Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | cant get linux to install

AuthorMessageTime
programermcgeek
im downloading fedora and i have the first one so i add the boot files to the main place...and i write it to the cd...i put it in my other computer and it goes straigt to my messed up winblows...any idea how i can fix this...i made sure my cd rom drive was looked in firest but still notin
April 23, 2005, 3:44 AM
JoeTheOdd
Read your computer manual on reformatting from your Windows XP (or wtf ever it is) CD. It will tell you a key to press while starting up to get the boot menu. For my Dell Dimension 2300, its the F12 key. This is pressed right after powering on, at the Dell screen, or whatever you have.

Also, Fedora? Ew. Get Slackware. (Beat you iago and Newby.)
April 23, 2005, 4:49 AM
programermcgeek
i already did that...before i even thought about posting
April 23, 2005, 5:37 AM
Mr. Neo
Go into the BIOS and set the boot device to be your cd drive.  Right after you turn on your computer it'll say something about "Press <KEY> to enter BIOS."  Just press that key and change the boot order.
April 23, 2005, 12:13 PM
programermcgeek
i repeat, i already did that

P.S. i got it to install, i had to burn the disks with nero
April 24, 2005, 12:53 AM
JoeTheOdd
Burned incorrectly so it refused to boot?
April 24, 2005, 5:31 PM
programermcgeek
the windows burner does not support booting disks...
April 24, 2005, 7:01 PM
shout
Windows has something to burn with?
April 24, 2005, 9:29 PM
programermcgeek
yes...if you have a cd burning drive you can use it...you paste something into the burner drive and then you click burn this to cd...and there it is
April 24, 2005, 10:09 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Windows wont burn iso's or cd images as far as i no.
April 24, 2005, 11:05 PM
KkBlazekK
Windows XP has Roxio burning software in it so it can burn cds, but it doesn't work half the time. *whips his useless slax disc at the wall*
April 24, 2005, 11:44 PM
nslay
[quote author=programermcgeek link=topic=11363.msg109772#msg109772 date=1114380594]
yes...if you have a cd burning drive you can use it...you paste something into the burner drive and then you click burn this to cd...and there it is
[/quote]

Here is a free little powertoy that will burn ISO's for you.  It even adds "Write to CD" option when you right click an ISO.  I've never really had need to build ISOs though...
Get Beta 2, the first verison won't run correctly on XP SP2, other than that...no problems.

[url]http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm[/url]
April 26, 2005, 5:15 AM

Search