Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | ProxyCap for Ubuntu Linux?

AuthorMessageTime
JoeTheOdd
I want to use my linux box full time, but I'm having a bit of a problem. All the core utilities require a direct connection to the internet (IE: No proxying), and I can't get PPP to work without downloading more packages. Solution is easy, run a proxy on JoeMomma. I've tried that, but still apt-get can't use one. Anybody know where I can get source code (for compiling) for a proxycap port/alternative for PPC Linux or a compiled version for Ubuntu Warty Warthog PPC Edition?

EDIT: Problem resolved with ICS.
April 19, 2005, 9:09 PM
Adron
Why do you need to run through a proxy? Is there no way to reconfigure your network to be transparent, perhaps set up a transparent proxy?

And also, I find it very unlikely that it would be impossible to run those utilities through a proxy; someone else must've had your problem before and fixed it in the open source world. Did you check for all configuration options, environment settings, etc?
April 20, 2005, 12:02 PM
JoeTheOdd
I want to use scp, ssh, apt-update, and various other small utilities. I need to run it through a proxy, because of my effed over setup, iMac cannot see the internet at all; only JoeMomma can.
April 20, 2005, 10:20 PM
iago
I'd recommend getting a router, but I don't know of any routers that allow dialup.

You can probably set your Linux box in front, then use iptables to route the rest of the network to the Internet (NATing and all that), effectively making Linux into a router.  I have an eBook called "using Linux as a router" if you're interesting in trying it :)
April 20, 2005, 10:55 PM
Adron
Many slightly less cheap routers actually have a backup dialup interface that is used if the regular WAN link is lost.

What's JoeMomma running? There's really no NAT software available for it?
April 21, 2005, 1:30 AM
iago
JoeMomma is Windows XP.

I suppose he could enable "Internet Connection Sharing" -- is that compatible with Linux?  I'm not sure if Microsoft implemented their own connection-sharing or if it really does act as a router.
April 21, 2005, 1:59 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=iago link=topic=11324.msg109246#msg109246 date=1114048755]
JoeMomma is Windows XP.

I suppose he could enable "Internet Connection Sharing" -- is that compatible with Linux?  I'm not sure if Microsoft implemented their own connection-sharing or if it really does act as a router.
[/quote]

ICS acts as a limited-ability router -- by which I mean that it's a bitch to configure port forwarding and whatnot.  I successfully used ICS over the modem to play Xbox live with a crossover ethernet cable, so I don't see why ICS wouldn't work for anything else.
April 21, 2005, 2:10 AM
Adron
Internet Connection Sharing should fix his problems. FTP through ICS I'm not sure sure about, but anything that only uses outbound connections should work just fine.
April 21, 2005, 2:25 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Adron link=topic=11324.msg109250#msg109250 date=1114050359]
Internet Connection Sharing should fix his problems. FTP through ICS I'm not sure sure about, but anything that only uses outbound connections should work just fine.
[/quote]
You should be able to set up inbound connections:

[img]http://www.jinxbot.net/Samples/advsettings.gif[/img]

When you enable ICS in your network connection properties pane, click the "Settings..." button to select which services to port-forward.
April 21, 2005, 4:34 AM
Adron
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=11324.msg109261#msg109261 date=1114058068]
[quote author=Adron link=topic=11324.msg109250#msg109250 date=1114050359]
[/quote]
You should be able to set up inbound connections:

When you enable ICS in your network connection properties pane, click the "Settings..." button to select which services to port-forward.
[/quote]

Setting up fixed inbound ports shouldn't be a problem, but what I'm talking about is the FTP data port, which requires being dynamically rewritten in the control stream. I'm not sure if ICS does that. If it doesn't, he'll have to configure his ftp client for passive mode, and it can all become rather complicated.
April 21, 2005, 1:27 PM
JoeTheOdd
You guys rock. I'm trying that right now.

EDIT: Saddens me to say this doesn't work. :(
[code]joe@imac:~/temp $ wget www.valhallalegends.com
--18:33:43--  http://www.valhallalegends.com/
          => `index.html'
Resolving www.valhallalegends.com... 63.161.183.205
Connecting to www.valhallalegends.com[63.161.183.205]:80...
[/code]
April 21, 2005, 11:28 PM
Adron
You have set up JoeMomma as default gateway on your linux machine? Have you tried running Ethereal or a similar tool on JoeMomma and looking at what packets are getting there?
April 22, 2005, 1:00 AM
JoeTheOdd
Haven't run Etheral. JoeMomma, 10.0.0.2, is the gateway on iMac's Ethernet card, 10.0.0.5.
April 22, 2005, 12:11 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Joe[x86] link=topic=11324.msg109383#msg109383 date=1114171871]
Haven't run Etheral. JoeMomma, 10.0.0.2, is the gateway on iMac's Ethernet card, 10.0.0.5.
[/quote]

ICS provides its own private DHCP service.  I think you need to configure imac to use the DHCP provided on the network if you want to use the ICS machine as an internet gateway.  JoeMomma -- being Windows -- will probably demand that it's 192.168.0.xxx on your local network too -- but I'm not 100% on that.
April 23, 2005, 8:23 AM
JoeTheOdd
This is getting un-fun. Okay, I'll do that.

EDIT: MyndFyre, you totally rock. Thanks.
April 23, 2005, 4:43 PM

Search