Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | getting started with c++

AuthorMessageTime
Laff
yeh so i've decided to do a VERY basic chat bot for my term project in my gui class this term. by very basic i mean i want code to connect to the server, do minimal things, and slap an interface on it. however i can't find anything that i can actually get to compile in vs.net. anyone wanna help me out here? please don't give me vb code, as i did that like 5 years ago and i don't need to see it again. =/

thanks in advance!

laff
April 18, 2003, 5:34 AM
Skywing
[quote author=Laff link=board=17;threadid=1082;start=0#msg8020 date=1050644098]
yeh so i've decided to do a VERY basic chat bot for my term project in my gui class this term. by very basic i mean i want code to connect to the server, do minimal things, and slap an interface on it. however i can't find anything that i can actually get to compile in vs.net. anyone wanna help me out here? please don't give me vb code, as i did that like 5 years ago and i don't need to see it again. =/

thanks in advance!

laff
[/quote]
Are you using managed (.NET) C++, or standard C++?

The following assumes you're using Win32/standard C++:

Since these files are becoming increasingly difficult to find (Blizzard's cleared out GreetBot from their FTP after just over 5 years), I've decided to mirror them.

The original GreetBot, written by Scott Coleman in March of 1998.
Rabidmouse's MFC mod of GreetBot, written in May of 1998.

Since these can still be found without too much digging, I'd recommend you not just wholesale copy and paste code, but use them as a reference.
April 18, 2003, 1:10 PM
Laff
thanks but i can get neither of those to work. greetbot never connects (assuming the log is correct) and winbot sits there and does nothing. brings up the window and thats it. anything else you can offer?
April 18, 2003, 4:04 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Laff link=board=17;threadid=1082;start=0#msg8056 date=1050681892]
thanks but i can get neither of those to work. greetbot never connects (assuming the log is correct) and winbot sits there and does nothing. brings up the window and thats it. anything else you can offer?
[/quote]Battle.net no longer supports Guest logons, and the server address might be incorrect (you cannot log in as chat by connecting to "battle.net", try "exodus.battle.net" for compatibility -- Blizzard will have to support exodus.battle.net indefinitely, because it's the only hostname present in the server list for Starcraft/Diablo retail (1.00 from CD).
April 18, 2003, 4:31 PM
Laff
well here's what i tried. i made a new account on lordaeron (uswest) and put that info in as my login. still did nothing. i would try your exodus idea, although i don't have sc or diablo so i don't know how i'm supposed to get an account ;)
April 18, 2003, 4:41 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Laff link=board=17;threadid=1082;start=0#msg8058 date=1050684094]
well here's what i tried. i made a new account on lordaeron (uswest) and put that info in as my login. still did nothing. i would try your exodus idea, although i don't have sc or diablo so i don't know how i'm supposed to get an account ;)
[/quote]
You can't use Warcraft III accounts from a Chat connection. The only valid username if you don't have an account is 'Anonymous'; however, the server doesn't prompt for a password for this account, so the 'password' you send will be treated as a normal text message by the server (try setting it to something like /whoami).
April 18, 2003, 4:57 PM
Laff
sweet it works with Anonymous, but how can i get an account. why wouldn't the war3 accounts work if i'm connecting to uswest.battle.net? what about a diablo2 account? i could always just use my brothers sc to make an account on exodus i suppose...ideas? thanks for the help too!
April 18, 2003, 5:01 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Laff link=board=17;threadid=1082;start=0#msg8060 date=1050685278]
sweet it works with Anonymous, but how can i get an account. why wouldn't the war3 accounts work if i'm connecting to uswest.battle.net? what about a diablo2 account? i could always just use my brothers sc to make an account on exodus i suppose...ideas? thanks for the help too!
[/quote]
Warcraft III accounts cannot be used because they are on a seperate namespace. Chat, Diablo, Starcraft, Brood War, Warcraft II: BNE, Diablo II, and Lord of Destruction all share the same namespace.
April 18, 2003, 5:10 PM
Laff
so what you're saying is i can use broodwar, make an account, then use it for my bot?

also another question: i've heard that bots can only be in public channels and blizzard tech support now. true? any way around that (i'm guessing that's what the 'binary bots' are that i'm hearing about, and that they supply the server with cdkey and all that goodness. i'm betting that's a bitch and outside the scope of this project. after all, it's a gui class not a networking class ;) )
April 18, 2003, 7:12 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Laff link=board=17;threadid=1082;start=0#msg8065 date=1050693178]
so what you're saying is i can use broodwar, make an account, then use it for my bot?[/quote]
Yes.
[quote author=Laff link=board=17;threadid=1082;start=0#msg8065 date=1050693178]also another question: i've heard that bots can only be in public channels and blizzard tech support now. true?[/quote]
Yes, for non-sysop chatbots this is the case.
[quote author=Laff link=board=17;threadid=1082;start=0#msg8065 date=1050693178]any way around that (i'm guessing that's what the 'binary bots' are that i'm hearing about, and that they supply the server with cdkey and all that goodness.[/quote]
Yes.
[quote author=Laff link=board=17;threadid=1082;start=0#msg8065 date=1050693178] i'm betting that's a bitch and outside the scope of this project.[/quote]
Yes, unless you rip the vast majority of your code from somebody else, which would probably be frowned upon for a programming class project.
[quote author=Laff link=board=17;threadid=1082;start=0#msg8065 date=1050693178] after all, it's a gui class not a networking class ;) )
[/quote]
April 18, 2003, 7:17 PM
Laff
then it's all good being limited, because i already know how to do that ;)
April 18, 2003, 11:42 PM

Search