Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Realistic trade-in value

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D

I'm thinkin about going to UT for school & was thinking of trading my truck if I did (I assume I'd be driving more there because the city is much bigger than where I am).

Nothing is for sure but I got bored & looked @ the Trade-In value on KBB.com of my truck & it came up with $22,400 which suprised me.

Now, is there any chance in heck that I might get that kind of cash for my truck? If so I think I may go trade tomorrow! (j/k...maybe)
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Truck is:
2004 F150, XLT, SuperCab, 6.5' bed, oversize tires, single disc CD player, cruise control, power windows/locks, 4wd, 4.6l V8
June 20, 2005, 5:21 PM
hismajesty
Trade in and buy a mini cooper. Except for them using premium fuel, they own. I testdrove (or test-rode?) one a few years ago with my grandpa, since we both liked them. That's the only reason he had for not getting one - they don't use regular fuel.  It's a fun ride, and they're a lot larger inside than you'd think. Just make sure not to get hit by whoever buys your trade-in truck!

Good MPG though. :P
June 20, 2005, 5:27 PM
CrAz3D
I'm thinkin of a Accord coupe.  Used/Certified pre-owned so I can get more options for less cash.

Still not totally sure when/if I'll be headed to UT for school but now that I keep thinkin about it I HAVE to go to law school somewhere & even the instate one would require much dirivng for me (stupid big cities & such)
June 20, 2005, 5:35 PM
hismajesty
You have another 3 years before law school.
June 20, 2005, 6:08 PM
CrAz3D

But if I trade my vehicle I want to be able to get the most $ out of it :( poor truck.

Also, that guy I talked to in Austin said he could get me into UT for undergrad with scholarships (so long as I work & have a currently good GPA).
June 20, 2005, 6:23 PM
peofeoknight
Kelly Blue Books is not what a dealer will give you. That is what a dealer will try to charge, they will not even get that. Blue book is inflated. However, pickup trucks hold their value far better than cars. I would go with black book value, it is a more realistic number, atleast that is what the dealer will probably get for your truck.

Might I suggest a buick lesabre? :P The 3800 seriese II (3.8 liter v6) is a very good engine, very relibale, great fule economy. Plus the chicks, they go nutts about buicks lol. That ladys here are all up ons.

My thoughts about toyota and honda: Their cars are good, but they have such a good name these days that they hold their value too well. Mazda and some others make good cars as well, but their parts networks are not as good as toyota or honda, so repair costs for them would be more. I would pick from the big 3 domestics personally.
June 20, 2005, 7:25 PM
warz
First, good luck getting into UT law school. Second, Austin is a very packed, congested city. You won't drive a whole lot @ UT. My friend said his car stayed parked for a semester straight his freshman year. Think twice before messing with getting rid of your car - besides, in TX trucks are the cool car to have. :-P
June 20, 2005, 9:26 PM
CrAz3D
What is 'black book' & how might I find it?
What I find on Google costs $ :(

Buick is nice, but I'd like something 'younger'.

To get into UT Law you need a 2.2 GPA & have taken the LSAT.  The median of students that enter have a 3.6 & a 162 on their LSAT.  7% of the people that apply make it in.  Now, assuming I don't screw up as an undergrad & I get this letter of recommendation I should get in.  This guy has "gotten people into UTA Law that didn't need to be there" said my cousin.

As for the car thing, I really don't know.  Gas is $2 a gallon, I get 15mpg, I'd HAVE to drive to get to work & such (where I work who knows).
June 20, 2005, 9:49 PM
NocBrute
ah... im thinking.... sell the car for 22.4k or w/e that amount was. get yourself a little ride to an auction ( car-auction duh ) buy a car for 5k-10k ( you can get BMW/Mercedes all those bs shits for around 6k ). Take that other 5k hook up the char. have al il vacation for 2k and then!!!! you can either save 3.4k orrrr increase ur vacation lol :)
June 20, 2005, 10:02 PM
warz
UTA? As in, UT Arlington? I don't think those schools are on the same level.
June 20, 2005, 10:03 PM
CrAz3D
University of Texas at Austin
June 20, 2005, 10:10 PM
warz
UT in Austin is commonly refered to simply as UT. UTA == UT @ Arlington. :-P
June 20, 2005, 10:30 PM
CrAz3D
I've heard both for Austin
June 20, 2005, 10:33 PM
peofeoknight
http://www.blackbookusa.com/
That is the website for black book. We have an actual copy of the book but it is out dated. It is not as popular as blue book, but it gives a more accurate value.
June 20, 2005, 11:05 PM
CrAz3D
hmmz

2004 FORD F150 SUPERCAB 4WD
$17,360 - $20,720
June 20, 2005, 11:30 PM
laurion
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=11907.msg116648#msg116648 date=1119288445]
Trade in and buy a mini cooper. Except for them using premium fuel, they own. I testdrove (or test-rode?) one a few years ago with my grandpa, since we both liked them. That's the only reason he had for not getting one - they don't use regular fuel.  It's a fun ride, and they're a lot larger inside than you'd think. Just make sure not to get hit by whoever buys your trade-in truck!

Good MPG though. :P
[/quote]
Premium fuel...
its $2.39 here  :o I think if you bought a mini cooper, youd end up paying what you did for your truck with the gas prices..

btw: $2.19 for unleaded. goddamn iraqians
June 21, 2005, 2:20 AM
CrAz3D
Uhm....I think a Mini would get double the mileage my truck gets  SO.... $2.38 or w/e isn't double $2.12 so it'd be quite cheaper
June 21, 2005, 3:01 AM
UserLoser.
22k?  Wow.  Since you're a domestic kind of guy, sell it and buy a brand new Dodge SRT4.  You'll still have some money left over, too
June 21, 2005, 3:47 AM
Forged
I think to a dealer somewhere around 13k - 16k would be much more likelly than 22k
June 21, 2005, 4:09 AM
CrAz3D
SRT-4 (or w/e) might be nice...but who said I was domestic?  I was leanin Honda if I do trade in.
EDIT:
PLUS, since Dodge is owned by Chrysler & Chrysler by Mercedes, the SRT-4 would be a semi-import wouldn't it?
June 21, 2005, 6:29 AM
UserLoser.
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=11907.msg116733#msg116733 date=1119335363]
SRT-4 (or w/e) might be nice...but who said I was domestic?  I was leanin Honda if I do trade in.
EDIT:
PLUS, since Dodge is owned by Chrysler & Chrysler by Mercedes, the SRT-4 would be a semi-import wouldn't it?
[/quote]

Meh, then go for a S2000 or RSX Type S :p
June 21, 2005, 8:40 AM
Forged
He is an 18 year old male.  Insurance would be more than the monthlly payment on an s2000....
June 21, 2005, 3:37 PM
CrAz3D
Word to that, although there would no monthly payment.

The most sporty I'd want to go is like an Accord coupe.
June 21, 2005, 3:40 PM

Search