Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Permanent IP ban from Bnet?

AuthorMessageTime
Lenny
I'm beginning to think I've been blacklisted by battle.net.  It's probably because I left one of my bot clients on autoreconnect for 2 or 3 days.  That might'ev also been the cause of my slow connection for a few days.  Once I found out and stopped the reconnecting, my bandwidth went back to normal.  But battle.net still won't take me back  :'(

Has this happened to anyone else? (or anything vaguely similar)
February 27, 2005, 3:13 AM
Quarantine
Hmm, I seem to have gotten IPBanned for a long period of time (sometimes about 2 days) . I usually just try to reset my IP
February 27, 2005, 3:14 AM
Lenny
I've considered doing that.  But I would need to be offline long enough for my IP to be thrown back in the DHCP pool, wait for that to be leased to someone else and grab another available one.  That might take a couple days.
February 27, 2005, 3:33 AM
Kp
If your client was reconnecting so fast that it had a noticeable impact on your available bandwidth, you've got much bigger problems than being temporarily banned from battle.net.  Fix your client while you wait for the ban to go away.
February 27, 2005, 5:10 AM
Lenny
Well my client can have multiple connections to battle.net, I was loading 6 connections at the time.  So the reconnect was 6x what one connection would normally be.  3 connections on east and 3 on west.
February 27, 2005, 5:56 AM
Kp
That's still a negligible bandwidth consumption if your client has any reasonable backoff delays.
February 27, 2005, 6:43 AM
Newby
I've been banned for a day before, maybe two. I forget.

If it persists for over a week, I suggest you get another IP if you are really into Battle.net. Otherwise, move on.
February 27, 2005, 6:45 AM
Lenny
[quote author=Kp link=topic=10739.msg101801#msg101801 date=1109486587]
That's still a negligible bandwidth consumption if your client has any reasonable backoff delays.
[/quote]

It wasn't the bandwidth consumption that caused my connection problems.  It was the thousands upon thousands of reconnect attempts building up that slowly hurt my connection.  I'm uncertain what was happening on my ISP side, but my connection was progressively slowing down.  It came to a point where the bandwidth loss became noticeable, so I decided to investigate and found that my client had been trying to reconnect on the other computer for probably about 2-3 days.  Perhaps I should have set the amount of tries.  But I always left it on infinite since it had never given me problems before.
February 27, 2005, 6:59 AM
iago
In my older bot, I had it set so that no two instances could connect within 15 seconds of eachother.  So if I was running 8 bots, and got disconnected, they would reconnect one by one.  If they went on to get disconnected again, they would get thrown back into the queue nad wait their turn.  It might be a good idea to implement that.

I've had longish ip bans before for massive reconnects.  I find it easiest to reset my ip, since that takes me like 20 seconds :)
February 27, 2005, 7:01 AM
tA-Kane
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=10739.msg101767#msg101767 date=1109475212]
I've considered doing that. But I would need to be offline long enough for my IP to be thrown back in the DHCP pool, wait for that to be leased to someone else and grab another available one. That might take a couple days.
[/quote]Most operating systems offer a utility to release and/or renew the network interface's DHCP lease.

On Windows, you drop into a command prompt and type in:[quote]ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew[/quote]

I'm not sure what to use if you're using any *nix (including Mac OS X). On Mac OS 9, there's several utilities (I'd use IPNetMonitor). Those utilities may or may not work on Mac OS X, though.
February 27, 2005, 8:12 AM
The-FooL
When developing a bot, I accidently left it on autoreconnect for a few hours.  I came back from BNET and was IPBanned for at least two days.  It was only after I left and came back from a week long vacaction that I was able to connect again.  Just give it a while, several days at least, before you attempt to connect again.  Every time you try to connect while banned just prolongs the ban.
February 27, 2005, 2:01 PM
UserLoser.
You guys need a better reconnect system.  First start off with a few seconds, then double if fails, wait that delay, double it again if it fails, etc. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 seconds and so on.  Works fine
February 27, 2005, 5:12 PM
Quarantine
AFAIK doesn't Battle.net reset your time IPBanned everytime you try to connect while already IPBanned?
February 27, 2005, 5:19 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=10739.msg101805#msg101805 date=1109487587]
[/quote]

It wasn't the bandwidth consumption that caused my connection problems.  It was the thousands upon thousands of reconnect attempts building up that slowly hurt my connection.  I'm uncertain what was happening on my ISP side, but my connection was progressively slowing down.  It came to a point where the bandwidth loss became noticeable, so I decided to investigate and found that my client had been trying to reconnect on the other computer for probably about 2-3 days.  Perhaps I should have set the amount of tries.  But I always left it on infinite since it had never given me problems before.
[/quote]If you don't skim/clear the chat window (especially in VB), lots of text will cause the program to slow to an insanely slow operation rate, and use up a lot of cycles and memory.

@Warrior: Yes.
February 27, 2005, 6:00 PM
Lenny
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=10739.msg101846#msg101846 date=1109527212]
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=10739.msg101805#msg101805 date=1109487587]
[/quote]

It wasn't the bandwidth consumption that caused my connection problems.   It was the thousands upon thousands of reconnect attempts building up that slowly hurt my connection.  I'm uncertain what was happening on my ISP side, but my connection was progressively slowing down.  It came to a point where the bandwidth loss became noticeable, so I decided to investigate and found that my client had been trying to reconnect on the other computer for probably about 2-3 days.  Perhaps I should have set the amount of tries.  But I always left it on infinite since it had never given me problems before.
[/quote]If you don't skim/clear the chat window (especially in VB), lots of text will cause the program to slow to an insanely slow operation rate, and use up a lot of cycles and memory.

@Warrior: Yes.
[/quote]

My connection was slowed, not my computer...My client automatically removes older text from the buffer anyway.

Well I could release my IP manually, but the chances are, I'll get the same one if I renew right after.  I can take solace in the fact that my ip is dynamic, so I won't be stuck calling my ISP and buying a new ip...
February 27, 2005, 7:08 PM
Kp
The only reasons your connection should be slow are if you're overstressing it or your ISP is artificially capping you.  Your responses make it pretty clear you believe you weren't overstressing it, which means there's something really wrong with your ISP.  Unless you were reconnect spamming so fast they thought it was a poor man's DoS, there's no reason they should've been tweaking your connection limits.  If you were reconnecting that fast, then see prior comments about your client having serious problems. :)
February 27, 2005, 7:13 PM
Lenny
Actually, connection throttling by an ISP is rather common.  It's usually done automatically.  This can happen sometimes with bittorents because of the amount of connections created.  My ISP slowly restored the bandwidth to its normal capacity in about 24hrs.
February 27, 2005, 11:42 PM
iago
[quote author=Lenny link=topic=10739.msg101889#msg101889 date=1109547744]
Actually, connection throttling by an ISP is rather common.  It's usually done automatically.  This can happen sometimes with bittorents because of the amount of connections created.  My ISP slowly restored the bandwidth to its normal capacity in about 24hrs.
[/quote]

Incidentally, Windows XP SP2 automatically slows outgoing connections.
February 28, 2005, 3:13 AM

Search