Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | B.NET Bot on Cell phone?

AuthorMessageTime
bethra
Would it be hard?  I'm curious as to what language would be best suited...
June 19, 2005, 9:25 AM
LockesRabb
I'm not sure what language would be best suited for developing programs for a cell phone, but I definitely can tell you that without an ACTIVE internet connection, it isn't possible to develop a working bot for cell phones.

You see, most cell phones handle internet sites or email messages via short radio/satellite bursts sent to the server, which in turns acts like a relay- meaning it will connect to the server via radio or satellite depending on the type of transponder- the server is the one that maintains the internet connection, not the phone. So the cell phone requests a website, which makes the server request it, then the server translates the webpage into radio/satellite signals and sends it to the cell phone.

In other words, the cell phone was never connected to the internet-- it was connected to the server which in turn was connected to the internet. The server would have to be the one that opens the port. Unless you had direct physical access to the server, I don't think there's a way the cell phone can tell the server to open a port, *AND* also relay messages to/from battle.net to your cell (for packets).

If you're asking about doing CHAT bots, again, that requires a telnet connection from the server to battle.net. The program'd have to be based on the server.

But then, I could be wrong since I don't know that much about the mobile telecommunications protocol, and I don't know anything about developing programs for cell phones. I just know that it's the server, not the cell, that maintains the internet connection, that the server acts as relay for all incoming and outgoing requests.
June 19, 2005, 1:18 PM
Yegg
No, it's not hard to create a battle.net bot for a cell (or mobile) phone. My friend at school (Option, incase anyone remembers him from Battle.net) suggested I try and do so. I noticed that all his cell phone programs were written in Java. And I didn't want to waste my time learning Java to make a cell phone bot. So I found MobileBasic. It was on download.com. MobileBasic has the same coding syntax as regular BASIC. But MobileBasic supports TCP/IP (or some kind of IP), networking, and more interesting features. I decided not to create a cell phone bot, maybe at a later time I will once again continue it. But MobileBasic is designed for mobile phone programming. It has something that works with Java to create stand alone applications that run on cell phones. You should check it out. Or simply do this in Java, if you already know the language.
June 19, 2005, 3:26 PM
bethra
[quote author=Yegg link=topic=11893.msg116509#msg116509 date=1119194790]
No, it's not hard to create a battle.net bot for a cell (or mobile) phone. My friend at school (Option, incase anyone remembers him from Battle.net) suggested I try and do so. I noticed that all his cell phone programs were written in Java. And I didn't want to waste my time learning Java to make a cell phone bot. So I found MobileBasic. It was on download.com. MobileBasic has the same coding syntax as regular BASIC. But MobileBasic supports TCP/IP (or some kind of IP), networking, and more interesting features. I decided not to create a cell phone bot, maybe at a later time I will once again continue it. But MobileBasic is designed for mobile phone programming. It has something that works with Java to create stand alone applications that run on cell phones. You should check it out. Or simply do this in Java, if you already know the language.
[/quote]

Hokay sweet.  I'll look into it.  My parents will be getting me a Cell phone when I go off to college this fall and I thought that it might be neat to make a bot for my cell phone considering I don't have many peoples phone numbers to call =\

I learned some Java in my AP Comp Sci class but I think I would need a lot more background in it to know how to use it with moblie devices.
June 19, 2005, 9:07 PM
Myndfyr
If you have Windows Mobile and the .NET Compact Framework my bot's DLL would work fine.
June 19, 2005, 9:31 PM
K
You could probably port JavaOp to the Java 2 Micro Edition platform, which many mobile phones support.
June 19, 2005, 10:20 PM
Explicit[nK]
You would still run into the issue of maintaining an active connection to Battle.net.
June 19, 2005, 11:18 PM
Yegg
So an easy way to making this bot would be to simply use MyndFyre's DLL. I would just go with that unless you want to have the full experience of doing the job on your own.
June 19, 2005, 11:20 PM
bethra
Ok... so what is Mynd's DLL exactly?  Windows Mobile would be the OS installed on the phone I would have to be programming it for right?  And the Java 2 Micro Edition platform would be installed on the phone also?
June 21, 2005, 2:53 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Sorc.Polgara link=topic=11893.msg116715#msg116715 date=1119322391]
Ok... so what is Mynd's DLL exactly?  Windows Mobile would be the OS installed on the phone I would have to be programming it for right?  And the Java 2 Micro Edition platform would be installed on the phone also?
[/quote]

No, the .NET Compact Framework would be installed.  I'd have to dig around to find a good version of the DLL...

I don't have one on this computer atm.  I'll have to hunt around my laptop.  I'll do that later.

You might be able to get it at [url]http://www.armabot.net/builds/ArmaBot-Beta1-0_9_1_11.exe[/url] -- that's a full setup of my bot.  The DLL you want is ArmaBot.Connections.dll -- but unfortunately, I don't have the documentation available for that particular class library.  I also don't know why but my web host is sucking right now with speed -- *shrug*.  I'll be able to get you documentation whenever I can get on my laptop.
June 21, 2005, 3:32 AM
Yoni
Why are you all reinventing the wheel?
Make a web page with a server module that is linked to your bot. Or implement your own web server in your bot. Or use WML or whatever the standard technologies are for cell phones these days.

.NET??
June 22, 2005, 6:21 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Yoni link=topic=11893.msg116888#msg116888 date=1119464476]
.NET??
[/quote]
The only reason I brought it up is because Microsoft is making a push to get its technology onto smart devices. :P
June 22, 2005, 7:30 PM
Lenny
Can you define 'smart devices'?

Is there really a programming standard for cell phones these days?  The closest thing I could image that would be is java.

Also, it's very possible just to have a webserver itself do all the work with regards to handling the battle.net connection.  It could even perform the hashing.
June 22, 2005, 8:29 PM
Topaz
I don't think you'd manage a binary connection to bnet through cell phones, but something of the webbot sort should work.
June 22, 2005, 9:48 PM
Myndfyr
[url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/grfcraftingsmartphoneuserinterfacesusingnetcompactframework.asp[/url]

.NET Compact Framework runs on smart phones.  I've already made a .NET CF-based bot for my PDA using the same library I talked about before.  It can be done.  It can also be done through C++.

June 22, 2005, 10:27 PM
laurion
[quote author=Yoni link=topic=11893.msg116888#msg116888 date=1119464476]
... Or use WML or whatever the standard technologies are for cell phones these days.
[/quote]
WAP
June 22, 2005, 11:56 PM

Search