Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Javascript not working in IE

AuthorMessageTime
Networks
this week javascript popups stopped functioning in IE (although they still work on my system in Mozilla). By "stopped functioning" I mean nothing happens, no errors no nothing, it is as if the browser does not realize the link is there.

Attempted Solutions:
I've gone through making sure that IE doesn't have something disabled, e.g. tools>internet options>advanced, etc...
I don't have any issues with popup blockers, firewalls, etc...
I've done the start>run>driver stuff
Even went so far as to download Java from Sun and install even though I realize that Javascript has nothing to do with Java

I took this from another site but it's the same thing I've done :D EXACTLY! Please help. I click on a link that involves Javascript and a pop up is supposed to pop up but the screen just flashes a few times and nothing happens. I've checked all outside popup blockers and firewalls etc etc.
June 21, 2005, 11:52 PM
Yegg
Did you check to make sure the code first works in other browsers?
June 22, 2005, 12:36 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=11915.msg116794#msg116794 date=1119400587]
Did you check to make sure the code first works in other browsers?
[/quote]

[quote author=Networks link=topic=11915.msg116789#msg116789 date=1119397975]
this week javascript popups stopped functioning in IE (although they still work on my system in Mozilla).
[/quote]
June 22, 2005, 12:37 AM
Yegg
Whoops. Didn't notice that.
June 22, 2005, 1:46 AM
Kp
[quote author=Networks link=topic=11915.msg116789#msg116789 date=1119397975]
this week javascript popups stopped functioning in IE (although they still work on my system in Mozilla).[/quote]

So why's this a problem? :)  Really, you shouldn't be using IE on the open Internet.
June 22, 2005, 2:23 AM
Networks
One of my the sites my mom uses for her realty only can use Internet Explorer. www.armls.com is the site and it uses some various Javascripting. I have to get this fixed otherwise I am going to have to be forced into a reformat.  ::) Any help is appreciated. One site I can't get to work for instance that won't work is aim.com -> aim express. You press start and no window will popup. This also uses Javascript, so I assuming if I can get this page to work I can get any page on the other site as well. Any help is appreciated. My only solution is reinstall SP2 so that it may hopefully reinstall Java because it will reinstall Explorer. If not that, then I must reformat.
June 22, 2005, 2:59 PM
Kp
Although more trouble, it seems like it'd be a much wiser course of action to fix the broken website than to try to re-enable scripting in such a dangerous browser.  It speaks quite poorly of a web designer who creates a site which cannot be rendered on a stable OS.
June 23, 2005, 1:54 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Kp link=topic=11915.msg116959#msg116959 date=1119491682]
Although more trouble, it seems like it'd be a much wiser course of action to fix the broken website than to try to re-enable scripting in such a dangerous browser.  It speaks quite poorly of a web designer who creates a site which cannot be rendered on a stable OS.
[/quote]

Well, I know a lot of realtors, and not one of them knows how to use Linux.  So it's another case of targetting the customer instead of principle.
June 23, 2005, 3:42 AM
Kp
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=11915.msg116969#msg116969 date=1119498146][quote author=Kp link=topic=11915.msg116959#msg116959 date=1119491682]Although more trouble, it seems like it'd be a much wiser course of action to fix the broken website than to try to re-enable scripting in such a dangerous browser.  It speaks quite poorly of a web designer who creates a site which cannot be rendered on a stable OS.[/quote]Well, I know a lot of realtors, and not one of them knows how to use Linux.  So it's another case of targetting the customer instead of principle.[/quote]

Actually, I was speaking more generally. :)  Do any of them use Macintosh based systems?  Also, it was originally ambiguous whether the incompetently designed website was intended solely for use by the realtors, or if the general house-buying public would also be subjected to it.  If the designer is only inflicting it upon realtors and your generalization is correct, it's not worth fixing.
June 23, 2005, 3:48 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Kp link=topic=11915.msg116972#msg116972 date=1119498494]
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=11915.msg116969#msg116969 date=1119498146][quote author=Kp link=topic=11915.msg116959#msg116959 date=1119491682]Although more trouble, it seems like it'd be a much wiser course of action to fix the broken website than to try to re-enable scripting in such a dangerous browser.  It speaks quite poorly of a web designer who creates a site which cannot be rendered on a stable OS.[/quote]Well, I know a lot of realtors, and not one of them knows how to use Linux.  So it's another case of targetting the customer instead of principle.[/quote]

Actually, I was speaking more generally. :)  Do any of them use Macintosh based systems?  Also, it was originally ambiguous whether the incompetently designed website was intended solely for use by the realtors, or if the general house-buying public would also be subjected to it.  If the designer is only inflicting it upon realtors and your generalization is correct, it's not worth fixing.
[/quote]

There are a lot of websites better suited to use by the general public (like www.realtor.com) than the ARMLS website.  ARMLS is required for Arizona realtors to update listings in the Multiple Listing Service, which is then used by the other websites via server-to-server communication.

Mac users can use IE for Mac.  :P
June 23, 2005, 4:21 AM
Networks
None of that solves my problem -.-
June 23, 2005, 4:15 PM
Myndfyr
What version of IE do you have?  6.0 SP1?  SP2?

If SP2:

Check Tools->Popup Blocker... to make sure www.armls.com and armls.marketlinx.com are allowed sites.
Check Tools->Manage Add-ons... to make sure that you don't have some 3rd-party spyware or something installed that could be blocking it.  The entirety of my "Add-ons that have been used in Internet Explorer" is this:
AcroIEHlprObj Class
AcroIEToolbarHelper Class
Adobe PDF
Create Mobile Favorite
Create Mobile Favorite...
HTML Document
IETag Factory
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_01
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_01
QuickTime Object
Research
Shockwave Flash Object
Video__X_MS_ASF Moniker Class
VIDEO__X_MS_WMV Moniker Class
Web Browser Applet Control
Windows Media Services DRM Storage Object
Windows Messenger
WUWebControl Class

Check your Tools->Internet Options... for the following settings:
Under "Security," choose "Custom Level."  Scroll to near the bottom, and under the "Active Scripting" heading, verify that "Prompt" or "Enabled" is chosen.

At any rate, that's the best I could suggest.  HTH!
June 23, 2005, 4:43 PM
Networks
I've done most of that except the addon thing, I followed that and still nothing occurs.
June 23, 2005, 5:37 PM
Mangix
why not use another browser with ActiveX support? Netscape perhaps?
June 23, 2005, 8:17 PM
Networks
[quote author=Mangix link=topic=11915.msg117073#msg117073 date=1119557875]
why not use another browser with ActiveX support? Netscape perhaps?
[/quote]

The site only seems to want to work using IE and IE only.
June 23, 2005, 8:20 PM
Mangix
Netscape uses the IE engine or w/e you want to call it. basically netscape lets you chose how you want to view the page. through IE or firefox. my guess is that this website identifies the browser through the User-Agent and i think netscape changes it to IE. hmmmm let me check.

edit:yeah the user agent with Netscape was [code]Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [/code]
June 23, 2005, 8:22 PM
Networks
[quote author=Mangix link=topic=11915.msg117076#msg117076 date=1119558121]
Netscape uses the IE engine or w/e you want to call it. basically netscape lets you chose how you want to view the page. through IE or firefox. my guess is that this website identifies the browser through the User-Agent and i think netscape changes it to IE. hmmmm let me check.

edit:yeah the user agent with Netscape was [code]Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [/code]
[/quote]

I'll try it as an alternate, if it works thank you, if not grr!

Edit: It worked :) Netscape > FireFox > IE
June 23, 2005, 9:54 PM
Kp
Actually, Netscape < IE < Firefox, because it's branded like it would give you the security of the Mozilla codebase, but it actually uses the horrible IE rendering engine.
June 24, 2005, 1:40 AM
Mangix
it accually lets you chose which browser system to use for each page. for instance you can set to view a specific website with IE and all other ones with firefox. on another note, ActiveX on Netscape can only be used if enabled which is some security i guess.

also note that IE and firefox parse (X)HTML diffrently soooo if anyone were to develop websites, Netscape would be a good tool as you can see the results in both browsers :).

heres an example of how it parses it diffrently. on IE, if it sees a tag like [code]<hr class="color" />[/code] and if the class color containted "color:red" then it would show the line as red. firefox however doesnt do this. also dont mind the invalid CSS.
June 24, 2005, 8:00 AM
Networks
I don't know but Netscape is exactly like FireFox + more. Has everything I need or wanted. I haven't seen many Vunerabilities about Netscape either on BugTraq. They must be doing something right.
June 24, 2005, 4:13 PM
Mangix
lol dl some extensions for netscape. it uses the same extension system as firefox :).
June 24, 2005, 6:38 PM
Kp
[quote author=Mangix link=topic=11915.msg117215#msg117215 date=1119600010]it accually lets you chose which browser system to use for each page. for instance you can set to view a specific website with IE and all other ones with firefox. on another note, ActiveX on Netscape can only be used if enabled which is some security i guess.[/quote]

Yes, but IIRC, it defaults to using the IE rendering engine, which is stupid and dangerous if they're going to tout its Firefox roots.  ActiveX cannot be used at all on safe browsers, which is better security. :)

[quote author=Mangix link=topic=11915.msg117215#msg117215 date=1119600010]also note that IE and firefox parse (X)HTML diffrently soooo if anyone were to develop websites, Netscape would be a good tool as you can see the results in both browsers :).[/quote]

Actually, you're probably better off going straight to the source and using IE + Firefox separately, to ensure that you aren't misled by any changes Netscape may have made to the rendering method.  I don't know if they have done so, but it's certainly possible.

[quote author=Networks link=topic=11915.msg117255#msg117255 date=1119629611]I don't know but Netscape is exactly like FireFox + more. Has everything I need or wanted. I haven't seen many Vunerabilities about Netscape either on BugTraq. They must be doing something right.[/quote]

Yes.  So much more that it's huge compared to Firefox, despite being essentially Firefox + an interface to use the IE rendering engine.  My understanding is that Netscape simply inherits the vulnerabilities of whatever engine you're using to view a particular page, so it'll be little better than IE when you use the IE rendering engine.  Similarly, it'll have any Firefox problems if you use the Gecko engine, but aside from Netscape/AOL's impressive screwup in releasing Netscape 8.0 based off Firefox 1.03 (after Firefox 1.04 had been out for days), that hasn't been too much of a problem yet.  To further their discredit, Netscape then managed to release a build based on Firefox 1.04 the next day, which caused many to ask why Netscape didn't simply wait the extra day to let 8.0 be based off Firefox 1.04.
June 24, 2005, 11:15 PM

Search