Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Thing-O-Rama ™ | Phoebia's (is that how u spell it)

AuthorMessageTime
QwertyMonster
Yeah Phoebia's.

I have got the worst one ever. I have a phoebia of tummy aches and being sick. My family sometimes trick me and i get so nervous. Well basically, how can u overcome phoebias, and how can i overcome mine?

Tell us your phoebias (if u want to :P). Basically a discussion on Phoebias ;)
March 12, 2005, 7:42 PM
Spht
[quote author=QwertyMonster link=topic=10901.msg103508#msg103508 date=1110656524]
Yeah Phoebia's.

I have got the worst one ever. I have a phoebia of tummy aches and being sick. My family sometimes trick me and i get so nervous. Well basically, how can u overcome phoebias, and how can i overcome mine?
[/quote]

You have a phobia of yourself getting a stomach ache and being sick, or when others have those symtoms it makes you uneasy?

If you fear getting sick, then that sounds pretty normal and I wouldn't worry about it.  Please clarify before I dianose you.
March 12, 2005, 8:40 PM
hismajesty
I have a fear of being buried alive, a fear of spiders, a fear of snakes, a fear of most bugs, a fear of people, a fear of germs caused by contact with people (sneezing, etc.), fear of being less-than perfect in certain things, fear of being embarrased, and a few others.

I find that bringing hand sanitizer with me wherever I go. (I have three personal-sized bottles and one bathroom bottle, at the moment) helps with the germ thing.

I stay away from bugs, and snakes.

Fear of people is weird, it just depends on what people. I'm not sure if it's really a phobia as it's just anxiety. I'm afraid to call people unless they're family, and I'm afraid to go into stores sometimes by myself. It generally isn't a problem, I guess, but I was on medication for it when I was younger. I avoid people I don't know, and people I do know. I used to be apart of the "popular" group but seperated myself from them pretty much as I didn't think they were really my friends and I was imposing on them. I have trouble starting a conversation with people, which sucks...a lot.

I also have a mild case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, a pretty severe case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, a moderate case of Borderline Personality Disorder and Paranoid Personality Disorder. I am also beleived to have Schizotypal Personality Disorder and Avoidant Personality Disorder, among other things.

If your phobias/obsessions/compulsions occupy over an hour of your day, you need to go see a physciatrist. I haven't been to one in awhile, since I can keep most things under control, but I'm thinking of going back for anxiety medication. You might need some type of medication as well.

Also, you may want to try something I've been using a lot the past few days - Holosync. It's just the demo, which is 20 minutes, but it's pretty powerful. The first part of the full version costs $160, and has known to be recommended by physciatrists and such. It works by playing two different sound frequencies of the same pitch into each ear, respectively. Once you entrain your brain to this type of thing, your brainwaves will synchronize to the difference in frequencies. This type of thing puts your brain into delta state, which is like a trance state and you can easily lose thought of your surroundings. One time while doing it I opened my eyes and my vision had like crystalish things in front of it. Anyway, overall this puts you into a really relaxed state and can get rid of old haunting memories permanently if you continue doing it. It also brings not-so-haunting memories to surface, I had some pretty realistic/awkward dreams both nights when I went to sleep while listening to it. It's a really pleasurable feeling too, I guess it's kind of like a drug only safe, non-adicitive, and legal.

It's also been known to cure mental disorders such as anxiety, and other personality disorders.

--

If you think you have some type of mental disorder, you may want to take this online quiz. And, although it's not 100% accurate and is no substitute for a proper examination by a doctor, it will give you some insight into what you [might] have.  Though, I don't think a fear of getting a stomach ache is anything to raise any concern.

Just for fun, here is my results:

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: High
Schizoid: Moderate
Schizotypal: High
Antisocial: High
Borderline: Moderate
Histrionic: High
Narcissistic: Very High
Avoidant: High
Dependent: Low
Obsessive-Compulsive: High

As you can see, some of those contradict each other and some that return high don't even fit me and are the complete opposites of what real people have said I have and such. Oh well, some of it's right at least - I guess you have to decide the accuracy on a case by case basis.

HTH
March 12, 2005, 9:05 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=10901.msg103524#msg103524 date=1110661542]
I have a fear of being buried alive, a fear of spiders, a fear of snakes, a fear of most bugs, a fear of people, a fear of germs caused by contact with people (sneezing, etc.), and a few others.

I find that bringing hand sanitizer with me wherever I go. (I have three personal-sized bottles and one bathroom bottle, at the moment) helps with the germ thing.

I stay away from bugs, and snakes.
[/quote]
A healthy respect of bugs, snakes and germs is all you need, you have more bugs and germs on you than you know and it doesn't hurt you. Being buried alive is a common phobia, and although it's a scary thought, it shouldn't constantly be on your mind.

[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=10901.msg103524#msg103524 date=1110661542]
Fear of people is weird, it just depends on what people. I'm not sure if it's really a phobia as it's just anxiety. I'm afraid to call people unless they're family, and I'm afraid to go into stores sometimes by myself. It generally isn't a problem, I guess, but I was on medication for it when I was younger.
[/quote]
I had social anxiety disorder for a long time, just getting out with friends and such helped me alot. I still feel sometimes intimidated by other people, and doing some things make me nervous, but you can get over it slowly. I am a firm believer that going to the gym daily has given me most of the confidence I needed/gained. These sites helped me overcome a few things.
www.shyrelease.com
www.shyandfree.com
shyness.censorshipfree.com

I also have a mild case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, a pretty severe case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, a moderate case of Borderline Personality Disorder. I am also beleived to have Schizotypal Personality Disorder and Avoidant Personality Disorder, among other things.

If your phobias/obsessions/compulsions occupy over an hour of your day, you need to go see a physciatrist. I haven't been to one in awhile, since I can keep most things under control, but I'm thinking of going back for anxiety medication. You might need some type of medication as well.
[/quote]
It sounds like your just unsure of alot of things, as I don't quite see how someone can be afflicted with so many different things. Try going out with friends to public places, meet new people, and read those shyness sites.

Also, you may want to try something I've been using a lot the past few days - Holosync. It's just the demo, which is 20 minutes, but it's pretty powerful. The first part of the full version costs $160, and has known to be recommended by physciatrists and such. It works by playing two different sound frequencies of the same pitch into each ear, respectively. Once you entrain your brain to this type of thing, your brainwaves will synchronize to the difference in frequencies. This type of thing puts your brain into delta state, which is like a trance state and you can easily lose thought of your surroundings. One time while doing it I opened my eyes and my vision had like crystalish things in front of it. Anyway, overall this puts you into a really relaxed state and can get rid of old haunting memories permanently if you continue doing it. It also brings not-so-haunting memories to surface, I had some pretty realistic/awkward dreams both nights when I went to sleep while listening to it. It's a really pleasurable feeling too, I guess it's kind of like a drug only safe, non-adicitive, and legal.

It's also been known to cure mental disorders such as anxiety, and other personality disorders.
[/quote]
Don't pay $160 for that crap, you can make it yourself with a free program. What it does is emitts 2 different frequencies in stereo, one in each ear. These frequencies differ by 2-12 hz, your brain takes them and makes them one, causing it to go into states of lowered consciousness. I don't remember this on it's own being enough to alter yourself, I thought you had to have some sort of therapy and try to concentrate/focuse on the change you want to make while listening to it. It generally takes 5-10 minutes to take effect, and after 30 minutes people have experienced all sorts of hallucinations and such, it's neat.

I've also been told that if you listen to this while you sleep, you experience lucid dreams.
March 12, 2005, 9:25 PM
hismajesty
@lucid dreams: yes. I've had some pretty cool ones, but I really can't remember them too much. I put the demo on my iPod, and put it in my iSkin and then under my pillow. I hope I don't strangle myself with the headphones, though I don't think that can happen.

[quote]It sounds like your just unsure of alot of things, as I don't quite see how someone can be afflicted with so many different things. [/quote]

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is common in my family, and my Anxiety (and the related personality disorders) were more or less caused by my mom according to her. I was never allowed to get dirty, or anything like that, and I wasn't allowed to be around people for fear of my life. (My biological wasn't the 'nicest' man (or most model citizen), and after my mom left him made death threats and stuff - especially after he was arrested. My mom left him I think mainly because of drugs, she didn't do them but he did. He used to spend diper money on cocaine and stuff.)

I don't like being touched, or people being in my comfort zone. This could be related to the fact that I got touched A LOT as a child by random people because I had red hair and people just love touching it/commenting on it. (and they still do.)

Borderline is a relation to social anxiety, but I'm not a threat to myself I don't think so it's not too severe.

Narcissistic personality disorder is caused by child hood events, mostly. My mom was single for awhile and did everything for me - and I pretty much didn't allow her to do stuff with friends/dates, whatever so I had her all to myself. It's not really a bad disorder, it's just a high level of arrogance/self-centerdness/etc. It's definitely noticeable when I'm with people, or on the phone. I have a lot of trouble holding a conversation about stuff besides myself while on the phone, oh well.

Schizotypal is unrelated, it's mild schizophrenia basically.
[quote]Many believe that schizotypal personality disorder represents mild schizophrenia. The disorder is characterized by odd forms of thinking and perceiving, and individuals with this disorder often seek isolation from others. They sometimes believe to have extra sensory ability or that unrelated events relate to them in some important way. They generally engage in eccentric behavior and have difficulty concentrating for long periods of time. Their speech is often over elaborate and difficult to follow.[/quote]

--

I've contemplated going to the gym, but I can't see myself doing it and not freaking out in there or having an anxiety attack. I'm not fat or anything, I'm about 6'4 and 175-180 pounds. I've read that for my height I should weigh about 200+ pounds. I'm not too strong, and I think that's why I'd be worried about being in the gym. I even get nervous just going to the school gym during PE. I also want to go to the tanning booth, as I have red hair and thus very fair skin. I burn easily, which is one reason I want to tan a bit + it just looks better when paired with bright spring colors (which I like.) *shrug*
March 12, 2005, 9:29 PM
QwertyMonster
[quote author=Spht link=topic=10901.msg103522#msg103522 date=1110660003]
[quote author=QwertyMonster link=topic=10901.msg103508#msg103508 date=1110656524]
Yeah Phoebia's.

[/quote]

You have a phobia of yourself getting a stomach ache and being sick, or when others have those symtoms it makes you uneasy?

If you fear getting sick, then that sounds pretty normal and I wouldn't worry about it.  Please clarify before I dianose you.
[/quote]

A fear of ME being sick and getting tummy aches. And in general i dont really like people being sick or saying they feel it :'(

Edit:

I also have a fear of germs.  I like to wash my hands alot, and be very clean. Hm weird eh lol
March 12, 2005, 9:34 PM
j0k3r
I use hand sanitizer every time I come home from public, I use a clean towel everytime I wash my hands, and clean my basement and room weekly. Some would characterize this as a disorder, I don't, I just like being clean.
March 12, 2005, 9:46 PM
hismajesty
Yes, I do too. That's why I didn't put 'germophobic' under my list because I just prefer to be physically sanitary.
March 12, 2005, 9:47 PM
QwertyMonster
[quote author=j0k3r link=topic=10901.msg103529#msg103529 date=1110663965]
I use hand sanitizer every time I come home from public, I use a clean towel everytime I wash my hands, and clean my basement and room weekly. Some would characterize this as a disorder, I don't, I just like being clean.
[/quote]

Wow im not a weird person!

it seems My sick phoebia is normal, according to Spht.

And my germ thing isnt much either. But i do get scared with my sick phoebia, if i get a tummy ache, ill start to shake, get scared and get nervous and PANIC!

And then when i panic the tummy ache gets worse but im never sick.

It all started last year:

I got a real bad tummy ache before christmas. Sick if i ate nething. And it all started there.

Any ideas how i can calm myself down?

i can tell what tummy aches are what now (im 12 btw).

I need techniques for calming myself down.

Help plsh  ;D
March 12, 2005, 9:56 PM
hismajesty
I think I was 12 I had become mature enough to use the word 'stomach.' :P
March 13, 2005, 12:09 AM
QwertyMonster
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=10901.msg103559#msg103559 date=1110672580]
I think I was 12 I had become mature enough to use the word 'stomach.' :P
[/quote]

Heh. Well tummy / stomach are the same. 'Tummy' might sound lame, but thats the first word that came my in head  :-\
March 13, 2005, 10:20 AM
CrAz3D
I am CONSTANTLY reflecting back on stupid things that I did, wishing I had done it differently.  Also, I am always aph33rd that I might do something else stupid
March 13, 2005, 6:08 PM
QwertyMonster
[quote author=An idiot link=topic=10901.msg103626#msg103626 date=1110737289]
I am CONSTANTLY reflecting back on stupid things that I did, wishing I had done it differently.  Also, I am always aph33rd that I might do something else stupid
[/quote]

What stuipid things did you do?
March 13, 2005, 6:29 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=QwertyMonster link=topic=10901.msg103628#msg103628 date=1110738545]
[/quote]

[/quote]hmm, I can't really think of any right now, they just randomly pop into my head sometimes.  I guess it isn't always things I did, sometimes things I should've done differently.

Something I should've done differently applies to girls in alot of cases
March 13, 2005, 8:06 PM
iago
[quote author=An idiot link=topic=10901.msg103652#msg103652 date=1110744413]
[quote author=QwertyMonster link=topic=10901.msg103628#msg103628 date=1110738545]
[/quote]

[/quote]hmm, I can't really think of any right now, they just randomly pop into my head sometimes.  I guess it isn't always things I did, sometimes things I should've done differently.

Something I should've done differently applies to girls in alot of cases
[/quote]

I think the word for that is "regrets". 
March 13, 2005, 8:17 PM
hismajesty
No there's actually a mental disorder that forces you to rethink what you did over and over. I think it might be apart of OCD, not sure. I do that too all the time - I play events out in my head over and over and over and think of different scenarios and their outcomes, etc.
March 13, 2005, 10:03 PM
KkBlazekK
I wish I could do that.. The most I can do is imagine things that aren't there are there, My brain says things are there, but my eyes tell my brain otherwise. Things just apear then disapear really quickly rapidly. I'm Weird.
March 13, 2005, 10:38 PM
iago
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=10901.msg103668#msg103668 date=1110751424]
No there's actually a mental disorder that forces you to rethink what you did over and over. I think it might be apart of OCD, not sure. I do that too all the time - I play events out in my head over and over and over and think of different scenarios and their outcomes, etc.
[/quote]

I do that to, to some extent.  I think it's perfectly normal to consider "what if..." situations after making a decision, especially an important one. 

One example is a job interview.  I doubt there's anybody who doesn't leave a job interview thinking, "would it have went better if I said this? or that?"  It's the same idea as dreaming -- just replaying events and trying to make sense of them.

I think that you're far too eager to label anything that you consider abnormal in yourself to be a mental disorder.  The difference between a normal person and a person with OCD (in my opinion) is that somebody with OCD is obsessive about what they do.  Things like trying to keep clean, replaying events mentally, liking things to be neat, liking things in a certain order, etc, are all perfectly normal.  It's even normal for that to bother people.  I know plenty of people, including myself, who are bothered by disorder, and I don't think they have OCD because it's not a major integral part of their lives. 

That's my opinion anyway.  I'm no psychiatrist, although there appears to be one sitting next to me, studying from a psychology textbook.  But I don't think I'm going to bug her about this :)
March 14, 2005, 6:30 PM
hismajesty
Of course it's normal, but I get really bad headaches when stuff bothers me - sudden migranes. I used to refer to them as simply thinking cramps, but I've been told that's not what they are.

And as far as labeling myself whatever, I was on medication to help a lot of that stuff when I was younger...
March 14, 2005, 11:44 PM

Search