Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Warcraft | Professions for a Priest

AuthorMessageTime
warz
I've been playing as a priest, lately, and I haven't chosen a profession yet. I was thinking I'd go Enchanting or whatever it is that can make perma bufs on armor and all that, and maybe Tailoring, because it sounds more interesting than Herbalism/Alchemy (what I have on my rogue).

Anyone have a priest, and want to suggest some professions that yall have found actually useful to yourself or your party?
February 7, 2005, 10:48 PM
Thing
I think Grok does tailoring and skinning.  Tailoring is obvious because you can make your own armor.  Skinning is a handy way to make money.
February 8, 2005, 12:20 AM
Skywing
Be warned that Tailoring loses a lot of it's allure once you near the level cap.  All the patterns for good armor pieces are rare drops at that point, such that you're more likely to start acquiring armor set pieces that are better anyway.

And selling items you tailor on the AH is usually a bust; most items sell for less than their components.
February 8, 2005, 6:18 PM
Grok
Agree with Skywing here.  In fact, Tailoring has been largely useless for me, because the drops are too much better and more frequent than what a tailor can make.  This is not true for all professions.  Skinning and Mining are no-brainers.  You cannot get Frostsaber leather or Chimera leather by going out and finding it.  You have to skin for it.  Same with mining.

If Blizzard wanted to make Tailoring attractive, they would make it more difficult to acquire the ingredients, have a higher number of rare patterns, and make those patterns significantly (meaning 2% or more) better than quest rewards at the same level of difficulty.

The best-selling items I have are rare and required 6-8 ingredients that are difficult to accumulate.  Even those don't sell for what the ingredients cost.
February 8, 2005, 7:54 PM
warz
Alright, so tailoring isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'll stay away. :-P Thanks.
February 8, 2005, 9:06 PM
Mitosis
Enchanting and leatherworking works great, makes lots of money.
February 8, 2005, 9:59 PM
Grok
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=10463.msg98839#msg98839 date=1107899970]
Enchanting and leatherworking works great, makes lots of money.
[/quote]

Because Leatherworking makes money, so does skinning.  Most of the money Grok makes from tailoring+skinning is from selling leather on AH.
February 9, 2005, 10:52 AM
Adron
And myself I'm doing leatherworking, skinning, alchemy and herbalism. Having potions is a good thing - I love being self-sufficient in healing/mana potions. Plus having a few extra to offer to team.
February 12, 2005, 7:17 PM
Spht
One of my characters does alchemy/heralism.  I didn't plan on making money with it, I just like the buffs.  Alchemy is a fun profession.

My other is a leatherworker/skinner.  The only time I made any large sum of money with leatherworking was during the first month of retail.  I was one of the first 5 or 10 people that could make thick armor kits, and we were actively selling them at the auction house for 1 to 2 gold each.  After I went on a two-week vacation and came back, the "going rate" for all the leatherworking things I used to sell dropped significately (due to so many people being able to make them now).  So I stopped selling my "common" productions in the auction house, and instead gave them away or sold to vendor.  I think it was early January that rugged armor kits started showing up, but the going rate for those has dropped quite some bit too lately.

I'm making good money selling leather though.
February 12, 2005, 8:50 PM
warz
I chose tailoring and enchanting.
February 12, 2005, 9:44 PM
dRAgoN
[quote author=warz link=topic=10463.msg99487#msg99487 date=1108244682]
[/quote]
Enchanting is cool, remember to write down what items give you what when disenchanting for reasons of crawling the AH for cheap items and knowing what you will get from the item, also the easyest way to level up your profession is by droping in the noob area and just giveing away enchants I did this when ever I needed the points back on closed. Mind you its good to have people giveing you magic items eg. talors/black smiths etc
February 13, 2005, 6:26 AM
warz
Yeah, I actually started writing down those thing when I first realized what was going on (with the disenchant, and stuff). I kinda figured it might get  frustrating in the future if I didn't. I can tell it will take some time though to get these two professions leveled up. :-P
February 13, 2005, 6:40 AM
Adron
You can also use online references such as thottbot.
February 13, 2005, 12:22 PM
Mitosis
[quote author=l)ragon link=topic=10463.msg99542#msg99542 date=1108275968]
[/quote]
Enchanting is cool, remember to write down what items give you what when disenchanting for reasons of crawling the AH for cheap items and knowing what you will get from the item, also the easyest way to level up your profession is by droping in the noob area and just giveing away enchants I did this when ever I needed the points back on closed. Mind you its good to have people giveing you magic items eg. talors/black smiths etc
[/quote]

It's all random...say you enchant a chest piece, you don't recieve the same item from it.
February 13, 2005, 12:52 PM
dRAgoN
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=10463.msg99556#msg99556 date=1108299142]
[quote author=l)ragon link=topic=10463.msg99542#msg99542 date=1108275968]
[/quote]
[/quote]

It's all random...say you enchant a chest piece, you don't recieve the same item from it.
[/quote]
I was talking about disenchantment of items, I used to buy my junk from the AH in mass and 9 out of 10 times the disenchanted green item is the same, which is the reason to write down what you get from them, out of all the blues I have never seen anything other than shards.

thottbot is good also, but I allways liked haveing my binder infront of me.
February 13, 2005, 1:28 PM
Rabid Rob
Crafted items are meant to be weaker than findable items.  What makes them good is that they are easy and reliable to make (relatively speaking).

Enchanting is a rich man's skill.  I recommend going with skinning till you are rich, then switch to that.  Rich being, oh, 125-150 gold (you gotta buy a horse, remember...).  The bonuses from enchantments are weak for a long time anyways.  If you really want to level Enchant, you gotta spend a lot of money on bids in the AH (not buyouts), most bids won't win, but by going volume, you get the items you need to skill up.

Really, crafted items + enchanting are skills that can be used to greatly assist lower level chars.  Grok can make decent clothes, for example, and if we had a master enchanter, they could then be buffed up superbly.  That's just something to consider for the future, though.
February 14, 2005, 2:45 AM
Grok
Grok is now at 300 tailoring, and Chroma has picked up Enchanting to 225.  As well, Poonga (whatever his name is now) has switched to Enchanting and is around 267 skill.  So any higher enchants he can probably do.
February 14, 2005, 12:36 PM
Adron
[quote author=Rabid Rob link=topic=10463.msg99657#msg99657 date=1108349139]
Really, crafted items + enchanting are skills that can be used to greatly assist lower level chars.  Grok can make decent clothes, for example, and if we had a master enchanter, they could then be buffed up superbly.  That's just something to consider for the future, though.
[/quote]

Umm, I don't think you can do that... At least high level armor patches can't be applied to low level items. I tried to put thick armor onto a pair of level 20 or so gloves, and WoW refused.
February 15, 2005, 5:07 PM
Spht
It also seems like a waste to use any high level enchants on your equipment until you reach endgame.  Before level 50, you're likely to find a replacement for a piece or armor or weapon you're using within the next 5 levels.

It's like people who pay over 100 gold for level 35 epic items...
February 15, 2005, 8:29 PM
Grok
[quote author=Adron link=topic=10463.msg99842#msg99842 date=1108487254]
[quote author=Rabid Rob link=topic=10463.msg99657#msg99657 date=1108349139]
[/quote]

Umm, I don't think you can do that... At least high level armor patches can't be applied to low level items. I tried to put thick armor onto a pair of level 20 or so gloves, and WoW refused.
[/quote]

It works with enchanting.  I enchanted several level 12 cloaks and pants with 220-level enchantments and put them on auction house.  They sold nicely.  The cloak had +50 armor, the pants had +3 resist all.
February 16, 2005, 12:55 AM

Search