Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | Noob Here Needs Help

AuthorMessageTime
Sniper9392
So Far I Have Been Learning VB (Duh) and all i no how to do is click a button get an answer and it unloads and make msgboxes. i would like to learn more. :)
March 18, 2005, 10:20 PM
Quarantine
Good for you.
Start off by learning the different data types and string manipulation is a must.
You might want to learn how to use Arrays, Enumerations, and Structures.

Once your more along the road look into Network programming (making a simple chat server).

You might want to learn how to manipulate Data sent to you over a network (DWORDs, WORDs, BYTEs, etc..) since it is a good skill to have if you ever desire to work on a Battle.net Bot or whatever.

One last thing I recommend learning is the Windows API since it allows you to play with various things which often is really cool to do.

I know there may be more I am not thinking off but I'm late for CS.
March 18, 2005, 11:33 PM
LivedKrad
How about learning the simple intrinsic functions first? Or, learning to use and manipulate the simpler ActiveX controls sent with the Visual Basic runtimes?
March 18, 2005, 11:56 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
Also learn how to double-click controls to bring up their default function in the code window!
March 19, 2005, 2:12 PM
Quarantine
That would be a tutorial on knowing your way around the IDE :P
March 23, 2005, 6:22 PM
UnLeaDeD
If statements are good to learn which would be included in warriors arrays.
Another good thing to learn is the variable types VB uses (String, Double, Single, Integer, etc.), and mess around adding and subtracting Numbers.
April 21, 2005, 1:45 AM
LivedKrad
'If' statements is too specific, I'd recommend grabbing a book that not only 'brushes up', but goes into great deal on conditionals. Conditionals being statements that generally control code flow, there are a few types of them. The two greatest of these, are the switches and the 'If' conditionals of course. (When I say switches, in Visual Basic 6 I mean "Cases").

As I had said before, I think a good place to start would be with a book that goes into detail about using and manipulating ActiveX controls and how they apply to a form or project altogether.
April 21, 2005, 12:28 PM
NetNX
[quote author=Sniper9392 link=topic=10956.msg104432#msg104432 date=1111184436]
So Far I Have Been Learning VB (Duh) and all i no how to do is click a button get an answer and it unloads and make msgboxes. i would like to learn more. :)
[/quote]

Sounds worse then me ~~''
April 21, 2005, 2:39 PM
InSeCuRe
The best place to start is not with all that crap... start by reading BOOKS.  There are lots of books.  Go to the library or get an e-book and READ READ READ... as much as you might not want to they help a great deal.

Ask LivedKradd he use to tell me the same thing and finally I did and it works a great deal!
April 21, 2005, 3:34 PM
Yegg
If you don't want to buy/borrow books. http://www.programmingtutorials.com is also a great place to go to.
April 21, 2005, 5:08 PM
Quarantine
I used vbtutor.net(or .org or .com) it helped me (after I knew my way around the IDE) taught some valuable stuff (ie: Arrays) and conditional statements. Very good tutorials there.
April 21, 2005, 8:21 PM
LivedKrad
I have an address to an IRC server run by TehUser that has literally thousands of technical related eBooks, many of them valued at over $150 dollars. If you would like this server and don't already know it, please PM me.

Note: The reason I'm not publicly posting it is because I'm not sure if TehUser would like the amount of users this post would be sure to bring.
April 22, 2005, 12:30 PM

Search