Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Country Store Shootout

AuthorMessageTime
hismajesty
[quote]
ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- When two men walked into a popular country store outside Atlanta, announced a holdup and fired a shot, owners Bobby and Gloria Doster never hesitated. The pair pulled out their own pistols and opened fire.

The armed suspect and his partner were killed. The Dosters won't be charged, according to local officials, because they were acting in self-defense.

"I just started shooting," said Gloria Doster, 56. "I was trying to blow his brains out is what I was trying to do."

Shoats Grocery & Package near Crawford, 70 miles east of Atlanta, is a well-known spot where locals stop for breakfast biscuits or lunch. Gloria Doster said the two men who came there Monday had something else in mind.

She was rearranging boxes of soda by the store's front door when a man wearing a wig walked inside, the fake hair draped in front of his face.

"I asked him, 'Can you see to walk?"' Doster said. Then she noticed a second man behind him wearing a mask. He announced a holdup.

One man grabbed Gloria Doster and pushed her toward the register. She said the other kept his gun on her 62-year-old husband, who also goes by the name Shoats.

She said she tried to open the register, but one of the men told her she wasn't moving fast enough and tried to shoot her husband. He missed -- and his gun jammed.

At that point, Bobby Doster pulled out a .380-caliber handgun and shot one of the suspects. Gloria Doster then went for a 9 mm pistol she keeps near the register.

"All hell broke loose," she said. "I was trying to shoot and dial 911 at the same time."

Both suspects took cover behind the store's meat counter as the Dosters opened fire. Gloria Doster said she doesn't know how many bullets were fired, or how many times the suspects were hit.

Police arrived about five minutes after receiving Gloria Doster's call; the suspects died a short time later at a hospital.

The bloodshed, nevertheless, startled Gloria Doster, who has been around guns all her life, and has used them for target shooting. "But I never figured I'd have to use them on anybody," she said.
[/quote]

source:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/26/store.shooting.ap/index.html

Just another reason why the right to bear arms is a good right to have. Those two are alive to day because they were trained on, and legally allowed to use a firearm. The robbers were there to rob and/or kill, not to have biscuits. Waiting for police was out of the question and would have resulted in the murdering of the store owners.
January 26, 2005, 7:39 PM
DrivE
Before any of you anti-gun nuts even bother making your points against the RKBA let me point a few things out.

-It is almost certain that the guns used by the criminals were not legally obtained, so making guns illegal wouldn't change the fact the criminals had them.

-Having these guns almost certainly saved the lives of the store owners. Notice that the suspects tried to shoot the gentleman first, and the reason he didn't succeed was the gun jammed. So I ask you anti-gun freaks this question, would it have been better to have the store owners unarmed and have been killed?
January 26, 2005, 8:21 PM
CrAz3D
That is awesome, & my mom won't let me get a gun because they're not safe...pfft.
January 27, 2005, 1:16 AM
DrivE
Fight crime, shoot back!

Those who think that the RKBA isn't right haven't spoken up yet, but if you intend to, before you do so please take the following Quiz and share your results with us (just so we're all on the same page): http://www.a-human-right.com/views2.html
January 27, 2005, 2:02 AM
hismajesty
Bah, was hoping to get a grade! That was a neat quiz, I like the way the questions were worded. :P
January 27, 2005, 2:26 AM
peofeoknight
I have a luger... it is like a show / classic gun thing so I can't even really fire it. It is just something I will have to give to my kid. The gun is actually legally not mine, like if anyone asks it is my dad's. But it is basically mine.
January 27, 2005, 2:55 AM
DrivE
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=10317.msg96849#msg96849 date=1106792808]
Bah, was hoping to get a grade! That was a neat quiz, I like the way the questions were worded. :P
[/quote]

It makes the liberal loonies think about how stupid they are when they have to answer those questions bluntly without being able to contort the answers.
January 27, 2005, 3:01 AM
Forged
[quote]an ineffective weapon, such as pepper spray [/quote]
I have a stung gun, I would go so far as to say it was innefective
January 27, 2005, 3:35 AM
CrAz3D
Would or wouldn't?

It is only effective if the guy is almost standing on top of you...with a projectile gun you could hit them from even 10' away!
January 27, 2005, 3:42 AM
Forged
wouldn't* Forged can't seem to type tonight.

If a guy pulled a gun on you the chances of you being able to pull out a gun and shoot him first are at best unlikelly.  The man in the store is just lucky the robber was a shitty shot.
January 27, 2005, 4:03 AM
CrAz3D
@ least you have SOME chance if the guy misses the first time, you should take that quiz posted above.
January 27, 2005, 4:20 AM
Forged
I have no problem with guns and people owning them.  I was just stating that my stun gun kicks mega ass in close range combat.  Might  not hold up in a gun fight, but then again if  you aren't fast neither will a gun.
January 27, 2005, 4:48 AM
Arta
Forged is totally right. This story is the exception, not the rule - what do you think the police would say, if you asked them  "In a robbery, should I do as I'm told, or try and shoot the criminals?".

They'd obviously tell you to do as you were told.
January 27, 2005, 12:27 PM
CrAz3D
...but if you have the chance why not "blow his brains out"?
January 27, 2005, 3:25 PM
Arta
Because by trying, I inevitably increase the already unacceptably high risk that he will blow my brains out first.
January 27, 2005, 5:44 PM
DOOM
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=10317.msg96904#msg96904 date=1106828824]
Forged is totally right. This story is the exception, not the rule - what do you think the police would say, if you asked them  "In a robbery, should I do as I'm told, or try and shoot the criminals?".

They'd obviously tell you to do as you were told.
[/quote]

Right, it is the exception to the rule.  But how many propaganda commercials are force fed to us telling us some sad story about the little kid who was playing with his daddy's gun or the teen that got stoned and shot his friend?  Those examples are exceptions to the rule too.  Statistically, children are far more likely to drown in a swimming pool in their back yard than they are to be killed in an accidental shooting.  Perhaps we need to ban swimming pools.
January 27, 2005, 7:34 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=10317.msg96936#msg96936 date=1106847887]
Because by trying, I inevitably increase the already unacceptably high risk that he will blow my brains out first.
[/quote]

Don't miss and you won't have to worry about that.
January 27, 2005, 8:13 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=10317.msg96948#msg96948 date=1106856828]
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=10317.msg96936#msg96936 date=1106847887]
[/quote]

Don't miss and you won't have to worry about that.
[/quote]Use a short barreled shotgun, that way the thing has more spread & you havne Much better chances of hitting the low life.
January 27, 2005, 8:16 PM
DrivE
Arta and Forged, take the quiz I presented in that link and answer it honestly. You might be suprised with the ansers you get and the facts it presents to you.
January 27, 2005, 8:56 PM
DrivE
[quote author=Forged link=topic=10317.msg96873#msg96873 date=1106798628]
If a guy pulled a gun on you the chances of you being able to pull out a gun and shoot him first are at best unlikelly.  The man in the store is just lucky the robber was a shitty shot.
[/quote]

So what you're saying is, that you shouldn't even bother trying to defend yourself?
January 27, 2005, 8:57 PM
Forged
I agree with you hazard, I am against fire arm bans, there for the quiz really won't show me much.  What I am saying is if someone pulls a gun out on you if yours is not already drawn the chances of you being able to pull out your gun and shoot him before he reacts is extremlly low.
January 27, 2005, 9:57 PM
DrivE
So you are still saying that taking steps to protect yourself is pointless so why even bother?
January 27, 2005, 10:59 PM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Forged link=topic=10317.msg96972#msg96972 date=1106863079]
I agree with you hazard, I am against fire arm bans, there for the quiz really won't show me much.  What I am saying is if someone pulls a gun out on you if yours is not already drawn the chances of you being able to pull out your gun and shoot him before he reacts is extremlly low.
[/quote]There is always the chance that the perpetraitor might get distracted then you can "blow his brains out."
January 28, 2005, 12:27 AM
Forged
no, there is a gun under my car seat. Just saying this scenario doesn't happen very often, but might as well carry a gun because hell you could be that 1/100000 person that doesn't get shot because you killed the crook first.
January 28, 2005, 12:28 AM
DrivE
The odds are better than that, do some research.
January 28, 2005, 1:15 AM

Search