Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | [VB6] Rich Text Box scroller question.

AuthorMessageTime
Needler
I am a newb to Visual Basic!

Wow, glad to come clean of that </sarcasm>

Anyhoo, I would like to know if there is any way to make a scroller for a Rich Text Box be different, IE: change the color of the bar, the background of it, or the arrows!

If there is a way, can you point me in the direction to get there, or if you don't feel like tip-towing around the issue, feel free to just flat out tell me.

Thanks!

June 14, 2005, 10:18 PM
Mangix
the only thing diffrent you can do with the scroll bars is make em horizontal or vertical. for color, i dont think its possible.
June 14, 2005, 10:35 PM
Needler
Thanks... That kind of sucks, but oh well, a program is a program!
June 14, 2005, 10:39 PM
Myndfyr
Generally, any window object type in Windows has a Window Procedure that allows it to be subclassed.  Scrollbars are no exception.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwui/html/msdn_scroll32.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/scrollbars/scrollbars.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/functions/setwindowsubclass.asp

Mangix, why do you continue to post your incorrect information here?
June 14, 2005, 10:51 PM
Needler
Myndfyre, thank you very much! That was a great help...

I have another question however, nothing to do with RTBs this time around...

You see, I am tweaking with a bot's source code to sort of get into Visual Basic, and I want to change it so it is like a client to Battle.net, with the full screen thing, and I can do that almost perfectly, but when I set Borders to 0, or none, it simply shows as if it has 3, or Fixed Dialogue... Any idea why this is happening, and if so, do you have any solutions?

I have an icon for the form, no caption, nor do I have a menu on it.

I am stumped, but that's not really saying too much.
June 14, 2005, 11:27 PM
Myndfyr
Battle.net's interface window utilizes DirectDraw, and enters fullscreen mode that way.  You would probably be unable to emulate it the same way without utilizing DirectDraw in some way.

I could probably point you in the right direction if you were using VB.NET, but I'm not knowledgeable about VB6 to give you an answer off the top of my head.  When I get home I'll check something on my machine.
June 14, 2005, 11:30 PM
Needler
Mmk, well I can say this much, Me.WindowState = 2, maximizes the window to take the whole screen, and should by all means allow it to use Border as 0.

But for some reason... I've looked through my source (It is a Triumph bot by Jivez, the one that was ripped from about 6 others...) and have found no reason for it to not allow me to use "0" as a border! I will look throught the fresh source as well to check if it is possibly something I have changed to cause this error.

*Edit* Well, it would appear this is in HIS screwed up source, which will cause me to read through all of it and give me a horrible headache... I'll post back if I can solve this otherwise, it means I still need help. If you want to view the source for yourself and laugh at it or possibly help me out, it can be downloaded from
http://thesource.staghost.com/progs/src/triumph.zip

It's the old original one that everybody hates so much.
June 14, 2005, 11:35 PM
FrOzeN
Change the form's BorderStyle to " 0 - None " in the Properties Window on the right.
Then in the 'StartUpPosition' set that to 'Center Form', also in the Properties Window.

If your form is set to Twips, use the code:
[code]Private Sub Form_Load()
    Me.Width = Screen.Width
    Me.Height = Screen.Height
End Sub[/code]

If your form is on Pixels, you would have to convert Screen.Width & Screen.Height to pixels, then set it like that.

Not exactly sure the conversion, but i think it's 15 Twips = 1 Pixel.
But it seems to change on different resolutions and such, and that's why most users work with Pixels.

Anyway that should help.
July 7, 2005, 3:18 AM
Adron
[quote author=FrOzeN link=topic=11832.msg119389#msg119389 date=1120706284]
Not exactly sure the conversion, but i think it's 15 Twips = 1 Pixel.
But it seems to change on different resolutions and such, and that's why most users work with Pixels.
[/quote]

Screen.TwipsPerPixelX and Screen.TwipsPerPixelY should help.
July 7, 2005, 9:04 AM

Search