Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | BSD

AuthorMessageTime
iago
I figure at some point in the next couple of weeks, I'll put BSD on a computer at work to muck around with. 

Any suggestions about which BSD? Or, what's the advantages/disadvantages of OpenBsd, NetBsd, etc.?

Difficulty isn't a problem, since I'm doing this to learn and I'm quite comfortable with Linux already.

(This is, of course, mostly for nslay, but anybody else with relevant experience should feel free to answer :))
April 27, 2005, 8:23 PM
EpicOfTimeWasted
The easiest way I can sum up Open/Net/Free is:

OpenBSD's main focus is security, so for any sort of "mission critical" application, it gets my vote.
NetBSD will run on just about any hardware.  If you want to install BSD on your Playstation 2/Portable, NetBSD gets my vote.
FreeBSD strikes a balance between the two.
April 27, 2005, 9:27 PM
Newby
I've heard different about NetBSD (I heard it just had a faster TCP/IP stack or something)...and I heard FreeBSD was compatible with more drivers than most.

But thanks for the explanation, EpicOfTimeWasted.

I guess I can try out NetBSD or FreeBSD later on.
April 27, 2005, 9:57 PM
hismajesty
I thought this was about the person. You suck.
April 28, 2005, 1:41 AM
nslay
[quote author=iago link=topic=11405.msg110158#msg110158 date=1114633391]
I figure at some point in the next couple of weeks, I'll put BSD on a computer at work to muck around with. 

Any suggestions about which BSD? Or, what's the advantages/disadvantages of OpenBsd, NetBsd, etc.?

Difficulty isn't a problem, since I'm doing this to learn and I'm quite comfortable with Linux already.

(This is, of course, mostly for nslay, but anybody else with relevant experience should feel free to answer :))
[/quote]

Try OpenBSD, that's one I've never tinkered with and would be interested in your review...in fact, why doesn't [vL] make an OS Review Board?
April 28, 2005, 2:04 AM
GameSnake
[quote author=EpicOfTimeWasted link=topic=11405.msg110180#msg110180 date=1114637231]
NetBSD will run on just about any hardware.  If you want to install BSD on your Playstation 2/Portable, NetBSD gets my vote.

[/quote]
Hahaha, I gotta try that, I have a 40 gig attachment to my PS2 and internet connection going to it.
April 28, 2005, 1:59 PM
St0rm.iD
Trust me. You want FreeBSD. It's more widespread, thus, has more support, drivers, compatibility, apps, etc.
April 29, 2005, 2:08 AM
nslay
[quote author=Banana fanna fo fanna link=topic=11405.msg110352#msg110352 date=1114740489]
Trust me. You want FreeBSD. It's more widespread, thus, has more support, drivers, compatibility, apps, etc.
[/quote]

[vL] Make OS Review Board!  :'(
April 29, 2005, 4:52 PM
iago
It seems to me that that board would be nothing but OS Flame Wars.  I doubt much good would come of it.
April 29, 2005, 10:44 PM
Newby
There wouldn't be enough OS reviews in there to warrant an entire board, either.
April 29, 2005, 11:05 PM
nslay
[quote author=iago link=topic=11405.msg110459#msg110459 date=1114814667]
It seems to me that that board would be nothing but OS Flame Wars.  I doubt much good would come of it.
[/quote]

Well, I would recommend disabling response.  Just only allow posts.  If you want to expand its usefulness.  Why not make it an OS Review Board for specific computers.  I could post information about running a FreeBSD on a Thinkpad.  Besides, it doesn't have to be one review per OS ... it's a very subjective subject.  Perhaps make it a Software Review Board for software in general.
April 29, 2005, 11:46 PM
Rule
[quote author=nslay link=topic=11405.msg110471#msg110471 date=1114818360]
Well, I would recommend disabling response.  Just only allow posts.  If you want to expand its usefulness.  Why not make it an OS Review Board for specific computers.  I could post information about running a FreeBSD on a Thinkpad.  Besides, it doesn't have to be one review per OS ... it's a very subjective subject.  Perhaps make it a Software Review Board for software in general.
[/quote]

Post any OS or Software reviews you have here.  These topics can usually be locked..  If substantial interest grows and this board becomes dominated by OS and software reviews (which I find unlikely), then the relevant posts could be siphoned off to some kind of "Review" forum.  If someone writes a particularly fascinating, objective, and informative post comparing different operating in systems in detail, perhaps it could be made a sticky.  Honestly, I don't see a huge amount of discussion coming out of an entire "Review" forum, so why fragment the boards unnecessarily? 

If this were to happen, I'd see it being implemented as a "child board".
May 2, 2005, 7:44 PM
KkBlazekK
I'd find a board that gave all the ups + downs of a os very good information to have, but iago is right. It would turn into a os vs os flame war unless very strictly moderated, or post having to be reviewed. The problem with those exceptions is its not worth all the extra work as far as I am concerned.
May 2, 2005, 7:47 PM
iago
Maybe a forum on general software reviews, not just OS's.

But anyway, back to the point.  I tried to install OpenBSD on our VMWare server, but none of the 3 boot disks I tried recognized VMWare's SCSI drive.  So I started downloading FreeBSD, we'll see if that works a little better.
May 5, 2005, 1:37 AM
tA-Kane
I have NetBSD running on one of my IBM RS/6000 43p machines. It's fairly old, but it seems to be working...

Now if only I could find the damn key to unlock the case! Urrrrggggghhhhhh! I wanna put a VGA card in the freaking thing!
May 8, 2005, 12:56 AM

Search