you think he posted here other than to see a conflict?

Furthermore, if by appropriate action, you mean getting my website shut down, please note that my host has always backed me up in whatever content I wish to have on my website.  There is not much legal action you can take should you wish to get that serious, as I do not see any copyright information at all with regards to the BnetDocs name on your site.  I furthermore question why there is such a big deal being made of this, when there was previously an existing Open BnetDocs, on a PHP Wiki, which anybody could find by googling BnetDocs.  Please email me Arta, and I wish we can settle this peacefully.  My email is listed above.  I'll be on later today around 12:00 pm eastern time, drop me a message on aim.
June 26, 2005, 8:15 AM
Arta
[quote author=Fapiko link=topic=11978.msg117556#msg117556 date=1119773731]
Nowhere did I claim the content as my own, and, may I add, you are being used by Art.  l0l Why else do you think he posted here other than to see a conflict?
[/quote]

A claim of ownership is not necessary for use of material to be an infringement of copyright.

... as I do not see any copyright information at all with regards to the BnetDocs name on your site. 
[/quote]

A copyright notice is not necessary for a work to be copyrighted. The copyright exists as soon as something is recorded on a tangible medium.

I furthermore question why there is such a big deal being made of this, when there was previously an existing Open BnetDocs, on a PHP Wiki, which anybody could find by googling BnetDocs.
[/quote]

So far as I am aware, the site to which you refer has not simply copied the content present at bnetdocs.valhallalegends.com, and thus, I have no problem with it. Your site, however, contains numerous pages of information copied wholesale from bnetdocs.valhalalegends.com.

Please email me Arta, and I wish we can settle this peacefully.  My email is listed above.  I'll be on later today around 12:00 pm eastern time, drop me a message on aim.
[/quote]

I have emailed you.
June 26, 2005, 8:36 AM
QwertyMonster
ANOTHER BnetDocs. Whats wrong with Arta's? It looks fine to me.. :-\
June 26, 2005, 11:02 AM
tA-Kane
Some people seem to think that Arta's is either incomplete or not updated enough.

I don't know about you, but Arta's is the most complete and updated that I know of. Sure, some others might have *some* different information, but they usually don't contain much of anything else.
June 26, 2005, 12:13 PM
Topaz
I think some credit giving is in order! As well as intellectual copyright and work.
June 26, 2005, 1:11 PM
hismajesty
Nowhere did I claim the content as my own, and, may I add, you are being used by Art. l0l Why else do you think he posted here other than to see a conflict?

Furthermore, if by appropriate action, you mean getting my website shut down, please note that my host has always backed me up in whatever content I wish to have on my website. There is not much legal action you can take should you wish to get that serious, as I do not see any copyright information at all with regards to the BnetDocs name on your site. I furthermore question why there is such a big deal being made of this, when there was previously an existing Open BnetDocs, on a PHP Wiki, which anybody could find by googling BnetDocs. Please email me Arta, and I wish we can settle this peacefully. My email is listed above. I'll be on later today around 12:00 pm eastern time, drop me a message on aim.
[/quote]

Copyright laws protect the first person to come up with said Intellectual Property, regardless of whether or not he officially filed for a copyright. So, in this case, legal action could still be taken as long as Arta has proof that he had been using the bnetdocs name and content long before you had.
June 26, 2005, 2:20 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
The only thing filing for a copyright does (which is $80) is it grants the person who has the copyright reimbursement (sp?) in legal cases.  On top of that, not only does your Open BnetDocs suck, it's rediculously slow and has no menu, so every time you want to look up another packet you have to go back and wait 30 seconds for the menu to load.  Next, anyone can edit anything, so at any point anyone can add incorrect information.

Also, Arta legally holds the copyrights for many of the packet names, as they were not found in the libraries, and he made them up, so no matter what he can take action against you for that alone.  And finally, YOU HAVE NO INFORMATION ON ANYTHING USEFUL.  I fail to see how a lack of data can be helpful to you.  You must be weird.
June 26, 2005, 2:53 PM
Arta
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=11978.msg117583#msg117583 date=1119795605]
as long as Arta has proof that he had been using the bnetdocs name and content long before you had.
[/quote]

Which is terribly easy.
June 26, 2005, 3:00 PM
KkBlazekK
http://web.archive.org/web/20030201120847/www.valhallalegends.com/arta/bnetdocs/

Hah! Thats so cool.  Arta, take his site down!
June 26, 2005, 4:17 PM
UserLoser.
There was already an "OpenBnetDocs" by Camel, no?
June 26, 2005, 5:42 PM
QwertyMonster
Yes but i think its died. :P
June 26, 2005, 5:51 PM
Quarantine
Yea, Camel had a wiki of stuff he [s]invesitaged[/s] investigated.
June 26, 2005, 5:55 PM
Arta
Thanks to you all for your support. The site has been taken down now - it may come back up in some other form, but hopefully, that's something I won't object to.
June 26, 2005, 7:03 PM
QwertyMonster
How did you take it down? What did you do, it comes up with some password crap now :P Im curious on how you took it down, did you contact the people hosting him or something?
June 26, 2005, 7:07 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=[Unknown] link=topic=11978.msg117624#msg117624 date=1119812877]
How did you take it down? What did you do, it comes up with some password crap now :P Im curious on how you took it down, did you contact the people hosting him or something?
[/quote]
LOL Arta sent a DMCA takedown request!
June 26, 2005, 7:27 PM
UserLoser.
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=11978.msg117626#msg117626 date=1119814029]
[quote author=[Unknown] link=topic=11978.msg117624#msg117624 date=1119812877]
[/quote]
LOL Arta sent a DMCA takedown request!
[/quote]

Can I send you a DMCA takedown request? :P  What's so funny about it?
June 26, 2005, 7:38 PM
Ringo
I shoudlnt reply to this as its none of my bussiness, but i take it that Fapiko guy was for reall...
Copying and pasting infomation from one site to another, making out the original source of the infomation was not 'open', and by stealing it, felt your being helpfull in some way? (I persionaly call this helping your self)

Good job on getting it taken down arta.
June 26, 2005, 8:08 PM
Arta
Thanks.

Not a DMCA takedown, no. I'd have to think long and hard about that, considering that the DMCA is really quite horrible. The owner of the site took it down voluntarily at my request. He is also in the process of transferring bnetdocs.com to me, with appropriate reimbursement for his expenses.
June 26, 2005, 8:37 PM
shout
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=11978.msg117644#msg117644 date=1119818231]
The owner of the site took it down voluntarily at my request.
[/quote]

:D
June 26, 2005, 8:41 PM
QwertyMonster
Wow good job Arta. Everybody loves you so much they will do anything ;)

Keep up the good work on BnetDocs.
June 26, 2005, 9:06 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=UserLoser link=topic=11978.msg117631#msg117631 date=1119814721]
Can I send you a DMCA takedown request? :P  What's so funny about it?
[/quote]

It was a joke.  Part of it would have been the sheer irony, that Arta in the UK would fall under the protections of the DMCA.  That, and pretty much nobody here cares for the DMCA too much.  :P

You could send me a DMCA takedown request, or more accurately my web host(s), but you'd need to be able to prove that anything I had was your intellectual property.
June 26, 2005, 10:53 PM

Search