Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Pope is gone

AuthorMessageTime
CrAz3D
What did they say, he's been the pope for 28 years none & was the youngest man elected in decades & the 1st non-Italian in 500 years.  He's gone many places, now on to a new one
April 2, 2005, 8:26 PM
Newby
:(.
April 2, 2005, 8:29 PM
KkBlazekK
He died today?
April 2, 2005, 8:29 PM
CrAz3D
"The Holy Father is deceased this evening at 9:37 in his private apartment"

Something I saw they mentioned on the news that I thought was rather cool is that after he was shot like 5 times, he went to the prison & forgave the man that did it.
April 2, 2005, 8:30 PM
Mitosis
This is terrible!
April 2, 2005, 9:23 PM
KkBlazekK
:(  I'm not religious but still.
April 2, 2005, 9:23 PM
hismajesty
They've been preparing for his death for a few weeks now, getting burial arrangements ready and such. A bunch of Cardinals from the US have flown to the Vatican to begin their secret voting for a new Pope.
April 2, 2005, 9:47 PM
dRAgoN
He was a strong one right to the end, I need not say more.
April 2, 2005, 11:41 PM
Mitosis
My family and I have been watching the news for quite some time now. I hate how damn CNN talks while the mas is going on.
April 2, 2005, 11:44 PM
EpicOfTimeWasted
Sorry for being a heartless asshole (not really, but it sounds better that way)... but one less religious fanatic in the world isn't exactly something I'm going to shed a tear over.
April 2, 2005, 11:56 PM
hismajesty
He'll have a replacement, you heartless asshole.
April 3, 2005, 12:01 AM
Newby
[quote author=EpicOfTimeWasted link=topic=11162.msg107062#msg107062 date=1112486165]
Sorry for being a heartless asshole (not really, but it sounds better that way)... but one less religious fanatic in the world isn't exactly something I'm going to shed a tear over.
[/quote]

I had a feeling it was going to come to this. This is why you can't have a discussion on religious subjects, because people who disagree will speak their opinion, and it will turn into an argument.
April 3, 2005, 12:03 AM
hismajesty
I think this will cover any posts that will come:

[quote]I am appalled by the callousness displayed by some members of this group. Whether or not you yourself mourn the passing of the Pope, how does it hurt you to let people who do mourn him grieve without your mockery and ridicule?

I do not know any of you personally. I would not personally grieve over the loss of anyone you cared about, but I would offer my sympathy and respect your right to grieve as you see fit.

How unfeeling must you be to offer insults and rudeness at this time? How dare you be so inconsiderate of your fellow humans? I do not ask that you think of the Pope as a great man. You are free to like or dislike him and what he stood for. You are free to agree or disagree with his teachings. You are free to think and feel and say whatever you like, but exactly what do you think you're revealing about your character when you mock those who are distraught over the loss of a person of consequence to them?

I am tired of hearing the phrase "get over it." I am tired of thinking and feeling people being told to shut up, grow up, or lighten up. I don't know what more to say, except what I said at the beginning of this post: I am appalled.[/quote]
April 3, 2005, 12:05 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=11162.msg107039#msg107039 date=1112478447]
They've been preparing for his death for a few weeks now, getting burial arrangements ready and such. A bunch of Cardinals from the US have flown to the Vatican to begin their secret voting for a new Pope.
[/quote]The new pope has been touched by the previous pope on the chest with both hands for a very long time, officially making the person pope.  This goes back to Peter, or something...but anyway, without being ordained by the previous pope, the line is broken.  Too bad for religion.
April 3, 2005, 12:42 AM
Adron
Haha, well, God must've wanted him to die. He probably sucked.
April 3, 2005, 12:59 AM
Mitosis
How can you guys say that? Do you have no respect?
April 3, 2005, 1:15 AM
Quarantine
Having respect for an individual is your opinion, don't expect to influence others on this forum no matter how much you feel for it.
April 3, 2005, 1:19 AM
Adron
Well, if he God wanted him to live, he would've recovered. Apparently God wanted him to die. Why did God want him to die? Well, the shortest way of summarizing all kinds of reasons is: He probably sucked!
April 3, 2005, 1:23 AM
iago
He's just a man.  A human being.  Whether or not you're religious, somebody died.  That's all that really matters.  I'm not religious, and I don't care whether or not a Pope exists, but I was sorry to hear that a fellow human being passed.

Oh, and LOL @ Adron! I thought that, but I didn't think HE'D be the one to say it!
April 3, 2005, 1:43 AM
Mitosis
[quote author=Adron link=topic=11162.msg107089#msg107089 date=1112491389]
Well, if he God wanted him to live, he would've recovered. Apparently God wanted him to die. Why did God want him to die? Well, the shortest way of summarizing all kinds of reasons is: He probably sucked!
[/quote]

If God takes somebody off this planet for a reason, I don't think it's because he/she [quote] probably sucked! [/quote].
April 3, 2005, 1:51 AM
Kp
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=11162.msg107097#msg107097 date=1112493081]If God takes somebody off this planet for a reason, I don't think it's because he/she [quote]probably sucked![/quote][/quote]

So you presume to know God's intent?  If not, why do you think a divine being would need a better reason than "probably sucked"?
April 3, 2005, 1:57 AM
EpicOfTimeWasted
[quote author=person that hismajesty quoted]
How unfeeling must you be to offer insults and rudeness at this time? How dare you be so inconsiderate of your fellow humans? I do not ask that you think of the Pope as a great man. You are free to like or dislike him and what he stood for. You are free to agree or disagree with his teachings. You are free to think and feel and say whatever you like, but exactly what do you think you're revealing about your character when you mock those who are distraught over the loss of a person of consequence to them?
[/quote]

Anyone that tries to push their lifestyle onto me is a waste of precious oxygen as far as I'm concerned.  I actually have a couple very religious friends, and we get along just peachy.  They don't try to tell me how great their god is, and I don't tell them that I believe their god is nothing more than the creation of an ancient ancestor of Stephen King.  The pope is the head of an organization that does nothing more than preach about how their religion is the all binding word, hence my lack of care for his death.

[quote author=Adron link=topic=11162.msg107079#msg107079 date=1112489959]
[/quote]

I haven't laughed half as hard as I did when I read that in a LONG time.  That's good stuff..
April 3, 2005, 1:59 AM
KkBlazekK
Can we stop this arguing?
April 3, 2005, 2:02 AM
iago
Incidentally, there are different ways to believe in God.  I think it's pretty obvious (or should be) that God doesn't meddle in day-to-day affairs.  Everything that happens can be explained.  The Pope died because he was sick and old and his immune system wasn't strong enough to fight anything.  It has nothing to do with whether or not God liked him.

Perhaps God exists, perhaps there is an omnipotent being, perhaps he even shaped the Universe.  But it should be obvious that God doesn't actively do anything.
April 3, 2005, 2:28 AM
DrivE
Too bad. The loss of a good man.
April 3, 2005, 3:11 AM
Nabeshin
My feeling on this matter is that he seemed to be in a lot of pain and agony the last few weeks of his life, and now he is at peace.  I am not a Catholic, but I still feel the loss of The Pope.
May he rest in peace.
April 3, 2005, 4:15 AM
peofeoknight
[/quote] I am not a Catholic so I am not really offended by that, but I can see how that statement could be very offencive. That is very insensitive of you.
April 3, 2005, 4:34 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=iago link=topic=11162.msg107102#msg107102 date=1112495314]
But it should be obvious that God doesn't actively do anything.
[/quote] That is very debatable... I just do not feel like debating it.
April 3, 2005, 4:38 AM
Rule
In response to Adron's post,

[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=11162.msg107118#msg107118 date=1112502878]
That is very insensitive of you.
[/quote]

I agree.

April 3, 2005, 5:07 AM
LW-Falcon
Well at least hes not suffering anymore.
April 3, 2005, 7:01 AM
UserLoser.
Oh no, here goes some 15 page long thread about God and all that religious stuff :-X
April 3, 2005, 7:18 AM
Mangix
Religion sucks. There is a lot of stuff in the bible that does not contradict. I heard this is my clan channel and it was really interesting :P.
April 3, 2005, 7:29 AM
Adron
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=11162.msg107107#msg107107 date=1112497880]
Too bad. The loss of a good man.
[/quote]

I was thinking about that... Maybe the pope and the devil were fighting side by side to keep him alive. It would make some sense. The pope is God's servant, and he was getting weak. The devil would obviously do everything to keep God's servants weak, instead of letting a new, stronger, pope be elected. Just think about the vaccuum that could've resulted if the devil had succeeded in putting the pope into a vegetative state instead of dying - he could've laid there for years!
April 3, 2005, 4:26 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Mangix link=topic=11162.msg107136#msg107136 date=1112513370]
There is a lot of stuff in the bible that does not contradict.
[/quote]

How does that help your opinion that "Religion Sucks." hm?

I'm not Catholic, but I'm still religious. And, even though I'm not Catholic, I still feel for Cathloics, and for Christians in general. The Pope, as a human being and not a religious figure, was an extremely good man. Look at all the people out there raping and murdering children, I'd have no care if they died - but a man like the Pope, I definitely care about. He, again despite his religious connections, is still one of us - as iago said a human, and a good one at that. For that reason a lone, he deserves everyones sympathy and not their jokes. Many around the world are mourning, and the least you could do is keep your wise ass anti-religious comments to yourself.

I can't think of any religious group, besides the Puritans, that beleive God has his hand in everything. I personally have more of a Rationalist viewpoint on this, that God created a perfectly functional universe - like a clock - that is able to work without divine intervention. Now, I do think that God has his hand in some things. For example, there was a fire here at a Church - it was a massive fire, but after the fire was extinguished - there was hardly any damage at all. Nearly everything was still in perfect condition and the people investigating were amazed by that.

I don't think that if you pray to win the lottery, God will help you - though.
April 5, 2005, 10:46 PM
Hitmen
And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust!
April 6, 2005, 12:18 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=11162.msg107065#msg107065 date=1112486749]
I think this will cover any posts that will come:

[quote]I am appalled by the callousness displayed by some members of this group. Whether or not you yourself mourn the passing of the Pope, how does it hurt you to let people who do mourn him grieve without your mockery and ridicule?

I do not know any of you personally. I would not personally grieve over the loss of anyone you cared about, but I would offer my sympathy and respect your right to grieve as you see fit.

I am tired of hearing the phrase "get over it." I am tired of thinking and feeling people being told to shut up, grow up, or lighten up. I don't know what more to say, except what I said at the beginning of this post: I am appalled.[/quote]
[/quote]I like this dude, where is that quote from?

My overall general conclusion is that Adron is a heartless inconsiderate bastard...see my signature for supportive evidence.
EDIT: He is probably doing it to get a rise out of people, but that is besides the point
April 6, 2005, 12:47 AM
CrAz3D
We can't lock our own topics anymore?  (Could we ever?)  I seem to recall being able to lock my own posts here before, maybe it was another forum though. 

I request that we be able to lock our own topics, please & thank you.
April 6, 2005, 12:49 AM
iago
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=11162.msg107513#msg107513 date=1112748457]
EDIT: He is probably doing it to get a rise out of people, but that is besides the point
[/quote]

Duh :P
April 6, 2005, 1:20 AM
CrAz3D
I must lock my own topic still!
April 6, 2005, 1:24 AM
KoRRuPT
[/quote]

Haha.

[quote author=EpicOfTimeWasted link=topic=11162.msg107062#msg107062 date=1112486165]
[/quote]

I agree.
April 6, 2005, 1:36 AM
Adron
My overall general conclusion is that Adron is a heartless inconsiderate bastard...see my signature for supportive evidence.
[/quote]

Haha, you can at least conclude that I think religion is evil, and... Well, the pope is a representative of religion, one who spent his life working to spread AIDS in Africa. Now he's gone, perhaps there'll be a chance to save some lives.
April 6, 2005, 4:29 AM
KoRRuPT
Adron isn't heartless, he's just logicial, religion is false and "evil".

[quote]EDIT: He is probably doing it to get a rise out of people, but that is besides the point[/quote]

Possibly. I find it funny as hell.

[quote]Now he's gone, perhaps there'll be a chance to save some lives.[/quote]

Haha.
April 6, 2005, 4:38 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Akamas link=topic=11162.msg107573#msg107573 date=1112762289]
Adron isn't heartless, he's just logicial, religion is false and "evil".
[/quote] No, Adron is just trying to get a rise out of people, he is not being sensative to others and he is just being a flat out jerk. That is all there is to it really. This has nothing to do with religion at all in reality... it just has to do with Adron wanting to get a rise out of people because he thinks it is fun to piss others off that he does not agree with.
April 7, 2005, 12:32 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Adron link=topic=11162.msg107570#msg107570 date=1112761799]
[/quote]

Haha, you can at least conclude that I think religion is evil, and... Well, the pope is a representative of religion, one who spent his life working to spread AIDS in Africa. Now he's gone, perhaps there'll be a chance to save some lives.
[/quote] So you are saying that the pope is responsible for aids? Who woulda thunk it  ::)
April 7, 2005, 12:35 AM
Adron
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=11162.msg107704#msg107704 date=1112834118]
[quote author=Adron link=topic=11162.msg107570#msg107570 date=1112761799]
[/quote] So you are saying that the pope is responsible for aids? Who woulda thunk it  ::)
[/quote]

Yes, he is. His statements prohibiting the use of condoms have contributed greatly to the current AIDS situation among African catholics.
April 7, 2005, 4:16 AM
CrAz3D
...you REALLY think they could afford condoms? or care to use them even?
April 7, 2005, 4:24 AM
Adron
[quote author=CrAz3D link=topic=11162.msg107740#msg107740 date=1112847849]
...you REALLY think they could afford condoms? or care to use them even?
[/quote]

If the pope told them they had to use them, yes, that would make many people use them.
April 7, 2005, 1:31 PM
hismajesty
You don't need condoms if you're only having sex for reproductive purposes.
April 7, 2005, 10:43 PM
Adron
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=11162.msg107799#msg107799 date=1112913819]
You don't need condoms if you're only having sex for reproductive purposes.
[/quote]

True, but the pope's influence isn't strong enough to keep sex to reproductive purposes only. That would require way more pressure than just influencing them to use condoms (or as currently, influence them to not use condoms and instead transfer HIV virus).
April 8, 2005, 2:42 AM

Search