Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | ENGLISH!

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
ok, I'm watching our schoolboard meeting on TV & they honor this dude for something or other & then he makes his little speech.  But WAIT!, his speech is in spanish, WTF!?

people should learn english if they're gonna live in my country

EDIT:
WTF!? even more so!  He is now reading his speech in english!?  I dont think it is even the same speech cause it didnt last as long.  I'm CONFUSED! 
May 18, 2005, 1:45 AM
kamakazie
That's un-American. Move to France where they have restrictions on freedom of speech.
May 18, 2005, 1:59 AM
DrivE
Its interesting because its multicultural. I don't have a problem with people who can speak and understand passible English, its the people that refuse to learn the language and demand that all the others adapt to them that piss me off. For instance, completely non-English speaking students in public schools is totally insane to me, because they lack communication with their teachers in many cases which isn't fair to either the student or the teacher. A few weeks ago when I was volunteering in an elemtary school the class that I was in had a student who only spoke Spanish, literally no English, who had been in the class for the entire year. We leaned on MY Spanish-speaking skills for the entire day because the teacher doesn't know any Spanish. The entire year has been this way. Whats the point?

I don't think its fair to ask the masses to adapt itself to one person. English is the nationally spoken language and while I agree that its unfair to demand that everyone be able to speak it, I think that it is not unreasonable that it be requested.
May 18, 2005, 2:06 AM
Adron
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=11619.msg112802#msg112802 date=1116381971]
Its interesting because its multicultural. I don't have a problem with people who can speak and understand passible English, its the people that refuse to learn the language and demand that all the others adapt to them that piss me off.
[/quote]

That is so true. People who are outside their own country but don't bother to learn English, just expect everyone else to learn their language, they're just too arrogant to bother talking to.
May 18, 2005, 2:15 PM
CrAz3D
Agreement!? :o

Maybe there is hidden sarcasm I can't see this early in the morning
May 18, 2005, 2:50 PM
DrivE
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=11619.msg112861#msg112861 date=1116427808]

[/quote]

I believe his statment to be sincere and its proof that it is actually possible for me and Adron to agree on something.

I think that Adron will agree with my statment though that while it is not right to demand that they learn to speak the native language of a country, it is at the very least common courtesy to make an attempt to learn and adapt to that language.
May 18, 2005, 2:56 PM
Arta
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=11619.msg112862#msg112862 date=1116428178]

[/quote]

I believe his statment to be sincere and its proof that it is actually possible for me and Adron to agree on something.

I think that Adron will agree with my statment though that while it is not right to demand that they learn to speak the native language of a country, it is at the very least common courtesy to make an attempt to learn and adapt to that language.
[/quote]

I also agree! If I knew you all in real life, I'd suggest that we go out to celebrate this special occasion!

It's got to be a first :)
May 18, 2005, 11:14 PM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=11619.msg112923#msg112923 date=1116458095]
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=11619.msg112862#msg112862 date=1116428178]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I also agree! If I knew you all in real life, I'd suggest that we go out to celebrate this special occasion!

It's got to be a first :)
[/quote]

Here here! I agree as well.

Here's a quote from http://www.blueoregon.com/2005/05/national_id.html which I particularly enjoy.
[quote]
- Enter Mexico illegally. Never mind immigration quotas, visas, international law, or any of that nonsense.

- Once there, demand that the local government provide free medical care for you and your entire family.

- Demand bilingual nurses and doctors.

- Demand free bilingual local government forms, bulletins, etc.

- Procreate abundantly.

- Deflect any criticism of this allegedly irresponsible reproductive behavior with, "It is a cultural United States thing. You would not understand, pal."

- Keep your American identity strong. Fly Old Glory from your rooftop, or proudly display it in your front window or on your car bumper.

- Speak only English at home and in public and insist that your children do likewise.

- Demand classes on American culture in the Mexican school system.

- Demand a local Mexican driver license. This will afford other legal rights and will go far to legitimize your unauthorized, illegal, presence in Mexico.

- Insist that local Mexican law enforcement teach English to all its officers.

Good luck! You'll be demanding for the rest of time or soon dead. Because it will never happen. It will not happen in Mexico or any other country in the world... Except right here... Land of the naive.
[/quote]
May 19, 2005, 1:13 AM
Arta
hmm. I'm not sure I agree with all that :P
May 19, 2005, 2:03 AM
Mephisto
I agree^^
May 19, 2005, 9:48 PM
CrAz3D
FREAKIN A!

I just got back from my senior awards ceremony (where they so thoughtfully forgot to award me the whatever thing that was related to the ACTs) & I saw that they gave out awards for 'Alternative Language' something or other...ESL.  Ok, so they give kids an award for learning freakin English, they'17, they should know it by now.  Next they give out the foreign language awards.  WTF!?  They give spanish awards to some of the ESL kids!  I wonder the fuck why those kids are good at spanish, maybe cause they didn't know english!  GOD!
May 20, 2005, 3:11 AM

Search