Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | New computer 'project'

AuthorMessageTime
Fr0z3N
Well I have a job and a crappy comp. I had a friend over today and even he was ragging on my comp. It runs great and I love it but maybe its time for a new one.

Right now the first things I want to think about are a power supply (only the best there) and a computer case (don't know if there's such thing as a good or bad one but I want something flashy to fill with neons)

For example, this one caught my eye.

[img]http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/A406-1010.jpg[/img]

Anyway since I'm not one for picking out good stuff or shopping around I was hoping some of you guys could help.
March 19, 2005, 1:01 AM
The-Rabid-Lord
First of all your an idiot(Sorry). Power supplys wont do much a $25 power supply will do a great job. The main thing to worry about is processing speed, and memory etc. A good case is nice but dont sacrifice better components just for a nice case. Adter all who is going to see your computer bar you and some friends.
What kind of applications do you wnat it to run?
March 19, 2005, 1:05 AM
Adron
[quote author=Meh - (S-1-0-0) link=topic=10959.msg104455#msg104455 date=1111194305]
First of all your an idiot(Sorry). Power supplys wont do much a $25 power supply will do a great job.
[/quote]

First of all your an idiot(Sorry). A bad power supply will totally ruin your computer.
March 19, 2005, 1:11 AM
Fr0z3N
[quote author=Meh - (S-1-0-0) link=topic=10959.msg104455#msg104455 date=1111194305]
First of all your an idiot(Sorry). Power supplys wont do much a $25 power supply will do a great job. The main thing to worry about is processing speed, and memory etc. A good case is nice but dont sacrifice better components just for a nice case. Adter all who is going to see your computer bar you and some friends.
What kind of applications do you wnat it to run?
[/quote]

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to computer power supplys, talk to Grok. He helped me buy my last power supply for my server (Thanks alot) a couple years ago and I have never regreted it unlike some power supplys I've had to deal with.

You don't need to know what I want to do to help me find a case/power supply.

I'll see my case, I have to live with it and why would I spend money on something that I don't like when I could have something I like, right now my current case looks like shit and it's all I can think about.

Edit: Forgot to post my most recent findings::

6 Questions to Answer Before Buying a Case
Today's PC builder is confronted with a staggering array of choices when it comes to selecting a computer case. The computer case is the most visible part of your system and not only makes a statement about the kind of computer system that lurks beneath the chassis but about the person who operates the PC as well. Do you go for looks, functionality, expandability, cooling ability? The savvy buyer should be able to find a case that delivers all of those qualities. To help you make your selection we've created the following brief checklist detailing what you should consider and look for in your quest to find the ideal computer case.

1 - What Size Case do you Want?
Computer cases come in two main configurations - desktop or tower. Towers - by far the most prevalent - come in three sizes - mini, mid or full. The larger cases (full) allow more component space and provide easy access than the smaller cases, but take up lots of room. For the vast majority of users a mid-tower case is the most sensible choice. Typical mid-tower ATX cases provide a good balance of bays and features. However, if you want to save space and are leaning toward a mini-tower case, make sure it is compatible with the motherboard you select and is expandable enough to meet your future needs. As a matter of fact, always make sure your motherboard of choice is compatible with the computer case you are considering.

2 - What kind of construction are you looking for?
Most cases are made of expensive steel, but more and more aluminum cases are being manufactured, mainly because they are lightweight and do a better job of conducting internal heat to the outside. It's a good idea to look for finished or beveled edges, as opposed to sharp edges that can result in painful cuts and scraps when you work on the case. If you opt for a lightweight case, however, make sure it's sturdy enough to support the weight of a monitor, if it's your intention to place one on top.

3 - Does the case's layout support what the peripherals and components of your system? Does it have front mounted ports for USB, FireWire and audio? How many 3.5-inch and 5.25-inch drive bays do you need? Drive bays are the spaces in the system case where you mount your hard disk, floppy, CD-ROM, tape and other drives. If you choose a case that has too few drive bays you will be out of luck when it comes to expanding your PC system. Also, make sure the drive bays are accessible.

4 - What size power supply do you need?
Most computer cases that come with power supplies provide 300 to 350 watts and this is sufficient for most systems. If you are an extreme PC user or gamer you might consider buying a bigger power supply separately.

5 - How much cooling do you need?
If you are building a powerful system it will generate more heat than an ordinary PC. Therefore, you will need to select a case with a more advanced cooling system. A spacious, well laid-out case is a critical part of proper system cooling. Make sure the case is well ventilated, has good airflow between the front and back so it protects components such as the CPU and video card, and has high-performance cooling fans. All the power cables that lead from the motherboard to the power supply should be neatly aligned. Note: rounded IDE cables promote better airflow within the case. Make sure the case has enough room for expansion cards to stand upright and unimpeded. If there are cards installed they should be spaced apart to allow a cooler airflow to the circuitry. If you are building a super powerful PC you might want to make sure your case will allow you to add extra fans as needed.

6 - Can the case be modified?
If you want to add extra fans, drive bays, lights or other modifications, make sure the case you're considering has sufficient space for them.

After reading this and considering the questions, I find myself saying I want a tall (full) tower with good airflow because I rarely turn off my pc and at the moment when you the the HDD's they're extremly hot, the material its made of doesn't matter but aluminum is prefered, right now I am using 3 CD slots, a floppy slot and 2 HDD slots and my comp is FULL, it's so hard to work on. But for the new comp I'm thinking about going with USB drives. I'm going to need a good power supply for fans with neons and if I feel like it, neon sticks.
March 19, 2005, 1:12 AM
The-Rabid-Lord
But you dont need an expensive one for it to run well. I have found out frome xpierience that most expensive products are rubbish and break very quickley yet older ones and cheaper ones last longer. Take my HD for example. My main HD for my OSD is a 15GB 3 year old(unbranded). Yet a new 40 GB WD broke withing weeks. A power supply would aslo depend on what you want to run. Its pointless have a "beast" if you dont want to run much hardware.
March 19, 2005, 1:14 AM
Fr0z3N
[quote author=Meh - (S-1-0-0) link=topic=10959.msg104460#msg104460 date=1111194872]
But you dont need an expensive one for it to run well. I have found out frome xpierience that most expensive products are rubbish and break very quickley yet older ones and cheaper ones last longer. Take my HD for example. My main HD for my OSD is a 15GB 3 year old(unbranded). Yet a new 40 GB WD broke withing weeks. A power supply would aslo depend on what you want to run. Its pointless have a "beast" if you dont want to run much hardware.
[/quote]

It really depends on what you get, I've yet to have an expensive power supply on all 6 of my computers fail while 5 previously 'old' ones have all failed causing me alot of aggravation. I still have a 2gb harddrive from WAY WAY back, it still works but I don't care, technologly is moving on, not back. That's why it sits in my closet while my 120 sits in my PC. From personal experience, I've never had a HDD crap out on me. My dad has, not me. I'm pretty sure what I run will need a good power supply (2 cd/(dvd?) burners, 1 temp/fan monitor, fans/neons, and all the usual sound card, vid card, motherboard etc.
March 19, 2005, 1:23 AM
The-Rabid-Lord
The best thing to do in my opinion is to buy from ebuyer or newegg or a place that supplies reviews from customers(unless you buy from a local shop) that way you have a better idea of what your getting.
March 19, 2005, 1:26 AM
Myndfyr
I actually have a case rather like that one.  It came with lights built in, which I don't like, but am too lazy to take off.  The nice thing is that it had 7 fans preinstalled.  I knew it was a winner.  :)
March 19, 2005, 2:19 AM
Fr0z3N
Wow, link me to that one!
March 19, 2005, 2:26 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Adron link=topic=10959.msg104457#msg104457 date=1111194705]
First of all your an idiot(Sorry). Power supplys wont do much a $25 power supply will do a great job.
[/quote]

First of all your an idiot(Sorry). A bad power supply will totally ruin your computer.
[/quote] You can get a name brand power supply for 25 bucks. So I agree with meh. I agree with you, but you can get a safe psu for 25.
March 19, 2005, 2:42 AM
Soul Taker
Your hard drive broke so fast because it was a WD.  Kind of known for that.  I would never buy a shit PSU since I just had another one die on me, how annoying.
March 19, 2005, 3:29 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Soul Taker link=topic=10959.msg104480#msg104480 date=1111202966]
Your hard drive broke so fast because it was a WD.  Kind of known for that.  I would never buy a shit PSU since I just had another one die on me, how annoying.
[/quote] I have had a WD die on my before too... just die. No warning. But it was under warranty so I got a new one. I have never had this happen with seagate samsung or maxtor. I do not trust maxtor though. That being said I have never had a seagate die on me ever, the only samsung I have had die on me was because I wanted to mod it and put plexy glass on the top so I could see it spinning, but it didn't spin after I was done with it, big suprise.

I refuse to ever  buy another wd hard drive or another maxtor, if they are given to me that is fine, but if I buy a hard drive it is going to be seagate or samsung.
March 19, 2005, 6:08 PM
Adron
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=10959.msg104469#msg104469 date=1111198785]
I actually have a case rather like that one.  It came with lights built in, which I don't like, but am too lazy to take off.  The nice thing is that it had 7 fans preinstalled.  I knew it was a winner.  :)
[/quote]

Doesn't it make a lot of noise with 7 fans?
March 19, 2005, 7:30 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Adron link=topic=10959.msg104547#msg104547 date=1111260655]
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=10959.msg104469#msg104469 date=1111198785]
[/quote]

Doesn't it make a lot of noise with 7 fans?
[/quote]

It's pretty quiet despite the numbers.  I'm kept up more by the lights than the noise generated, but I haven't had a problem yet.  Plus, with the extra air movement, I keep my bedroom 5-7 degrees (F) warmer than the rest of the house, especially if I'm playing games.  :)

Unfortunately I can't link it to you.  I bought it at a Fry's Electronics store, not online.
March 19, 2005, 7:58 PM
Thing
http://www.antec.com/us/
March 19, 2005, 8:14 PM
Invert
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=10959.msg104472#msg104472 date=1111200154]
[quote author=Adron link=topic=10959.msg104457#msg104457 date=1111194705]
[/quote]

[/quote] You can get a name brand power supply for 25 bucks. So I agree with meh. I agree with you, but you can get a safe psu for 25.
[/quote]

My name brand $25 power supply melted the inside of my old computer incuding the HD. You get what you pay for.
March 24, 2005, 2:38 AM
crankycefx
Antec makes awesome psu and cases.

I've got an awesome Lian Li case.

Size is a factor, of course.  Consider all the specs in regards to where you're placing your PC and what you're going to put inside it.
Higher end pc = wise to get a non stock cooling system (add fans and a cpu heatsink?)
Altho I run stock cpu heatsink and 5 fans.

Whatever floats your boat, man. :)
March 24, 2005, 7:08 AM

Search