Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | A data dump

AuthorMessageTime
laurion
This may sound kind of newbish, but how do you receive a data dump? Do you use a packetlogger and what the packetlogger receives is the dump?
April 22, 2003, 6:07 PM
tA-Kane
[quote author=laurion link=board=17;threadid=1124;start=0#msg8226 date=1051034856]How do you receive a data dump?[/quote]A "data dump" is quite a generic term.
[quote author=laurion link=board=17;threadid=1124;start=0#msg8226 date=1051034856]Do you use a packetlogger and what the packetlogger receives is the dump?[/quote]That is one form of a "data dump", yes, and that form is more commonly referred to as a packet log.
April 22, 2003, 11:00 PM
laurion
So I can't receive the data dump in VB? I have to use a packetlogger?
April 23, 2003, 12:53 AM
Yoni
A data dump is when there is data of any sort, and it's being dumped in some way, usually to the screen/terminal or to a log file.
This term is extremely context-specific. Could you tell us what type of data you might be talking about?
April 23, 2003, 2:03 AM
Camel
ugh, it's obvious what he wants, you pretentious jurx ::)

vb won't do what you want, you need a packet logger like ethereal
April 23, 2003, 2:22 AM
Yoni
Are Camel and laurion communicating on a subliminal level? I still don't know what laurion wants to do.

If you want to display a dump of everything going on in a TCP session that you control, you can certainly and easily do that in VB. Just make your own centralized Send function which dumps everything it sends before sending and also dump everything you receive before processing.

If you want to display a dump of a TCP session you don't control, it might be possible, but you'll have to go great lengths to get there and VB is certainly not the right tool for it.

If you want something else, I don't know.
April 23, 2003, 9:59 AM
laurion
[quote author=Yoni link=board=17;threadid=1124;start=0#msg8290 date=1051091964]
Are Camel and laurion communicating on a subliminal level? I still don't know what laurion wants to do.

If you want to display a dump of everything going on in a TCP session that you control, you can certainly and easily do that in VB. Just make your own centralized Send function which dumps everything it sends before sending and also dump everything you receive before processing.

If you want to display a dump of a TCP session you don't control, it might be possible, but you'll have to go great lengths to get there and VB is certainly not the right tool for it.

If you want something else, I don't know.
[/quote]
I want to do a TCP session that I control. How would I 'dump' the data? Please elaborate on the controlled session thing. Thanks.
April 23, 2003, 3:10 PM
Yoni
Well, first of all, you'll want a function that dumps data in a readable format:

[code]Function DumpHex(ByVal Data As String) As String
' Returns a readable string with the hex values of the ASCII characters in Data
' I'll let you fill this in...
End Sub
[/code]

Then, whenever you send data, instead of using SomeWinsockControl.SendData directly, you can do something like:

[code]Sub MySendData(ByVal Data As String)
Debug.Print "Sent: "
Debug.Print DumpHex(Data)
SomeWinsockControl.SendData Data
[/code]

And when you receive, you can do something like:

[code]Private Sub SomeWinsockControl_DataArrival(bytesTotal As Integer)
Dim Data As String
SomeWinsockControl.GetData Data
Debug.Print "Received: "
Debug.Print DumpHex(Data)
MyProcessingFunction Data
End Sub
[/code]
April 23, 2003, 3:40 PM
laurion
Thanks so much!!!!
April 23, 2003, 3:45 PM
St0rm.iD
I agree with Camel :)
I hate it when Spht and CupHead do shit like that too. It's annoying.
April 23, 2003, 11:21 PM
MesiaH
[quote author=Yoni link=board=17;threadid=1124;start=0#msg8307 date=1051112418]
Well, first of all, you'll want a function that dumps data in a readable format:

[code]Function DumpHex(ByVal Data As String) As String
' Returns a readable string with the hex values of the ASCII characters in Data
' I'll let you fill this in...
End Sub
[/code]
[/quote]

ahhem? this must be untested code, hence the fact your trying to end a sub that doesnt exist, end function silly!
April 23, 2003, 11:36 PM
Yoni
Err... Yeah. I wrote the code directly in the forum. DumpHex started out as a Sub, and morphed into a Function during the typing of the above post.

Just for the principle I'm not going to edit the post though. ;)

Edit: Hmm, just noticed MySendData has no End Sub either... Oh wlel.
April 24, 2003, 12:36 AM
MesiaH
as long as your not trying to use it, thats all that matters :P +1 to yoni for attempting to write vb code, and not caring about it.
April 24, 2003, 5:56 PM

Search