Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Server on the web

AuthorMessageTime
MesiaH
I'm out of ideas, and my computer just isnt reliable enough to run a server the way i want it. Could you guys list a few ways for running a server on my webserver? (http://www.atomic-inc.net), ive tried activex controls, they dont work obviously. I made a php script to relay back to my computer, but then again my computer would have to be on once again, so i cant think of anything else. Help is appreciated by all.
April 28, 2003, 1:11 AM
iago
Spend money and get a real host? I hear www.vpnsys.com is good ;-)
April 28, 2003, 1:43 AM
Dayclone
I don't understand what your trying to do but if it setting up a server
you need to get a reall domain like www.name.com and you also need to set up a server program on your computer best way is to get MySQL from www.mysql.com or you can buy a server which cost quite alot personally i'm learning on VB .Net and .ASP to set up a .ASP website like <removed> If you have kazza lite you can dl SQL which is by Microsoft and it's even better then MySQL.

(Kazza has ad-aware and spyware get kazza lite)

Edit - The Management - Links to those types of browser-spam-bomb sites will be removed. Please don't post them here in the future.
April 28, 2003, 3:17 PM
Grok
[quote author=Dayclone link=board=5;threadid=1168;start=0#msg8683 date=1051543025]
you need to get a reall domain like www.name.com and you also need to set up a server program on your computer best way is to get MySQL from www.mysql.com or you can buy a server which cost quite alot personally i'm learning on VB .Net and .ASP to set up a .ASP website like <removed> If you have kazza lite you can dl SQL which is by Microsoft and it's even better then MySQL.

[/quote]

Dayclone, I'm not meaning to flame, but your advise is of no help. MesiaH already has a registered domain name, as he indicated. Of course, his question doesn't make much sense either. Run a server on your webserver MesiaH? Perhaps if you asked help for doing what you want to do, rather than how you want to do it. Then those of us with decades of experience could give you some options.
April 28, 2003, 4:32 PM
Arta
You can run a listening server - albiet a slow, inefficient, and ugly one - using a PHP or PERL script (or similar), assuming your webserver gives you the appropriate permissions and will let a script run forever.

It's eew though.
April 28, 2003, 4:54 PM
Grok
Nobody can answer his question until he states what kind of server he wants. Web? Database? Authentication? Imaging? File? Component? Email? Message Queueing? Music?
April 28, 2003, 5:56 PM
Yoni
echo? discard? daytime? qotd? chargen?
April 28, 2003, 6:41 PM
MesiaH
ok, bnls, hosted on valhallalegends.com. Say i wanna do the same thing, but its a shitty linux server so i cant really run exe's on it like a win2k server. is there any possible way with any language or components to run a server inside it (like a bnls server), if so, how?
April 28, 2003, 7:10 PM
TheMinistered
Develop an application (that is in essence a server?) in a language that can be compiled to run on a linux operating system.
April 28, 2003, 7:36 PM
Grok
[quote author=TheMinistered link=board=5;threadid=1168;start=0#msg8718 date=1051558601]
Develop an application (that is in essence a server?) in a language that can be compiled to run on a linux operating system.
[/quote]

A server is an abstract concept of any component which provides a service to a client. McDonalds is a server, because it serves clients. Same thing holds true in computing. Software (or hardware) components which provide a queried ability to another component or person, by the abstract definition, can be considered a server.

OK, I disgress, but this might help someone.
April 28, 2003, 7:42 PM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=5;threadid=1168;start=0#msg8715 date=1051557015]
ok, bnls, hosted on valhallalegends.com. Say i wanna do the same thing, but its a shitty linux server so i cant really run exe's on it like a win2k server. is there any possible way with any language or components to run a server inside it (like a bnls server), if so, how?
[/quote]

Too bad linux owns windows in the hosting department.
April 28, 2003, 8:19 PM
Grok
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=5;threadid=1168;start=0#msg8721 date=1051561197]
Too bad linux owns windows in the hosting department.
[/quote]

obvious troll.
April 28, 2003, 9:34 PM
Yoni
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=5;threadid=1168;start=0#msg8715 date=1051557015]
[/quote]
GNU/Linux may not natively run EXEs, but it definitely can run programs. It's an operating system after all. You just have to compile your code as Linux binaries.

If you want to run EXEs on Linux, you can use WINE. I highly recommend against WINE for a server, as a native server is highly likely to outperform a Win32 server running on top of WINE - but it can offer a quick solution if you know how to program in Win32 but are too lazy/don't have time to learn Linux programming.
April 28, 2003, 10:16 PM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=Dayclone link=board=5;threadid=1168;start=0#msg8683 date=1051543025]

[/quote]

Sorry, I must fix this post.
1) he said he had www.atomic-inc.net, which is a real name
2) why does he have to run a sql server when he doesn't have a web server? he said he wanted a web site
3) SQL is not by Microsoft and is not neccessarily better than MySQL. MySQL is meant to be quick and easy and integrate well with PHP. MySQL also works a lot better on POSIX.

BTW Grok: I couldn't resist.

EDIT: 4) KaZaA has Ad-aware?
April 29, 2003, 2:09 AM
Noodlez
I found a Shell PHP script a while ago which let's you execute programs server side. So make your program linux compatible, upload it, then run it with a PHP script. Although this is inefficient (computer can be restarted, program can crash) it's easy and quick.
April 29, 2003, 3:17 AM
Nova1313
I've decided to help him develope the software and stuff.

But yeah we don't have to worry about how to launch it. His problem was mostly that he knows vb. And not a language that compiles native on unix based systems (vb might now I know there was some compiler in the works).. So I'm going to help him learn java it's quick and easy conversion for what he wants...

btw storm when your online drop me an email I've been trying to contact you but your not on much...

[quote author=Noodlez link=board=5;threadid=1168;start=0#msg8755 date=1051586247]
I found a Shell PHP script a while ago which let's you execute programs server side. So make your program linux compatible, upload it, then run it with a PHP script. Although this is inefficient (computer can be restarted, program can crash) it's easy and quick.
[/quote]
April 29, 2003, 3:43 AM
tA-Kane
I'm told GCC is a good *nix compiler, if you don't mind command-line compilers.
April 30, 2003, 1:36 AM
Skywing
[quote author=tA-Kane link=board=5;threadid=1168;start=15#msg8820 date=1051666575]
[/quote]Actually, most C/C++ compilers - every single one I know of, in fact - are command-line. I believe there are IDEs which can use GCC to compile things, just as you can use the Microsoft Visual C++ IDE to compile things with Microsoft's C/C++ compiler or Intel's C/C++ compiler.
April 30, 2003, 5:12 PM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=tA-Kane link=board=5;threadid=1168;start=15#msg8820 date=1051666575]
[/quote]

GCC is THE posix compiler.
April 30, 2003, 7:46 PM
K
If you're looking for a good *nix IDE, I recommend Anjuta: http://anjuta.sourceforge.net/
April 30, 2003, 8:04 PM
UserLoser
[quote author=Noodlez link=board=5;threadid=1168;start=0#msg8755 date=1051586247]
[/quote]
That mind have some use for me, mind if you can share it, email it or send it to me on AIM later?
May 7, 2003, 4:06 PM

Search