Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | FreeBSD 5.3, setting device permissions at startup

AuthorMessageTime
nslay
I have my FreeBSD configured to use acpi but I like to use KLaptopDaemon which uses apm.  FreeBSD can interface apm to acpi for application compatibility.  Everytime at boot I suspect the it looks at rc.conf and sees that I want apm support enabled and creates the device node, however, I have to manually set the permissions everytime so accounts besides root can access it.  I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a configuration that would set the permissions of files and folders at startup.  Would be a lot nicer than creating a startup script...
April 25, 2005, 11:53 PM
EpicOfTimeWasted
Edit /etc/devfs.conf, and add the line (or something similar to fit your specific needs):
[code]perm apm 0660[/code]

You could also change the owner with:
[code]own apm user:group[/code]

As for setting permissions on files and folders on startup... which files and folders, and under what circumstances would the permissions be set?
April 26, 2005, 12:33 AM
nslay
[quote author=EpicOfTimeWasted link=topic=11392.msg109919#msg109919 date=1114475605]
Edit /etc/devfs.conf, and add the line (or something similar to fit your specific needs):

As for setting permissions on files and folders on startup... which files and folders, and under what circumstances would the permissions be set?
[/quote]

I want to change the permissions of /dev/apm
April 26, 2005, 12:35 AM
nslay
[quote author=EpicOfTimeWasted link=topic=11392.msg109919#msg109919 date=1114475605]

[/quote]

Yep, that worked... Thanks a lot!  I suppose its not necessary to change the permissions at startup.
April 26, 2005, 4:55 AM

Search