Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | To use more then 1 socket?

AuthorMessageTime
Imperceptus
I am making a game client for Ragnarok Online.  The Server is actually made up of 3 Programs each running on a different Port.  I am Currently Using 3 different sockets to handle the 3 different servers, but Im pretty sure that It could be done with 1 socket. What would you do?
May 13, 2005, 3:20 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
I would use an array of sockets.
May 13, 2005, 5:01 PM
Imperceptus
I thought of that solution myself as well, A good Idea, but I hate passing around the stupid index of the socket.
May 13, 2005, 5:20 PM
Yegg
I agree with rabbit, arrays are the best way to go when you want to work with multiple sockets (or other classes) and have easy access to them.
May 13, 2005, 7:09 PM
Quarantine
afaik just create a new instance of the object by refrencing it
May 13, 2005, 8:07 PM
UserLoser.
If it uses UDP you could possibly use one socket
May 14, 2005, 12:54 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
That's true, but from the way he described it it sounded like TCP, so that's what I went with.
May 14, 2005, 1:02 AM
Imperceptus
Heres how things work

I connect to server 1, talk to it a bit, get a message that i then use to connect to server 2, talk with server 2 then get a message that i use to connect with server 3 from which I sustain my connection with., I dont need to be connected to all the servers at the same time at all. 

May 15, 2005, 2:59 AM
LivedKrad
Looks to me like you only need to maintain one connection at any given time.
May 15, 2005, 6:56 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
In which case you could simply use 1 socket and not have to deal with multiple controls or the passing of an index variable.
May 15, 2005, 3:31 PM

Search