Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | Is this possible

AuthorMessageTime
tRiCksTa
Is it possible for someone with 0 Visual Basics knowledge to make their first bot WITHOUT leaching. I have no Visual Basics knowledge.. just HTML. I dont want to leach off of people's sources. That's just lame. Is it possible to build a first bot with simple features then along the way while I really learn, make more features. If not, where can I learn VB. (Book or something) Please don't flame.  :(
January 13, 2005, 4:17 AM
tRiCksTa
Edit - Is anyone willing to teach me VB 1 on 1. I'm willing to learn. AIM or bnet is good
January 13, 2005, 4:17 AM
Networks
Not quite, probably not even a CSB bot. You'll have to have some knowledge of VB6 to even code something like that. Please do NOT call it Visual Basics, it's: Visual Basic. I am sure if you search the forum you'll be able to find relavent posts relating to what skills you'll need and basic information that is suitable for you. However if you feel you don't want to put forth the work, I gurantee you'll end up leeching.
January 13, 2005, 5:14 AM
tRiCksTa
Thx Network for replying. Well, leaching is not the way I want to go. I am currently looking a tutorials and beginner's guide for making my applications. (Not bots). I'm just seeing if it is possible. Now that you replied..I think not. Anyone willin to teach me 1v1?
January 13, 2005, 5:35 AM
HdxBmx27
TrickSta, I am willing to answer any questiosn you ahve. As long as you jsut ask them and atleast try to figure it out for yourself befor hand. Anyway you can eather Post the question and have it answered by everyone ont eh forum, or PM me the question and i will answer it. Just ask spacific questions and people will respond if they have the information you need.
~-~(HDX)~-~
January 13, 2005, 6:49 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Networks link=topic=10179.msg95062#msg95062 date=1105593294]
Please do NOT call it Visual Basics, it's: Visual Basic.[/quote]

This is derived from the acronym BASIC, which stands for Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code.  :)  If you remember it's an acrynom, maybe it'll help you remember not to tack on that S.  ;)
January 13, 2005, 8:10 AM
tRiCksTa
Well first of all.. I would like to know how you guys learned the language and started programming bots, etc. If you read books, what books. If you read information online, whats the URL etc.
January 14, 2005, 12:24 AM
hismajesty
http://www.msdn.com
January 14, 2005, 1:44 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
Google was the best resource ever.

What got me into Visual BASIC was the fact that I already knew Quick BASIC (and some real BASIC).  QB I learned from reading "QBASIC By Example" by Que Books.  Google, however, was and still is the best place to find whatever you need.  Searching "VB6 Tutorial" or "Visual BASIC Tutorial" has some great results.

Finally, http://www.vbforums.com/ has a LOT of info, and you can ask whatever you want (for the most part) and you will usually get a quick reply.
January 14, 2005, 1:44 AM
Dyndrilliac
www.programmingtutorials.com
January 14, 2005, 6:19 PM
tRiCksTa
Thanks guys I will try them all out  :)
January 14, 2005, 6:32 PM
Networks
Buy a book, find ebooks or some massive tutorials on the net. Programming Bots is something that SHOULD come after. However bots was the reason I got into programming. I programmed bots for the most part while I learned. This is generally a bad habit but learning with no motivation is also so I am not sure. I as well was tempted to leech most of the code that was out there. I modded bots and learned what things were and how these things were used. I leeched but I never released anything that was not mine entirely. I found it was harder to leech in all actuality plus you don't learn much. I recommend you question EVERYTHING you come across and research about it because it's most likely important. Also if you do go ahead decide to learn VB6, I recommend you learn arrays. This is sorta of the way I started my battle.net programming life. If I could go back I wouldn't have learned VB6, I would've learned C++ instead (It's just a better language to learn, that'll help you in the long run).
January 14, 2005, 10:16 PM
dRAgoN
You will need a good amount of info on winsock also so here mind the popup's.
http://www.vbip.com/winsock-api/default.asp

Edit:
More control's info your going to want to look up later.
TextBox / RichEdit,
ListView / Listbox,
Lable,
Menu
These are all your basic controls that will possibly be used in your main interface.

Mind you if you choose a bot as your first move into Visual Basic use the Telnet gateway, you will have less headaches doing so.

Since you have no prior experiance in the language you may want to buy a book, the books which I like are from Microsoft Press they give a great amount of detail, if your in Canada go to Chapters they normaly have a real large section for computer books.
January 14, 2005, 11:03 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=tRiCksTa link=topic=10179.msg95138#msg95138 date=1105662269]
Well first of all.. I would like to know how you guys learned the language and started programming bots, etc. If you read books, what books. If you read information online, whats the URL etc.
[/quote]

I learned VB very ass-backwards.  I started with client-side JavaScript, then to server-side Microsoft JScript, then JScript.NET, then C#, then VB.NET, then into classic VB.

I highly recommend any of the Sams Publishing books on VB, as well as VBA for Dummies. :)
January 15, 2005, 8:04 AM
tRiCksTa
Ah...did anyone learn VB an easy way  :) (Instead of reading books or leeching.)
January 17, 2005, 3:16 AM
Networks
[quote author=tRiCksTa link=topic=10179.msg95484#msg95484 date=1105931812]
Ah...did anyone learn VB an easy way  :) (Instead of reading books or leeching.)
[/quote]

no
January 17, 2005, 2:52 PM
Quarantine
VB is easy silly! (In comparison to other languages ) :O
January 17, 2005, 4:58 PM
Networks
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=10179.msg95509#msg95509 date=1105981138]
VB is easy silly! (In comparison to other languages ) :O
[/quote]

Not for a nub who has no knowledge in programming and wants to some how magically learn it. -.-
January 17, 2005, 5:00 PM
Quarantine
I learned VB in less than a year, i'd call that easy yet we all see different things as 'easy'
January 17, 2005, 6:07 PM
NetNX
I am downsyndrome  :-\

Learn C++ first its easyier to adapt to other languages that way cuz vb bearly breaks the ice in the programing world

Im trying to learn C++ after vb and its a pain in my ass...
January 18, 2005, 3:55 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=NetNX link=topic=10179.msg95627#msg95627 date=1106063716]
Learn C++ first its easyier to adapt to other languages that way cuz vb bearly breaks the ice in the programing world
[/quote]

That's not necessarily true.  If you actually learn how to program, not just amalgamate code, VB is a perfectly fine learning tool.  My very, very first programming experience was in BASIC, and while it was limited, it was still pretty cool.

If you learn VB in a manner that emphasizes algorithms and problem solving, which (I believe) is fundamental to any programming language, you'll be okay.

All languages have identifiers, keywords that indicate loops, some kind of object or variable, etc.  It might take a while to learn the grammar of a specific programming language, but you can know every technical detail of C++ and still not know how to program.
January 18, 2005, 8:25 PM
tRiCksTa
Alright thanks guys. Just someone post here if they see a tutorials of how to make a chat bot. (Doesnt include Grok's or Cuphead's CSB)
January 18, 2005, 10:46 PM
UserLoser.
I learned C++ first.  Decided one day once I discovered Battle.net bots (ChewbaccaBot) that I wanted to write one.  I found out it'd be much easier in VB for someone who was new to it, so I taught my self VB like I did with C++ and started off learning about using the Winsock control and wrote a simple chat bot using telnet/chat/bot gateway (whatever it's called now-a-days) for B.net.  Here I am today disassembling/debugging/reversing applications/writing my own hacks (some to name: recent trojans [see fun forum], battle.snp, game.dll, SphtBotv3, chat filters on war3, chat logging for war3, floodbot filters, etc.).
January 18, 2005, 11:55 PM
tRiCksTa
And how did your "teach" yourself VB? I just want to know.  :-\ Those sites from the people above didnt really help. Sorry guys.
January 19, 2005, 1:20 AM
UserLoser.
[quote author=tRiCksTa link=topic=10179.msg95697#msg95697 date=1106097646]
And how did your "teach" yourself VB? I just want to know.  :-\ Those sites from the people above didnt really help. Sorry guys.
[/quote]

You open it up, you think of what you want (no, not a battle.net bot like 95%+ of the other people), and teach your self by playing around and testing things, also use common sense on what some keywords or code means/does
January 19, 2005, 1:47 AM
hismajesty
Learn VB the hard way, I guess, or just mess around. Programming Theory helps a bunch, even if you don't know the language too well - you can still figure out a way to do something.

This applies for me a lot in my AP Computer Science class. It's a math class, but since I already know Java decently, and have a bunch of experience in problem solving with programming I can generally reason through a math problem even if I don't know how to do it maybe the most proper way. I have the highest grade in the class, too!
January 19, 2005, 1:49 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=tRiCksTa link=topic=10179.msg95697#msg95697 date=1106097646]
[/quote]VB is designed to be user friendly, like all BASIC languages, and thus much of the syntax is simple English (If this = that Then doSomeFunction()).  It also helps that the VB IDE turns keywords blue.  Also note that MSDN and Right-click > Definition are your friends.
January 19, 2005, 4:26 AM
tRiCksTa
Thanks guys. Im startin to get a hang of it. (Even though I'm not making a bot). Thanks a bunch  ;D
January 19, 2005, 5:13 AM
NetNX
I'm a great progamer but i still have stuff i can learn and as for C++ and Me i should just try learning it on a PC... right now im trying to learn it on a mac and that just inst going too well...
January 19, 2005, 3:20 PM
tRiCksTa
I'm learning CSB yeah.. I know its noob. Is it possible to add winamp features and other features on CSB?    -tRiCKsTa aKa -^heXaBLeS^-
January 19, 2005, 4:34 PM
CrAz3D
CSB is just the connect to battlenet...you can add w/e you want to it & have a calculator or maybe a video player in your bot...it doesn't really matter.
January 19, 2005, 10:24 PM
tRiCksTa
Can anyone make a quick CSB , upload source, and put it up here. I thought I was getting it but, studying a unfinished CSB is really hard .
January 20, 2005, 1:44 AM
hismajesty
CSB is open source, it's somewhere in this forum. Also, there's tons of open source csb bots.
January 20, 2005, 12:08 PM
tRiCksTa
Yes I know, but when I download them, they wont work lol
January 20, 2005, 11:26 PM
LoRd
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=10179.msg95659#msg95659 date=1106079947]
[quote author=NetNX link=topic=10179.msg95627#msg95627 date=1106063716]
[/quote]

That's not necessarily true.  If you actually learn how to program, not just amalgamate code, VB is a perfectly fine learning tool.  My very, very first programming experience was in BASIC, and while it was limited, it was still pretty cool.

If you learn VB in a manner that emphasizes algorithms and problem solving, which (I believe) is fundamental to any programming language, you'll be okay.

All languages have identifiers, keywords that indicate loops, some kind of object or variable, etc.  It might take a while to learn the grammar of a specific programming language, but you can know every technical detail of C++ and still not know how to program.
[/quote]

I also easily adapted from Visual Basic to C and then C++.  I spent about a day reading books, a week or so playing around with the language and the compiler and I was soon able to make a binary bot in it.  Visual Basic provided me with the foundation required to move on to bigger and better things.
January 24, 2005, 4:27 PM
Dyndrilliac
http://www.vbtutor.net/vbtutor.html
January 24, 2005, 4:47 PM

Search