Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | This is a lame topic, but might be worth the read...?

AuthorMessageTime
Needler
I can almost guarantee you this is NOT going to be worth your time, so if you are weak of faith, then stop reading here!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For all of those that read after the line, cudos to you, and now for the lame part:

I want to know what font-face MS-DOS prompts use, AND what font-face the title bars of them use...

Why the f^ck would I want to know that? Well I'll tell you why. My friend recently started to get into using all these trojans and what-not, and seems to think he has become the "3J33T HAX0R" on "TEH INTRAWEB"... So I am currently writing a tiny little program in Visual Basic that mimics the look of a DOS prompt, spews a bit of non-sense, IE "Extracting <malicious-sounding name>..." etc.

My goal with this project, is to do two things:

A) Take this kid down a few pegs =D (I don't like kids that claim to hack but just end up using trojans..)

B) Ultimately scare him into not using them anymore... Because he really isn't very computer literate.

Well anyways, I need the proper font-faces because he has seen DOS prompts because I have gone to his house and shown off my lame Telnet skills to connect to Battle.net, yes I know, I am a l33t hax0r, you can thank me later </sarcasm>...

Anyways, your information is much appreciated, and you will be doing the world a favor, by stopping yet another script kiddie from hitting the net!
June 15, 2005, 12:45 AM
Myndfyr
Why not just write a batch file?
June 15, 2005, 12:47 AM
Needler
Well, two main reasons that I am not writing a batch file...

A) I don't know what that is.

B) I don't know what it does, nor do I know how to write one!

I'm just a newb, remember? And MyndFyre, you simply own every post I make, you seem to make the most intelligent replies, and the fastest, it's amazing really...
June 15, 2005, 12:50 AM
Arta
A batch file sounds exactly like what you want. It's a text file that contains a list of commands to be executed by the command shell. Here's a batch file I use to automate weekly defrags on my server:

[code]
@echo off

echo Defragging c:...
defrag c: -f -v

echo Defragging d:...
defrag d: -f -v

echo Defragging e:...
defrag e: -f -v

echo Defragging f:...
defrag f: -f -v
[/code]

Here's another I use to restart services, so I don't have to type net stop/net start manually:

[code]
@echo off
net stop %1
net start %1
[/code]

You could do something along the lines of this:

[code]
echo Extracting evil thing...
echo Extracting evil thing2...
echo Extracting evil thing3...
[/code]

That would run in a flash though - you probably wouldn't even see it. You may want to look up some more advanced syntax - like if statements and for loops - so you can do more advanced things. If nothing else, you could use a for loop to waste some time and make it look like you're doing something.
June 15, 2005, 1:04 AM
Myndfyr
I once wrote a batch file that I put on my friend's computer that output "Formatting all hard drives... " and then twirled a line (via the text | / - \ |) and simulated disk access by creating and deleting a file many times.

Unfortunately, I don't remember how.
June 15, 2005, 1:36 AM
Needler
Hmm, I don't know how to write a batch file! Although, that does sound like what I need... Can you guys point me in the direction of a batch-file compiler, or tell me how to make them. It would be much appreciated...

Or even better, I could just be told the font-face DOS prompts use! Your choice, lol, but any help is appreciated.
June 15, 2005, 1:42 AM
Kp
Just build with -mconsole instead of -mwindows, and your program will automatically receive a console (which many people mistake for a "DOS prompt").  You can then print out whatever messages you want.
June 15, 2005, 2:27 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=Needler link=topic=11836.msg115811#msg115811 date=1118799760]
Hmm, I don't know how to write a batch file! Although, that does sound like what I need... Can you guys point me in the direction of a batch-file compiler, or tell me how to make them. It would be much appreciated...

Or even better, I could just be told the font-face DOS prompts use! Your choice, lol, but any help is appreciated.
[/quote]Batch doesn't compile..it just kinda.....works.
Batch files are scripts, not programs, so all you need is notepad.  clicky
June 15, 2005, 2:36 AM
laurion
Terminal
June 15, 2005, 2:56 AM

Search