Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Video & Sound External Card Suggestions

AuthorMessageTime
Trance
Hey guys, I need some help. Next weekend I'm going to be doing my first really big gig, and I want to record it into my laptop. Only problem is I don't really know who makes some decent external cards for video and audio. So I need some suggestions :)

I have plenty of USB 2.0 ports, and 1 Firewire port.

Here's what the cards need to have...

Video: I need a composite video in or S-video in since I'll be hooking it the card to my camcorder.

Audio: For audio I need one RCA line in, and one Mic in [1/8" or XLR input] so that I can plug in a feed from my mixer and microphone to get crowd noise.

THanks in advance.
May 19, 2005, 4:16 PM
Adron
I think most sound cards will only be able to record from a single input at a time. The next most sound cards will only be able to record from a mix of inputs at a time. Only beyond those will you have sound cards that can simultaneously create two recordings from different sources. I'm assuming that's what you want to do since you probably won't have time to be mixing crowd noise and your music while you're on.
May 19, 2005, 4:45 PM
Trance
Yeah I'm definitly going to need to have the computer record from "what you hear" type setting or something, or use some sort of device to combine the audio feeds together..

Edit: M-Audio had a an external card the combined two inputs together, but there wasn't an RCA input =/
May 19, 2005, 9:20 PM
Trance
I think I found what I'm looking for :)

Sound Card

Video Capture thingy

If this works out, I'll post the link to the video and such after the gig.
May 20, 2005, 4:58 AM

Search