Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Moderate Flame Wars!

AuthorMessageTime
n00blar
I would appreciate moderaters if they would moderate the flames more! I have seen people flaming someone simply for asking for help or simply for asking a question of interest! I admit i have participated in the flame wars and i should be ashamed =P so please moderate these forums closely and delete any posts or replys that are non-friendly or non-constructive!

January 1, 2003, 6:28 PM
iago
You're talking about warz, aren't you?  He flames every person who asks for help.  

To him: Knock it off! :'-(
January 1, 2003, 6:42 PM
MrRaza
I think alot of people are afraid to post here because they afraid of being insulted for asking a simple question. I myself fit into that catergory... :-/
January 1, 2003, 7:10 PM
warz
Flaming? No, that'd mean I'm wasting my time. It's more or less constructive criticism... forcing others to research on their own, before making a fool of themself on some forum, or any other place.
January 1, 2003, 7:10 PM
UserLoser
Dont be afraid, im not and 'warz' has "flamed" atleast 3-5 times....
January 1, 2003, 7:11 PM
Arta
What a load of crap. You can't force anyone to do anything. It's just trolling, it's really irritating, and I wish you'd stop it.
January 1, 2003, 7:11 PM
UserLoser
I thought this forum is a place where others help others with their problems, not telling someone to go figure it out on their own.  many of us had to figure things out by our selves, but if someone asks you something, atleast helpe them with what you could...
January 1, 2003, 7:12 PM
warz
[quote]I think alot of people are afraid to post here because they afraid of being insulted for asking a simple question. I myself fit into that catergory... :-/[/quote]

Obviously it's working. You can ask for help, as long as you know what you're asking for help on, right? Why go in depth, when a simple referal to a website that will be able to explain the subject 100x better than I'll ever be able to, is just as simple?
January 1, 2003, 7:12 PM
MrRaza
i dunno...

but I can see where your coming from, I would find it annyoing when someone asks for code that they cannot edit themselves because they have no idea what there doing
January 1, 2003, 7:17 PM
UserLoser
i can see maybe if you have either bits and parts of those sources on your site, giving out other people sources i dont think is right w/o asking them, it looked like Noodlez was mad when he found out an entire source of his was released and still is...just having an entire source sitting there...really wont do much to people who are just learning the basics, some of those sources are too advanced and really confusing to others except the author who made it and understands every little part to it.  if someone asks for help, dont tell them to goto your site, thats not going to help them learn as much, it will only show the way its done, it wont tell *how* it is done, and what it means, and other ways to do things....also it does not explain the subject 100x better
January 1, 2003, 7:21 PM
warz
Not if they honestly want to learn how to do it, rather than find it, and copy it. A good skill to develop is the skill to read, and comprehend. Look at how it's done, and figure out what it does, then recreate it.
I'm sure noodlez was mad, but then I'm also sure he downloaded other files from there too.
January 1, 2003, 7:25 PM
UserLoser
The way i learn from it is, see how they do it, and then packet log it and compare, tahts the way i learn how to do most of these packets...im sure he probably did download other things on there, but you have to lighten up a little and not sound like some big old mean guy or something, youve seen what others have said to you, and about you..
January 1, 2003, 7:28 PM
warz
You just admitted to doing what you were saying was so incorrect earlier. Take this to a private message, or something. [or get over it...]
January 1, 2003, 7:30 PM
UserLoser
I will get over it, im just trying to help the problem  :-X
January 1, 2003, 7:32 PM
Atom
How are you gonna know what their gonna do with the code? Everything ive learned ive learned from Planet Source Code. In my opinion sources are a lot better then docs. If you dont wanna help people, then just shut your mouth ok? So if somebody asks for source for say... a botnet client... then dont say "why dont you just look at the doc and learn it yourself", your just being ignorant. And whoever said people are afraid to post here cuz they will just be flamed, your probaly right, cuz even good programmers get flamed, even for something like a spelling error or stuff like that.
January 1, 2003, 7:36 PM
warz
Whos side are you on? You're arguing both sides.
January 1, 2003, 7:39 PM
MrRaza
lol, i agree with the doc topic.. But i also like reading programming books aswell and doing their examples. :)
January 1, 2003, 7:43 PM
haZe
accusing other people of flaming could be considered flaming..in the way u guys do it anyways =/
userloser, nice 69 posts =D
January 1, 2003, 9:46 PM
UserLoser
.....ok....???
January 1, 2003, 10:49 PM
Eibro
As someone else said, you're never going to "force" newbies to go look and learn on their own no matter how mean you act.

That's how it works, newbies ask questions. Sometimes stupid, simple questions but that's excusable the first few times. If you have a link that can explain it 100x better; then post it without being a jerk.

As for a few of the "sources" on that website; I personally wouldn't want anyone trying to learn off those... they only thing they'd be learning is bad programming habits.
January 1, 2003, 11:58 PM
MrRaza
aww man...  :D
January 2, 2003, 12:07 AM
UserLoser
i agree with what eibro is saying about going off those sources, like i said earlier :-/
January 2, 2003, 12:23 AM
Etheran
oh gawd, raise your hand if you've never programmed something that was considered "bad programming practice".  I don't think any of us are innocent. :P
January 2, 2003, 12:41 AM
warz
Programming practice is exactly what it is... "practice", meaning it comes in time. Obviously copying somebodies code, is copying their problems. Work with it long enough [practice] and then, by goly, you're learning.
January 2, 2003, 12:57 AM
Eibro
[quote]oh gawd, raise your hand if you've never programmed something that was considered "bad programming practice".  I don't think any of us are innocent. :P[/quote]
That's not the point. The point is, newbies are being sent to try and learn from that stuff.
January 2, 2003, 1:14 AM
warz
I think you're expecting them to learn soley from that, as you said, "stuff." Well, as you and most other common users of the internet probably do, searching for multiple resources and conjuring every source of information that you possibly can online, as well as books etc, is almost implied. If somebody wants to learn 100% from somebody elses work, hey it's possible.. I did it, for the most part. There's no shame in any method.
January 2, 2003, 1:22 AM
iago
[quote]Cheap bastard.[/quote]

Yes, that's encouraging
January 2, 2003, 3:14 PM
warz
Is it not true, though?  ;)
January 2, 2003, 3:55 PM
UserLoser
It's cheap, but where do you get that hes a bastard from?
January 2, 2003, 4:42 PM
haZe
Warz is
A flamer.
A spammer.
A person who jumps in on every single topic just because he feels like being noticed.
He got about 50 posts in a week or two.
Thats not right.
>:(
January 2, 2003, 10:33 PM
warz
Being a bastard is a compliment of being cheap. They come in the same package. Take away the post numbers, and let us see what changes. I'm willing to bet that nobody honestly gives a shit [in regard to the amount of posts].  :P
January 2, 2003, 10:42 PM

Search