Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | C/C++ Programming | n00b C++ Question

AuthorMessageTime
Nabeshin
I am using VSC++.net2k3, and I was wondering how to use the DWORD type in C++.

I am porting some code over from C# in order to make a Dynamic Link Library in C++, and I discovered that my complier does not reconsize the DWORD as an identifier, and it didn't reconize ZeroMemory or CopyMemory for some random reason.

[code]
#pragma once

using namespace System;

namespace CBnetHashing
{
}

static void CBnetHashing::XSha1::HashData(System::Byte *inbuff, System::Int32 nLength, System::Byte *outbuff)
{
DWORD dhashbuff[128];
ZeroMemory(dhashbuff, 128*4);
if (nLength > 64)
throw new System::ArgumentException("Data cannot be more than 64 bytes");
CopyMemory(dhashbuff, inbuff, nLength);
int i;
DWORD a, b, c, d, e, f;...
}
[/code]

(the dots represents code that I have yet to finish.)

Basically, what I am trying to do is declair an array of the DWORD type (was used in C# code) into C++, ZeroMemory all of the addresses, and CopyMemory from inbuff to dhasbuff to a certain length.
February 24, 2005, 11:10 PM
UserLoser.
[code]
typedef unsigned long DWORD;
[/code]

or try including header files such as windows.h.
February 24, 2005, 11:15 PM
Nabeshin
Thanks, I can't believe I forgot the header file.

In the C# code, it refers to static functions, yet when I compile them, I get errors.
[code]
namespace CBnetHashing
{
public __gc class XSha1
{
public:
static void HashData(System::Byte *inbuff, System::Int32 nLength, System::Byte *outbuff);
private:
static System::UInt32 Rol(System::UInt32 n, int shift);
};
[/code]

How can I fix this (I don't remember hearing about static function)?
February 24, 2005, 11:37 PM
UserLoser.
What errors?
February 24, 2005, 11:42 PM
Nabeshin
error C2724: 'CBnetHashing::XSha1::Rol' : 'static' should not be used on member functions defined at file scope
February 25, 2005, 12:05 AM
EpicOfTimeWasted
DWORD should actually be:

[code]typedef unsigned int DWORD;[/code]

This makes sure that your double word doesn't turn into a quad word when it's compiled for a 64 bit CPU.
February 25, 2005, 12:18 AM
Kp
[quote author=EpicOfTimeWasted link=topic=10704.msg101457#msg101457 date=1109290728]
DWORD should actually be:

[code]typedef unsigned int DWORD;[/code]

This makes sure that your double word doesn't turn into a quad word when it's compiled for a 64 bit CPU.
[/quote]

Technically, on a 64bit CPU, a doubleword should be 128 bits.  Of course, it's rare you ever see a Windows programmer using the right definition of a machine word anyway. ;)
February 25, 2005, 12:30 AM
Nabeshin
Thanks for the info but...

Where do I put that?  When I include it before the name, my compiler says that:

error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'dhashbuff'

So could you post an example of making an array of DWORD?

From what I can make sence, it tries to make DWORD an interger, and wants to throw the rest of the declaration away. 
February 25, 2005, 12:34 AM
Kp
[code]DWORD dw[5] /* big enough for a SHA output */;
DWORD *pdw = new DWORD[10] /* this line must be in a function, not at file scope */;[/code]
February 25, 2005, 12:44 AM
Myndfyr
A couple thoughts....

You definitely didn't see a "DWORD" type in a C# library.  The only "DWORD" type in a C# library would be System.UInt32 (System::UInt32), which is accessible through MC++, which brings me around to my next question, which is -- if you're using OTHER MC++ types like System::Byte, why aren't you using System::UInt32 instead of DWORD?

Also, the C# "static" keyword means that you don't need to have an instance of an object to access that particular member.  As I recall, in C++, you don't have to have an instance of an object, but you'll get an exception for trying to access a NULL pointer if the function you call uses the this pointer at all.  I could be wrong on that, though.
February 25, 2005, 12:59 AM
Nabeshin
Nah, my project partner thought that DWORD was the C++ equivelent of the C# uint, which it isn't (maybe I should have thought more into this before posting, oh well).

Sure, I'll try and use System::UInt32 instead (this is what I originally planed to use, but Shout tried to convince me otherwise).

February 25, 2005, 2:04 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=UserLoser link=topic=10704.msg101431#msg101431 date=1109286937]or try including header files such as windows.h.[/quote]
February 27, 2005, 3:30 AM
shout
He is porting my BnetHashing.dll to C++, which is available in C# here.
February 27, 2005, 4:43 AM
LordVader
This page, talks about general issues when trying to compile C# like code under C++ and general idea's on conversions & fixes.

Most of the time it will just require (TYPE) cast infront of an instruction|function..
Where -> TYPE <- would be DWORD|INT etc.. or other 'type' of unit or structure known to the compiler.

Example from the page I mentioned.

In C this will work:
[code]
HBITMAP hbmOldBuffer = SelectObject(hdcBuffer, hbmBuffer);
[/code]
But in C++ requires a cast:
[code]
HBITMAP hbmOldBuffer = (HBITMAP)SelectObject(hdcBuffer, hbmBuffer);
[/code]

March 1, 2005, 9:45 PM

Search