Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Lacrosse

AuthorMessageTime
hismajesty
This is off-topic everywhere else I think, but according to this forums description it is on-topic here. Hmm.

Does anybody play? There was an "interest meeting" sign posted at school the other day, and I'm really considering getting involved. I assume I'd have to train pretty hard though seeing as how I haven't played a team sport since 7th grade (4 years.) Only organized team sports I've played are: Baseball, Soccer, Volleyball. Lacrosse is apparently more physically demanding than all of those, especially baseball and volleyball. Also, apparently it's really painful due to lack of proper padding and stuff, those crazy Native Americans!

Comments in relation to rugby I guess would be decent, Mitosis. :P
May 16, 2005, 2:22 AM
LW-Falcon
Why not go for your football team?
May 16, 2005, 3:48 AM
jigsaw
did someone say rugby? welcome to my life.
May 16, 2005, 3:51 AM
Newby
We have so much in common!

I thought about going out for the lacrosse team, but since I'm taking a bunch of hard classes next year I won't have time.
May 16, 2005, 3:55 AM
Mephisto
We don't have lacrosse here; we have football.  Football is fun, but if your school is like mine you're going to have a hell of a year-long training routine.  :)
May 16, 2005, 4:00 AM
warz
I played lacrosse through highschool. I enjoyed it a lot. It didn't get any of the attention that football and soccer did, though. Mainly because everything we did was off campus. Meh.
May 16, 2005, 5:02 AM
hismajesty
Falcon: I'm not good at Football and I don't really like it too much except small backyard games and whatnot.

Warz: That's how it would be for me, I'm assuming it's not even going to be a _real_ team - more like a club. There isn't a lacrosse team that all the schools have so like crew we'd have to travel to whatever games and stuff. How much training did you do for it when you played? When did you start playing?
May 16, 2005, 10:26 AM
Mitosis
[quote author=jigsaw link=topic=11603.msg112615#msg112615 date=1116215480]
did someone say rugby? welcome to my life.
[/quote]

<3's you.

Trust, Rugby is way more physical than Lacrosse...but at times Lacrosse can be brutal too. I've broken a couple fingures playing from kids smashing at me when I'm running towards the other end.

My advice, join it. It doesn't look like you play any contact sports, so this will be your first. You're a guy, don't puss out, you'l love it.
May 16, 2005, 11:02 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=11603.msg112627#msg112627 date=1116241361]
Trust, Rugby is way more physical than Lacrosse...but at times Lacrosse can be brutal too.
[/quote]

People running after people is nothing. People with sticks running after other people with sticks hurts. I heard back in the day lacrosse fields were really long (~1 mile or so by some estimates) and there was no padding. Tis a good sport.
May 16, 2005, 11:46 AM
Fr0z3N
I play lacrosse out of school. I have a game tonight actually.

Here's what I have to say, if you don't wanna get knocked around and come home with bruses/cuts don't play. Also get the right equipment, don't listen to anyone who says 'tough it out' because even with the right equipment I still come home fucked. But it's fun, it's my favourite sport and will stay that way I've been playing for about 6 years. if you have any questions, I think you know my aim sn.
May 16, 2005, 11:52 AM
Mephisto
Like any contact sport (football comes to mind) you'll come home with cuts and broozes, but you just have to get over it.  And eventually it doesn't even bug you much and you'll have a lot of practice hours and training I'm sure; For instance, in last years season practice was 3+ hours after school mon-wed and a shorter/less intense practice on thursday, game on friday, and additional conditioning/review of previous game on saturday morning and for those games/practices I must of accumulated a thousand "injuries" (non-serious) including scratches, broozes, sprains, cramps, shin splits, etc.

It's all worth it though in my opinion, there's nothing like a full contact sport.  :-)
May 16, 2005, 4:02 PM
hismajesty
Soccer is a contact sport, despite what you all say!

dxoigmn: When the Native Americans used Lacrosse to fight for land, the fields were I think 3-10 miles. Since they only had that one little ball they just hit each other with sticks.

--

My main concern is with my current physical state. I'm assuming that this meeting is to get people interested for next year, so I'd have some time to rain. I'm tall (6 foot 4ish) and pretty thin - I'm also about 25 pounds or so underweight for my height, according to some things I've read (I'm 180ish). With me not doing any sports on a regular basis for 4 years, I'm really out of shape as far as muscle/endurance I think. The meeting is Wednesday, I guess I'll find out how long I have to get ready and then that will determine whether or not I play. With me not ever playing before, it's going to be extra hard for me. I started soccer and volleyball without prior experience, but I really wasn't as in to those as baseball, which I had played since I was old enough basically.

I also don't know how strong my wrists are, nor do I really know how to work those out...
May 16, 2005, 7:13 PM
Tuberload
Do push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc. Start out running about 2 miles a day 3 days a week and slowly add on to that. Keep progressing through this type of work out and it should help your body prepare.

It should only take you 3 months or so to get into good enough shape if you follow your workout correctly.

As far as your wrists, neck, knees, etc. They will strengthen as you perform activities that require a lot of joint usage. For example running is one of the best ways to prepare your lower extremities for the stress.

I like to follow a navy seal workout readily available on the Internet. I think it would be your best bet if you were out of shape. Once you get into shape you can focus more on weight lifting. This is of course just an opinion I have created over the years, do what you like.

http://www.navyseals.com/community/navyseals/navysealworkout_main.cfm

There is a beginning workout that would fit you well followed by a more advanced workout.

On a side note: I am 6 foot even and I way 180 pounds. I am not 100% sure of my body fat % but I know it is very low. I think you would be a very scrawny 6'4" at 155lbs. More than likely you will slim down to around 170lbs and be very happy with your muscle to fat ratio.
May 16, 2005, 8:22 PM
hismajesty
hmm, does that allow time for stopping? Is it a 2 mile run/walk? :P
May 16, 2005, 10:06 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=11603.msg112660#msg112660 date=1116281180]
hmm, does that allow time for stopping? Is it a 2 mile run/walk? :P
[/quote]

I suppose you will have to work up to 2 miles then:)
May 16, 2005, 10:09 PM
Hitmen
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=11603.msg112653#msg112653 date=1116270821]
I also don't know how strong my wrists are, nor do I really know how to work those out...
[/quote]
Ahaha, too easy.
May 16, 2005, 10:55 PM
hismajesty
I thought about upping my amount of masturbation.
May 16, 2005, 11:25 PM
Mephisto
I recommend running 40's for speed and 220's for conditioning.  Run 4 220's once a day after your practice/training with roughly 30 second breaks in between each one.  Also, you can try doing things like four corners/angle persuit.  Another one we do which really helps in my opinion (requires you're in pretty good shape) is to set up a square w/ 4 corners and for one line you jog, the next sprint, the next jog, the next sprint, and repeat; run that for x minutes and increase it as time goes on and you're in better shape, quite intense.

For agility you can do things like dots where you set of 5 dots in a specific design and you have to hop on them with both feet, one foot (each), both feet and spinning around, etc.  There's a specific order in which feet you use and you generally should make it in 60 seeconds once you get good at it.  Also things like I-Drill and boxes help too.

For working out and building muscle you want to begin by conditioning your body and then reaching your maxes.  What I mean is start with the basic workouts (squat, incline, bench, hammer, power clean) and do sets of like 3x10 or 5x8 (power clean 4x5); you can also add hangclean, snatch, hangclean-snatch, clean & jerk, hammer, plyoball pushups, etc.  After doing that for 2 months or so (workout 3 times a week I would suggest) you start going for higher weight but less repetitions (you do something like 4 sets of 3, 2, 2 2+ w/ %'s of like 80, 90, 100, 105, etc.).  Then you test yourself on some unspecific day and then repeat the process building off your maxes (when you do your reps for conditioning do like 60, 70, 80%).

I'm sure your trainer (coach) will have more specific advice to the actual sport of lacrosse, I'm just giving you suggestions based on our football workouts/conditioning.  Dunno, hope I helped.  :)
May 17, 2005, 12:16 AM
hismajesty
Yeah, right now I'm more interested in getting my endurance and overall physical health up to par. I'm not going to start anything until I know when this is going to start up and stuff.
May 17, 2005, 12:27 AM
Mitosis
Always lift your max weight when training, or you won't gain muscle. Start running on the track, if you're that out of shape, run 1 lap. Next day do 2. Then once you can actually breath, run your ass off, even if your legs start to hurt you keep running and don't stop. Put it this way, if I were buy you I would be running behind you yelling and beating you with a stick to keep you going! Remember, you won't get any better if you don't push yourself. Eat lots of meat, and veggies, carbs, wheats, etc.

Btw, fyi Locrosse isn't that violent of a sport, Rugby is worse and better :)
May 17, 2005, 12:34 AM
hismajesty
Nobody here plays rugby.

A mile is two and a half laps around the school track, so maybe I'll run on that. I don't know when I would though. Maybe I'll just run in place for 25 minutes, that's definitely longer than it would take to run two miles...hows that? :P
May 17, 2005, 12:45 AM
Mephisto
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=11603.msg112674#msg112674 date=1116290083]
Always lift your max weight when training, or you won't gain muscle. Start running on the track, if you're that out of shape, run 1 lap. Next day do 2. Then once you can actually breath, run your ass off, even if your legs start to hurt you keep running and don't stop. Put it this way, if I were buy you I would be running behind you yelling and beating you with a stick to keep you going! Remember, you won't get any better if you don't push yourself. Eat lots of meat, and veggies, carbs, wheats, etc.

[/quote]

I disagree with lifting your maximum when working out.  You won't get as much out of it.  You need to take %'s of your max, and rep those, and do full reps and complete your sets and finish them at all costs, even if you need a spotter.  You get stronger by repping the weight, the max is just a statistic to base your rep % off of which is what gets you stronger and increases your max which in turn increases the weight on your reps as you get stronger.
May 17, 2005, 2:33 AM
hismajesty
I read a lacrosse training thing, it said to not use too much weight as you're not trying to be a body builder. Just a few sets of eight reps for muscleness.
May 17, 2005, 2:36 AM
shout
Max == One Lift == No Reps != Fitness || Strength

Isn't it one should lift 70% or something like that for increased strength and 40% for endurance? Nabeshin told me something like this...
May 17, 2005, 2:41 AM
Tuberload
I do not see why a person starting from trusts stated position would want to go into a workout like that.

[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=11603.msg112670#msg112670 date=1116288976]
I recommend running 40's for speed and 220's for conditioning.  Run 4 220's once a day after your practice/training with roughly 30 second breaks in between each one. [/quote]

40 meter dashes focus on the ability to get to your top speed as fast as possible. As he stated he has not been physicaly active for some time so in my opinion he should be conditioning his muscles for general longterm physical use not momentary bests. 220's are no where near a long term muscle endurance excercise neither. 800 meter runs are still concidered sprints. Just because you can run a low 4 second 40 doesnt make you worth much if you die out halfway through the game.

[quote]Also, you can try doing things like four corners/angle persuit.  Another one we do which really helps in my opinion (requires you're in pretty good shape) is to set up a square w/ 4 corners and for one line you jog, the next sprint, the next jog, the next sprint, and repeat; run that for x minutes and increase it as time goes on and you're in better shape, quite intense.[/quote]

I do not think this is needed in the pre-training stage. He needs to focus on muscle endurance and longterm strength for now, and when he actualy becomes a part of the team the coach will focus on this sort of workout as it becomes appropriate. You're rushing things.

[quote]For agility you can do things like dots where you set of 5 dots in a specific design and you have to hop on them with both feet, one foot (each), both feet and spinning around, etc.  There's a specific order in which feet you use and you generally should make it in 60 seeconds once you get good at it.  Also things like I-Drill and boxes help too.[/quote]

Once again this should not be a focus in his current stage. His coach will implement this as needed. Focussing on how fast you can change directions is either a natural ability given to you or you do not have it. Improving your times should come after your bodies initital conditioning is complete.

[quote]For working out and building muscle you want to begin by conditioning your body and then reaching your maxes.  What I mean is start with the basic workouts (squat, incline, bench, hammer, power clean) and do sets of like 3x10 or 5x8 (power clean 4x5); you can also add hangclean, snatch, hangclean-snatch, clean & jerk, hammer, plyoball pushups, etc.  After doing that for 2 months or so (workout 3 times a week I would suggest) you start going for higher weight but less repetitions (you do something like 4 sets of 3, 2, 2 2+ w/ %'s of like 80, 90, 100, 105, etc.).  Then you test yourself on some unspecific day and then repeat the process building off your maxes (when you do your reps for conditioning do like 60, 70, 80%).[/quote]

It sounds like you're reciting things told to you personaly but other than that I wont realy disagree.  I just persoanly think he would be better off starting with a non-wieght workout consisting of pushups, situps, dip,s pullups, leglifts, etc.. before moving into wieght conditioning. By the time he is ready for weight training the workouts you suggest wouldnt be needed due to his wieghtless workouts. He could focus primarily on muscle strength and lift more for his maxes.

[quote]I'm sure your trainer (coach) will have more specific advice to the actual sport of lacrosse, I'm just giving you suggestions based on our football workouts/conditioning.  Dunno, hope I helped.  :)
[/quote]

It seems your coach has helped you a lot, and I hope you keep up your attitude towards physical fitness.
May 17, 2005, 2:59 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=11603.msg112686#msg112686 date=1116297239]
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=11603.msg112674#msg112674 date=1116290083]

[/quote]

I disagree with lifting your maximum when working out.  You won't get as much out of it.  You need to take %'s of your max, and rep those, and do full reps and complete your sets and finish them at all costs, even if you need a spotter.  You get stronger by repping the weight, the max is just a statistic to base your rep % off of which is what gets you stronger and increases your max which in turn increases the weight on your reps as you get stronger.
[/quote]

Your max strength will not increase without lifting maximum reps. You need to lift a combination of max's along with repetitions.
May 17, 2005, 3:02 AM
Mephisto
I can agree Tuberload.  I guess for once we can get along, eh?  :)

(Nevermind what I said in your "I'm back!" thread^^)
May 17, 2005, 3:13 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=11603.msg112697#msg112697 date=1116299608]
I can agree Tuberload.  I guess for once we can get along, eh?  :)

(Nevermind what I said in your "I'm back!" thread^^)
[/quote]

Eh, and I didn't pay attention to it in the first place. It is amazing what can be accomplished when pride is set aside. Have a good night.
May 17, 2005, 3:22 AM
warz
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=11603.msg112676#msg112676 date=1116290707]
Nobody here plays rugby.

A mile is two and a half laps around the school track, so maybe I'll run on that. I don't know when I would though. Maybe I'll just run in place for 25 minutes, that's definitely longer than it would take to run two miles...hows that? :P
[/quote]

I played rugy during fall semester for a community college in Dallas. I played lacrosse in high school. Lacrosse wasn't ever as rough as rugby, IMO. I enjoyed lacrosse more, though, because I like the fact that I kinda felt lacrosse was a mix of baseball and football and soccer kinda. I was good at baseball throughout middle school, so I liked swining the nets in lacrosse. I dunno, I could flick it good. Rugby didn't come as natural. Rugby's fun though when you get to know the rules, and such. Both fun sports - play both, but if youre only choosing one I'd say lax. *shrug*

Note: Don't play either, though, if you're just trying to fit into some stereotypical prep group, or something. You probably wont [i]want[/] to play, meaning youll suck and get hurt and quit. Most kids aren't preps (from my area, anywho), and I don't even think it's considered a preppy sport anymore. It was considered scrag here. :-P
May 17, 2005, 5:22 AM
LW-Falcon
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=11603.msg112676#msg112676 date=1116290707]
Nobody here plays rugby.

[/quote]
Running on a treadmill and running outside is not the same, it is much more difficult to focus and be motivated knowing that you can stop any second. Like my track coach told me, "You can be tired, and quit right now. Or be tired, and finish this workout. You're gonna be tired either way."
May 17, 2005, 6:23 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=warz link=topic=11603.msg112708#msg112708 date=1116307332]
Nobody here plays rugby.

[/quote]

I played rugy during fall semester for a community college in Dallas. I played lacrosse in high school. Lacrosse wasn't ever as rough as rugby, IMO. I enjoyed lacrosse more, though, because I like the fact that I kinda felt lacrosse was a mix of baseball and football and soccer kinda. I was good at baseball throughout middle school, so I liked swining the nets in lacrosse. I dunno, I could flick it good. Rugby didn't come as natural. Rugby's fun though when you get to know the rules, and such. Both fun sports - play both, but if youre only choosing one I'd say lax. *shrug*

Note: Don't play either, though, if you're just trying to fit into some stereotypical prep group, or something. You probably wont [i]want[/] to play, meaning youll suck and get hurt and quit. Most kids aren't preps (from my area, anywho), and I don't even think it's considered a preppy sport anymore. It was considered scrag here. :-P
[/quote]

I don't know of any place around here that offers Rugby anyway. I've always thought Lacrosse looked pretty fun, but there weren't many oppurtunities to play - it's not a big deal here at all. Most likely it will be like crew, where there isn't even tryouts.
May 17, 2005, 10:30 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Falcon[anti-yL] link=topic=11603.msg112710#msg112710 date=1116311030]
Nobody here plays rugby.

[/quote]
Running on a treadmill and running outside is not the same, it is much more difficult to focus and be motivated knowing that you can stop any second. Like my track coach told me, "You can be tired, and quit right now. Or be tired, and finish this workout. You're gonna be tired either way."
[/quote]

Not only that but the lower extremity strengthening benefits are not as good as actual outdoor running.
May 17, 2005, 4:13 PM
JoeTheOdd
Trust, when we did weight lifting, my max bench press was the bar. Feel better, now?

EDIT -
I'm ~178 with my shirt and undergarments on, but no pants/socks/shoes/hat/etc.
May 18, 2005, 2:30 AM
hismajesty
No not really.
May 18, 2005, 10:26 AM
hismajesty
Alright, went to the meeting. About 12-14 kids showed up, and only two had actually played lacrosse before (the girl starting this and some guy.) 4 coach people came and talked to us, they're the ones that are going to help us get this off the ground. We may have to team up with some other highschools to make enough people for a team, making us a lacrosse club. However, if we get enough interest and stuff in a year or two we may be able to get Varsity and make it a school sport. It took my schools crew team two years to make varsity.

I got a Lacrosse magazine and some literature to read and stuff, and it looks pretty fun. As long as I get my endurance, speed, etc. up I should be OK. Spring sports end in 3 weeks or so, and we're going to start just messing with sticks and stuff in June/over the summer. Apparently we're going to have a real meeting and stuff in September and then they're going to start training us and getting us ready for the Spring.

"Welcome to High School" orientation is on Monday, we're going to set a booth up.
May 18, 2005, 8:26 PM
Mitosis
Eww you can only bench the bar?
May 19, 2005, 1:02 AM
hismajesty
I think I'm gonna just buy a cheap $30 or so stick and a self training ball thing this weekend, just to mess around with. I figure this will help my stick skills in general, strengthen my wrists, and help hand eye coordination. I want to at least know how to throw the ball before we start our stuff in a month or so.
May 19, 2005, 1:12 AM
Fr0z3N
What ever you do, don't skimp on anything in lacrosse. I learned that the hard way.
May 20, 2005, 11:11 PM
hismajesty
I don't plan to. Since we're not starting real practices until Septemberish, the people that are helping us were going to let us use their sticks while we learned the basics (this is optional, too) this Spring/Summer. I just want one to mess with in the back yard, I wouldn't think of using a cheap one in a game. It would suck if it broke. :P
May 20, 2005, 11:27 PM
hismajesty
If I can get up in time (it's 12AM now, so I'm thinking like 6AMish) I'm going to go for a morning run and stuff. How long should I be able to run without stopping, or what time should I shoot for?
May 22, 2005, 3:59 AM
hismajesty
OK, so I did a pretty short run this morning and then I went to the gym for ~1.5-2 hours. My mother is the account manager for a womens gym (she sends people to get sued) and they're closed Sunday morning while the cleaning people work and stuff. She had to catch up on some paperwork so I went in with her and just worked out while she was in there. I got a pretty complete workout, but mainly focused on my lowerbody. Then I went to the grocery store, while I was there I bought healthyish stuff to eat/drink. I feel really energized now, it's good.

I can only get to the gym once a week though I think, so I'm not sure how effective that's going to be...

Edit: Also, I was weighed on the scale there...I'm ~174..which is apparently in the "normal weight" range for my height. That's good. Though, according to this website, if I go down even 10 pounds I'd be underweight. Tuberload said that I'd probably go down to 155, will that cause any health problems? :o
May 22, 2005, 3:28 PM
Fr0z3N
Only your lower body? Work on everything, you wanna put on as much weight in muscles as you can, also work on your balance, it's impossible to knock a huge, heavy guy with balance over.
May 22, 2005, 5:44 PM
hismajesty
Just mostly my lower body. I did some upper body workouts (shoulders, pectorals, back, biceps, triceps, abdominals) but most of the time it was lower body (20 minute cardio warmup was all lowerbody, obviously and then various weight machines).
May 22, 2005, 5:50 PM
Mitosis
If you work out and gain muscle you won't go down in weight.
May 22, 2005, 10:37 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=i8tweety link=topic=11603.msg113380#msg113380 date=1116783893]
Only your lower body? Work on everything, you wanna put on as much weight in muscles as you can, also work on your balance, it's impossible to knock a huge, heavy guy with balance over.
[/quote]

What would be the benefit of adding muscle weight if he is not physically fit in the first place? He should work on muscle strength and endurance before he attempts to add mass. Especially with the limited time frame he is looking at.
May 23, 2005, 10:59 PM
hismajesty
Had a small clinic thing with one of the coaches that is helping us, for the basics. We're going to have another tommorow with a different coach. I've been practicing in the backyard playing catch a lot, I did for probably a total of about 3 hours today. I rubbed skin off of my thumb. :(
June 8, 2005, 11:33 PM

Search