Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Model UN

AuthorMessageTime
hismajesty
This years Model United Nations conference starts tomorrow! This year I'm a delegate from Italy in NATO. Our topics are: Stability in the Balkans, The Role of the Alliance: Iraq, and Combating Terrorism.

I don't know much about Italy, and even though I've got about an inch of research I haven't read hardly any of it. Luckily, from what I witnessed last year at MUN being a paige(page?) most countries don't get up and speak and instead just vote and pass notes. I wanted to try to get a resolution passed though, since from what I hear you can actually win at these things. Anyway, my [joke] plan right now is to bomb the Vatican City and blame Mussolini since he made it a state and all. Then we can make them a part of Italy and even though I don't know how that would really help Italy, I can't think of anything else to do since Italy isn't exactly a world power.

So, can anyone offer any [serious] information that could possibly aid me? I'm gonna try to go through some of the research tonight. I'm predicting that the first topic to be worked on will be Iraq, since that's what most kids will probably know about and will vote on that over Balkans and stuff. However, from what I've found Italy doesn't really have a big role in any of those three topics. If anyone has any links that would disagree with that statement, I'd greatly appreciate it.

February 10, 2005, 12:26 AM
CrAz3D
If you REALLY want to have fun, which I guess you do from reading the part about bombing the Vatican or w/e...become a stereo typical Italian person.  Large gut, slicked hair, a NICE Italian suit, a gun holster (no gun cause that might be bad).

Serious suggestions:
Uhm....those crazy Italian people don't make it easy for you, do they?  I'd argue that Iraq SHOULD have been invaded because now you can establish Italian food businesses in the Mid East
February 10, 2005, 12:35 AM
hismajesty
I don't think there will be debate on whether it should have been invaded or not, but rather how to handle it now that it has been.

I'd definately get into character if I looked the least bit Italian, but red hair isn't so commmon in Italy. I don't have an Italian suit, but I'll wear an Italian sweater. :)
February 10, 2005, 12:41 AM
hismajesty
Aye. Well, there was an error made by my schools faculty advisor for MUN, since we were assigned Italy he assumed it was for all committees. Well, we weren't assigned NATO so they pulled us from the conference room and they assigned us Bosnia in any General Assembly room we wanted, we chose DISEC (Disarmament  and International Security.) I was pretty ticked, seeing as how I had a lot of research on Italy/NATO topics (a lot of it done yesterday/last night...) and I figured it'd be for nothing. But luckily, a guy from my school who I met at last years Model UN conference expressed interest in being Bosnia, so I gladly took him up on that since he had no research on Italy. So, now we're Italy in DISEC and my friend gets to do his Russianish accent and everyone always laughs and claps when he speaks. Italy is co-sponsering a bill with (originally) Bosnia and now Poland and Morrocco too, on the topic of keeping WMDs out of the hands of terrorists.

Iraq had a plan too, but pretty much everyone went against them after they referred to the US as 'Cowboy Hat Wearing Hooplahs' hmm. I'm not going the third day (have debate) so I'll post pictures/full recap tommorow.
February 11, 2005, 4:37 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=10496.msg99239#msg99239 date=1108096640]
Aye. Well, there was an error made by my schools faculty advisor for MUN, since we were assigned Italy he assumed it was for all committees. Well, we weren't assigned NATO so they pulled us from the conference room and they assigned us Bosnia in any General Assembly room we wanted, we chose DISEC (Disarmament  and International Security.) I was pretty ticked, seeing as how I had a lot of research on Italy/NATO topics (a lot of it done yesterday/last night...) and I figured it'd be for nothing. But luckily, a guy from my school who I met at last years Model UN conference expressed interest in being Bosnia, so I gladly took him up on that since he had no research on Italy. So, now we're Italy in DISEC and my friend gets to do his Russianish accent and everyone always laughs and claps when he speaks. Italy is co-sponsering a bill with (originally) Bosnia and now Poland and Morrocco too, on the topic of keeping WMDs out of the hands of terrorists.

Iraq had a plan too, but pretty much everyone went against them after they referred to the US as 'Cowboy Hat Wearing Hooplahs' hmm. I'm not going the third day (have debate) so I'll post pictures/full recap tommorow.
[/quote]YAY!...  What was the "US's" response to the Cowboy hat thing?  (if it was me I would've made a paper cowboy hat)
February 11, 2005, 4:43 AM
hismajesty
They said that they were offended by it.
February 11, 2005, 11:34 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=10496.msg99259#msg99259 date=1108121641]
They said that they were offended by it.
[/quote]That's it?...how boring.
February 11, 2005, 3:57 PM
hismajesty
Yeah.

Well, I've got a debate tournament so I'm having to miss the third and final day of Model UN. It's only a three hour session, but we've got a plan that's getting ready to be introduced and I won't be there to speak on it. Well, I think one of the main reasons I wanna go tommorow is all the hot girls. Basically everybody from our school ate at Hooters today, and I totally thought some of the MUN girls were better looking than the Hooters girls.
February 12, 2005, 3:09 AM

Search