Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Browser Hijacking Help

AuthorMessageTime
The-Rabid-Lord
I have a really annoying hijacker I cant get rid of. It loads up on opening IE and sets my homepage to about:blank. I have tried everything to get rid of it. Loads of spyware remover, Hijack This!. Couldnt delete the file which is called se.dll, so I renamed it. Loaded IE and it put another copy there. Scince then I have ddownloaded FireFox and am happy with it,  but I still want it removed. The se.dll also has a trojan atached to it. Please Help.
February 26, 2005, 12:09 PM
iago
My friend had something like that.  He spent about two months trying everything to get rid of it.  It would go away for a couple days, then return.

Finally, he formatted and reinstalled Windows from scratch.  Since then, he's never used IE, only FireFox, and the problem hasn't returned.
February 26, 2005, 3:06 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
I have to admit FireFox has grown on me, I dont want to wipe again, only did it a few days ago.
February 26, 2005, 3:13 PM
Mangix
hmmmmm. if you have Microsoft Anti-spy, then run a scan and it should find it. afterwards it should delete it. if it doesnt, then pay some collegge guy to fix it :P.
February 26, 2005, 4:11 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
I decided to wipe. I didnt really want to waste my time, but a feature Length Drama came on, so i decided to do it while watching that. I did think of microsofts but it said it had to validate windows to download it to check authenticity. I didnt really like the sound of it :P
February 26, 2005, 5:04 PM
Thing
Next time get a use a real operating system and tools to fix your Windows woes.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/austrumi

The CD you can make from this is bootable and contains utilities to reset user passwords and other nifty things.
February 26, 2005, 5:31 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
I am thinking about a Linux installation. Theres a copy of Suse on a Linux magazine this month. I may buy it, all though I wouldnt mind trying slackware.
February 26, 2005, 6:06 PM
Mangix
[quote author=Meh - (S-1-0-0) link=topic=10729.msg101679#msg101679 date=1109437488]
I decided to wipe. I didnt really want to waste my time, but a feature Length Drama came on, so i decided to do it while watching that. I did think of microsofts but it said it had to validate windows to download it to check authenticity. I didnt really like the sound of it :P
[/quote] lol dont you have the COA? i validated mine and now with ActiveX, i have access to all microsoft downloads.
February 26, 2005, 7:48 PM
iago
I hate SuSE :P

But eh, anything that isn't Windows :)
February 27, 2005, 6:59 AM
Thing
[quote author=iago link=topic=10729.msg101804#msg101804 date=1109487586]
I hate SuSE :P

But eh, anything that isn't Windows :)
[/quote]

Die
February 27, 2005, 1:51 PM
iago
My main problem with SuSE is that you have to pay to get useful stuff.  I know too many people who ask me how to compile (./configure, make, su, make install), and they go "Uhh, compiler not found".  What kind of crappy distro DOESN'T include gcc!?
February 27, 2005, 5:38 PM
Kp
[quote author=iago link=topic=10729.msg101843#msg101843 date=1109525927]
My main problem with SuSE is that you have to pay to get useful stuff.  I know too many people who ask me how to compile (./configure, make, su, make install), and they go "Uhh, compiler not found".  What kind of crappy distro DOESN'T include gcc!?
[/quote]

Dunno what distro you got, but the SuSE 9.1 I installed from had gcc 3.3.1.  Maybe they just didn't install it?  IIRC, I had a great deal of flexibility in what did/didn't get installed.
February 27, 2005, 5:59 PM
iago
Perhaps it's just the default install, then.  None of the people installing it that I talked to were experienced (that's why they chose SuSE, they heard it's easier), and wouldn't have known to enable it.
February 27, 2005, 6:07 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Thanks, hopefully i wont have the problems again.
March 1, 2005, 10:28 PM

Search