Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | windows cross mobo.

AuthorMessageTime
peofeoknight
How would I go about taking a harddrive on one system with windows on it and put it on another system and have it work? I have read somewhere that it is possible by editing some files, anyone know what I would have to do?
February 14, 2005, 2:34 AM
JoeTheOdd
Windows is pretty plug-n-play happy, even for huge changes. I'd just go with it, but I'm no hardware wizz.
February 14, 2005, 2:59 AM
peofeoknight
Well generally it is not plug and play when it comes to the chipset, from what I have seen. But also I thought the changes were minor, something like copying over one new file or something.
February 14, 2005, 3:42 AM
Stealth
I have done this before due to motherboard failure on several occasions. The only problem I've run into is Windows Activation breaking, but a quick phone call (the first time I had to speak to an operator, but they put an automated system in place by the time I had to call again) takes care of that.
February 14, 2005, 6:15 AM
peofeoknight
Okie dokie, I think I will try installing it on the other box then
February 14, 2005, 11:34 AM
crankycefx
I'm not sure that's a wise idea.

When you install Windows, Windows takes an exam of the existing hardware in your computer and generates a code with which it references frequently.
Essentially, it's an alphanumeric code (method of creating the code I never bothered to learn.)

Google it a lot before you try anything silly. :) Windows might not like the sudden change of hardware.
But then again, it -is- very plug n play compat.

It's your call.
February 16, 2005, 10:07 AM
Stealth
It uses that survey of your hardware to create a profile of your computer which is used in Activation. If your computer differs too much from that profile, Activation is broken because Windows thinks it has been moved to a new computer, and you can call Microsoft up and get that taken care of in 5-10 minutes. :)
February 16, 2005, 10:30 PM
JoeTheOdd
Ah, my reply was based on the non-activated Windows products. I always left my Windows XP boxes alone, except installing a DVD drive in one.
February 18, 2005, 2:40 AM

Search